The 2021 Report Card

Pitchers (over 30 IP)

Tyler Alexander B  He always seems to find his way into the rotation and he's a valuable and versatile piece to have

Matthew Boyd B-.  He was fairly effective when he was healthy

Jose Cisnero B - Solid overall but when he had a bad inning it was a BAD inning

Buck Farmer F -  We endured this for 8 seasons.  How in the world did that happen?

Michael Fulmer  A-   Has embraced his new role as a late bullpen arm and the velocity has returned.  Adding a wicked curveball too

Kyle Funkhouser B+  The proof what what a great pitching coach can do.  They fixed the flaws

Bryan Garcia F  Mr. Meltdown.  Relievers who can't or won't throw strikes don't belong in MLB

Derek Holland  C-  Brutal Start, but settled in and ate up innings when we needed them

Joe Jimenez F - He's got a good arm, but he has never put it together when it counts

Alex Lange  C - Hard to do much with this grade but maybe I should have bumped him up for plunking Abreu

Casey Mize  A-  After adjustments were made in late April he had a 3.47 ERA.  Really consistent

Daniel Norris F - After all-too-rare flashes it was time to go. 

Wily Peralta  B-  A very pleasant surprise. Worth re-signing.  

Matt Manning B-  His numbers don't blow you away but he had some very good starts. Hopefully he develops like Casey & Tarik in year 2

Tairk Skubal B+  Had a very solid season.  Tends to give up a lot of home runs, but he also strikes out a ton. Bright future

Gregory Soto A-  Became an effective closer which is a role he should have for years with this team (no more catching a ball with pitching hand)

Spencer Turnbull  A  Tough year with COVID and injuries but he gave us the highlight of the season when we desperately needed something. 

Jose Urena  D   He is what he is - Destined to be a journeyman.  We seem to sign one every year

Catchers

Grayson Greiner  C-.   He's a #3 or #4 catcher, what do you want from him?

Dustin Darneau  C  Gave us a little pop and stabilized the position when there were injuries.  Team could upgrade next year

Eric Haase  B+   A very pleasant surprise and hje helped spark the team.  Too many stretches of hit vacancies. I doubt he repeats this year

Wilson Ramos  D  He had the league lead in home runs for a weak.  Terrible defensive catcher and the team vastly improved when he left

Jake Rogers  B  He actually showed some hitting ability, more than we need from him.  Is great with the pitchers and will be missed in 2022

Infielders

Miguel Cabrera C  We are enjoying watching the milestones topple but he wasn't very good for much of this season.  No fountain of youth steroids anymore in baseball. 

Jeimer Candelario  B  Has become a very steady player on this team.  A doubles machine who may start hitting HRs soon.  Great defensive player too. Sign him. 

Harold Castro B  Okay, he won't walk, but he also won't strikeout a ton.  He can play almost everywhere, which AJ Hinch loves

Willi Castro D   After last year's impressive hitting he fell flat on his face this year and he didn't really grab an opportunity to stay in the lineup

Niko Goodrum  D   A guy who was easy to forget.  Like Willi, a man without a position and doesn't hit enough to force you to play him daily

Isaac Paredes C  He's got a promising bat, but we haven't seen enough to say he's an everyday guy.  He'll be in a battle with 4 or 5 guys to stay around

Jonathan Schoop  B+  Can't discount that horrible first month but became a steady bat day after day.  Glad he's re signed

Zack Short  D   We like guys who play hard, but we've got plenty of those around.  He just can't hit enough.  

Outfielders

Akil Baddo  B-  The numbers on their own don't floor you but he's an exciting player who seems to be very coachable.   Hope it continues

Daz Cameron  D+   Daz had a couple clutch hits late, but with a glut of young OFs in this organization he's going to prove himself with his next shot, might be his last here. 

Robbie Grossman B+  Ignore the batting average, his OBP remains over .350, he plays great in the field and has a knack for big moments.  A team leader

Derek Hill C  - Fun guy to watch.  As far as injury-prone, he gets hurt playing hard and you can't fault that.  Will be given an opportunity next year to state his case

JaCoby Jones  F   Speed, power, defense, and could never put it all together.  It's over. 

Nomar Mazara F  Why does it feel like he's an old guy, he's only 26?   He was blocking the kids, no need for him to have stayed.  Wish him luck. 

