Week Fifteen: Detroit Lions (6-7) @ New York Jets (7-6)

MichiganCardinal

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

how's darius slay doing?

Hey now I thought he was washed up too when we traded him. He was a then 30 year old CB coming off his 2 worst non rookie seasons of his career and appeared to be trending downwards. DBs tend to die after 30, whether it was Talib, Revis, Asomugha etc. very few played at a high level after 30 no matter how good they were in their 20s. Couple that with the said down seasons and yeah it's easy to see why people thought he was done. 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Hey now I thought he was washed up too when we traded him. He was a then 30 year old CB coming off his 2 worst non rookie seasons of his career and appeared to be trending downwards. DBs tend to die after 30, whether it was Talib, Revis, Asomugha etc. very few played at a high level after 30 no matter how good they were in their 20s. Couple that with the said down seasons and yeah it's easy to see why people thought he was done. 

yes, but you can admit you were wrong and not be an obnoxious ass about it.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - the over exubernce is to be expected, but the over/under on the next three is probably really more like about 1.5. Still, who's complaining that the the conversation is even possible?

Some of the exuberance is that the schedule, frankly, isn't the hardest remaining, particularly compared to their competitors. No games against the Chiefs or 49ers or Dolphins or Vikings.

That doesn't guarantee success, but they have a legitimate path if they play their cards right.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Some of the exuberance is that the schedule, frankly, isn't the hardest remaining, particularly compared to their competitors. No games against the Chiefs or 49ers or Dolphins or Vikings.

That doesn't guarantee success, but they have a legitimate path if they play their cards right.

everyone is excited.  you can be excited while also being nervous because youve seen the lions fail before in similar situations.  its ok to want them to win - even to think they should win - while also being scared they wont win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

yes, but you can admit you were wrong and not be an obnoxious ass about it.

Well, I don't know that I have ever mentioned Darius Slay on this forum. I did not bring him up in this conversation. You literally resurrected a nearly 3 year old trade and then talk about someone being an obnoxious ass about it?

Our Rams pick back to number 4 after the their loss tonight. The Broncos currently are sitting at 3 and play the Rams next week so needless to say that's a big one draft pick wise. Considering the Broncos are also giving up their 1st round pick there isn't a ton of incentive for them to tank the game for pick position so don't got to worried about that. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Our Rams pick back to number 4 after the their loss tonight. The Broncos currently are sitting at 3 and play the Rams next week so needless to say that's a big one draft pick wise. Considering the Broncos are also giving up their 1st round pick there isn't a ton of incentive for them to tank the game for pick position so don't got to worried about that. 

i dont think nfl teams tank, i think theyre just bad.

houston has taken dallas and kc to the wire two weeks in a row.  they just cant finish.  same with the injured rams and denver.  the broncos just smoked the cards.  the cards arent tanking, they just suck.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Russell Wilson is healthy there would be incentive to try to get him going. The Broncos defense is still really good so I think they can win that one.

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

everyone is excited.  you can be excited while also being nervous because youve seen the lions fail before in similar situations.  its ok to want them to win - even to think they should win - while also being scared they wont win.

For me it doesn't have anything to do with it being the Lions. The fans may have long memories of bad experiences, the players don't.

I don't care who you are in the NFL, winning 6 straight at any time isn't a cinch, less so with 2 of last 3 on the road and less than that with one in the cold in GB. Sure they may do it, but they may not. I'd put it at about 50/50 - like it would be for almost any mid-level or even upper tier NFL team asked to do the same. 

If they get to 9-8 and end up at home, I'll still call it great season coming after 3 wins, and be excited to see what Holmes can do with another set of picks. If they get further, I'll still be rooting.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

Just now, buddha said:

i dont think nfl teams tank, i think theyre just bad.

houston has taken dallas and kc to the wire two weeks in a row.  they just cant finish.  same with the injured rams and denver.  the broncos just smoked the cards.  the cards arent tanking, they just suck.