Victor Reyes  C+  Was electric in the last 2 months but you have to do it all season, at least a little.  We've already had  Ryan Raburn, we don't need another.  Still a high ceiling and could be a major wild card in the OF mix next year

Managers & Coaches  A+.   

They got the most out of an unimpressive-looking lineup.   They find little things that guys need to fix and they fix them and make the whole team better.   Kevin Cash will get AL Manager of the Year and you can't argue with that, but AJ Hinch should get some votes (being part of the Astros scandal will lose him votes).   Getting 77 wins out of a season that started 9-24 is extremely impressive and you only wonder what they might be able to do with more talent.  The future is bright with these coaches.  Best in my lifetime.   I think there is a good chance we lose George Lombard, who should be in the mix for a few managers jobs.  

Overall Grade

B-

77-85 should not get you over a C, but the way this team fought back from that horrible start and gave good teams headaches was something to smile about.  They lost a lot of 1-run games and lost a lot of games due to our old friend the bullpen implosion. They somehow made this a fun and interesting season.   They'll have some expectations next year and I hope we get a full season, but I am not optimistic about the labor issue in baseball.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Archie said:

Biggest surprises :  Haase and Baddoo

Biggest disappointments:  Jacoby Jones and Bryan Garcia

We need to see more of Lange and Garneau but from what we've seen I would rate them a tad higher.

Relative to expectations, Garneau is definitely a B... nobody expected the offensive numbers or that he'd fill in as a respectable ML backup catcher. Heck, they DFA'd him and had to trade with Colorado to get him back in the org!

Lange would have been more of a C had he not looked so solid in his last callup... aside from Victor Reyes, I'm not sure another player saw his stock rise more in the last month than Lange.

If Victor Reyes can put it all together for a full season, and what I mean by that is hit .280 or more, he could be a really, really important player on this team.  We all know that to be on AJ Hinch's roster, unless you are a star, you need to be able to play more than one position and he is good in all OF spots.   He does need to walk more often, but that will improve with work.  I think he will bulk up a bit, especially if he wants to stay around.    The Tigers may have a group of 5 outfielders who all play multiple positions, there is going to be a good competition there between Hill-Cameron-Baddoo-Reyes-Greene.  Don't know if they need to sign an OF.    

Shopping list

2 starting pitchers (better than Urena)

1 catcher

1 shortstop, as long as they don't want 30 mil for 8 years or something ridiculous.  

11 hours ago, KL2 said:

Fun fact. We finished two games behind the Padres

Yeah, that really fell apart.  Then the tragedy with the lady and her baby.     Manager fired today (George Lombard will likely be interviewed for this)   I am sure they'll give Bruce Bochy a call to see if he misses the game.  He lives in Poway anyway, so he's already there.   

The Angels finish with the same record as the Tigers with some big money stars.  

Goes to my argument that maybe throwing a very large amount of money on one guy is not the way.   I think Correa is going to be way too expensive.   I want no part of Trevor Story (check his career splits home vs. away, he's a Coors Field hitter).  Marcus Semien might be possible but now he's a big home run guy which means a big salary guy.   I am interested to see what the Dodgers are going to do with Corey Seager and Trea Turner.   Turner is the guy I'd want, but they may never get the shot at him.   If we want Corey Seagar, we're going to have to overpay like with Ivan Rodriguez.  He'd want more to play here.    He also may want to play with his brother, the two of them may sign with the same team.   Plus the Mariners are so very close.   Both are Free Agents now, this could be interesting.   

Back to the Padres.  Manny Machado and Fernando Tatis Jr. hate each other,  the dugout thing was not the only incident, from what I've read and it might be a big part of the Padres problems.   I don't think the Tigers could get Machado without trading Mize or Skubal and Green or Tork as part of the deal, but it seems like Manny might have to go, because it's not going to be Tatis.     Bruce Bochy has the respect to solve that.  

Spend on 3 or 4 good players instead of 1 great one who could get hurt or go flaky.  

I don’t care about the money. I care about the years. So whether they sign a player like Semien for 4/60 or 4/120 doesn’t matter, except for the four years.

I wouldn’t want to give Semien four years, let alone more. He has never strung together even two really good seasons in a row that might warrant four years for his ages 31-34 at the kind of money Wasserman will demand and get.

13 minutes ago, Archie said:

I wouldn't want to sign Semien or Story for more than a year or two.  I'm sure both are looking for long term deals as anyone would.  If Tigers are looking at either of them I would wait until last minute if they were available and maybe get a deal.

this is a great plan if you want Niko Goodrum to be the SS on Opening Day.

48 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I would try Kreidler first.  There could be others available that aren't top tier but better than what we have. I'm holding out hope for Correa.  I don't want to see them get stuck long term with Semien or Story especially for a lot of money. I don't think they're worth it.

57 minutes ago, Archie said:

I would try Kreidler first.  There could be others available that aren't top tier but better than what we have. I'm holding out hope for Correa.  I don't want to see them get stuck long term with Semien or Story especially for a lot of money. I don't think they're worth it.

At least a SS they have some options if they can't sign someone - even if they are poor options. It's catcher I worry more about because Haase will not due as a regular catcher for any extended period.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If Victor Reyes can put it all together for a full season, and what I mean by that is hit .280 or more, he could be a really, really important player on this team. 

He can hit .280 no problem.  If he wants to be a really important player, he'll need to draw walks (which will never happen) or hit for power

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Yes, if they want a real shortstop they are probably going to have to spend a large amount of money over a large number of years.  If they don't want to spend money, they'll end up with someone like Goodrum.  A lot of fans are talking about Kreidler and he had a nice year (other than the strikeouts) but he isn't someone you want to plan around.  

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Remember when we wanted Rich Aurilia and he signed with Seattle.  We swooped in and got Carlos Guillen and won that move. Maybe we can do something like that again if we don't want to spend $25 or $30 million for a shortstop.    There are better options than Niko/Short that might not cost a fortune.   Still need pitching and plenty of it.  One of our youngsters will end up getting TJ surgery............it's just the law of averages.    

45 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Remember when we wanted Rich Aurilia and he signed with Seattle.  We swooped in and got Carlos Guillen and won that move. Maybe we can do something like that again if we don't want to spend $25 or $30 million for a shortstop....

If the Yankees sign Correa they have a pretty good SS waiting to break into MLB...

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don’t care about the money. I care about the years. So whether they sign a player like Semien for 4/60 or 4/120 doesn’t matter, except for the four years.

I wouldn’t want to give Semien four years, let alone more. He has never strung together even two really good seasons in a row that might warrant four years for his ages 31-34 at the kind of money Wasserman will demand and get.

I disagree, I think the money matters as well as years, maybe to different degrees depending upon the player.  I'm thinking of it in terms of opportunity cost.  A player at 4/60 gives the Tigers a chance at filling other holes at 4/60 as opposed to just going with the same player at 4/120.

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yeah, that really fell apart.  Then the tragedy with the lady and her baby.     Manager fired today (George Lombard will likely be interviewed for this)   I am sure they'll give Bruce Bochy a call to see if he misses the game.  He lives in Poway anyway, so he's already there.   

The Angels finish with the same record as the Tigers with some big money stars.  

Goes to my argument that maybe throwing a very large amount of money on one guy is not the way.   I think Correa is going to be way too expensive.   I want no part of Trevor Story (check his career splits home vs. away, he's a Coors Field hitter).  Marcus Semien might be possible but now he's a big home run guy which means a big salary guy.   I am interested to see what the Dodgers are going to do with Corey Seager and Trea Turner.   Turner is the guy I'd want, but they may never get the shot at him.   If we want Corey Seagar, we're going to have to overpay like with Ivan Rodriguez.  He'd want more to play here.    He also may want to play with his brother, the two of them may sign with the same team.   Plus the Mariners are so very close.   Both are Free Agents now, this could be interesting.   

Back to the Padres.  Manny Machado and Fernando Tatis Jr. hate each other,  the dugout thing was not the only incident, from what I've read and it might be a big part of the Padres problems.   I don't think the Tigers could get Machado without trading Mize or Skubal and Green or Tork as part of the deal, but it seems like Manny might have to go, because it's not going to be Tatis.     Bruce Bochy has the respect to solve that.  

Spend on 3 or 4 good players instead of 1 great one who could get hurt or go flaky.  

If the Mariners sign Seager then we should trade for Crawford.