I don't necessarily think so either, I'm positive the players themselves don't once they are out on the field but I think it's possible that teams may make personnel decisions that may make the team worse with the thought of getting a better draft selection.  Either way just pointing out that if you are one of those people that believes that you don't have to worry about it this game. 

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

For me it doesn't have anything to do with it being the Lions. The fans may have long memories of bad experiences, the players don't.

I don't care who you are in the NFL, winning 6 straight at any time isn't a cinch, less so with 2 of last 3 on the road and less than that with one in the cold in GB. Sure they may do it, but they may not. I'd put it at about 50/50 - like it would be for almost any mid-level or even upper tier NFL team asked to do the same. 

If they get to 9-8 and end up at home, I'll still call it great season coming after 3 wins, and be excited to see what Holmes can do with another set of picks. If they get further, I'll still be rooting.

i think this has already been a successful season, even if they dont make the playoffs.  heck, even if they lose their last three.

10 hours ago, buddha said:

in 2000 the lions were 9-6 and only needed to beat a 4 win bears team with cade mcnown at qb to clinch a playoff berth.  at home.

first, lions fans knew because the game was not sold out.  second, what we all knew would happen did happen as the lions lost to the bears on a last second 50+ yard field goal and they were out of the playoffs.

after the game, wcf cleaned house and hired matt millen to direct the franchise.  we spent the next 20 years wandering in the wilderness that was bad even by lions standards.

so let us not assume that this team is beating anyone until it actually does.

/oldmanrant

Isn't that the game Herman Moore dropped a sure TD pass while being wide open? All of the SOL teams blend together. But this team has a much different feel to it. Kinda cocky...like they expect to win. And Vegas agrees!

9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

At least I'm not bringing up shit from five years ago like an angry girlfriend.

A game from 22 years ago was brought up. And I'm telling you, this team is different. After we win at Minny in the 1st round, we'll get revenge on Philly at their place. Then, on to the NFC Championship game in San Francisco.  Book it!!

9 hours ago, buddha said:

i think this has already been a successful season, even if they dont make the playoffs.  heck, even if they lose their last three.

With higher expectations, comes greater disappointment. Setting the bar this low is a way to lessen future disappointment. I want to go the other way and relish every bit of possible success my favorite team gets. Yeah, we may eventually lose but our opponent will know they were in a dogfight!

10 hours ago, buddha said:

in 2000 the lions were 9-6 and only needed to beat a 4 win bears team with cade mcnown at qb to clinch a playoff berth.  at home.

first, lions fans knew because the game was not sold out.  second, what we all knew would happen did happen as the lions lost to the bears on a last second 50+ yard field goal and they were out of the playoffs.

after the game, wcf cleaned house and hired matt millen to direct the franchise.  we spent the next 20 years wandering in the wilderness that was bad even by lions standards.

so let us not assume that this team is beating anyone until it actually does.

/oldmanrant

That game was probably my real introduction to Lions' culture. After 10 years in Chicago and the end of the Ditka era to Dave Wannstedt, etc...only to land into the beginning of the Matt Milen , Marty Morhinweg fiasco.

Just an aside note, part of my wife's job at the time was managing the radio broadcasts of the teams on the local CBS stations. In Chicago she had the Bears and Blackhawks. This was shortly after the merger of CBS Radio, Westinghouse, and Infinity Broadcasting. The Bears moved to WBBM from WMAQ (later the Score). Her new job in Detroit was similar for a few years.

That final game was on Christmas Eve as I recall. The night before we hosted the Bears broadcast team for dinner. Fond memories of Tom Thayer sinking deeply into an overstuffed living room chair.

The game was just icing on the cake.

Maybe we were forewarned when the weekend we made an impromptu visit to Detroit was the same weekend Bobby Ross resigned and the Streeterville (?) neighborhood in Chicago had a massive power outage..