2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Where do we put posts around stupid transactions by other teams?  The Angels just spent $21M for one season of Thor Syndegaard.  You have guys like Ohtani, Trout and Rendon, and you blow your money on a questionable (physically) starting pitcher?  Trout may never see the postseason again with dumbass moves like this.

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

NBA got a cap on contract length years ago and then recently got another one pushed through.

does not sound like that is a core MLB issue, but possible that they ask for a 8 year cap which would impact Seagar and Correa if they don't sign pre-lock out

Ah - that's an example where the dance can get complex. If you are ownership and you know you are angling for contract length caps are you going give away in Nov what the league would "make" you keep in your pocket in the Spring? 

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

As I recall he then found his bearings. 

He never really got it going. The other levels he started slow and then lit it up. He never really demolished AAA pitching. It fine. I mean the fact he had a .350 OBP in AAA is a damn miracle when you considered he was drafted basically missed a 2 years and then did all that in his first professional season. It just a situation where you could make the argument you want to see a bit more in AAA before major. I don't think it matters ones way or the other, but its not some lie to say we'd like to see a bit more.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

not really; his BABIP was oddly low

image.png.1a8ca8ee6faf7a5651dd28c067e19ab3.png

It was but its also part of the equation to say it was low. We can't just keep looking to Saber number, at some point you have to look at results. He didn't have the stretch at AAA he did at other levels. Not to say he struggle he just didn't light it up. SOmetimes its not always because or due to BABIP

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

If the goal really is just .500 then I can understand sitting him for the month but assuming we make a splash and sign one of the top SS I believe the Tigers expect to contend for the playoffs.

In that case I feel they need to put the best possible team out from day 1 cause they are going to need every win they can get and I think Tork at 1st, Schoop at 2nd and one of the Castros on the bench is the best team they can put out. Will it equate to wins? Who knows,  Tork very well may struggle but all you can do is give yourself the best chance to win and field the best team and like I said I think the lineup with Tork is just that. 

Of course this can change if they sign a decent stop gap 1B that is capable of putting up plus offense and allowing Schoop to stay at 2nd but I'm skeptical they are going to do that. 

Again its one month, at best Tork would help us win what 2 games in that month over Harold Castro. Is it that important this year over that extra year of control (given curret CBA set ups) when you consider I don't think anyone considers us "contenders." If Mize et all were at the peak and they were one more impact bat away sure. Right now, I'd rather take that extra year. 

7 minutes ago, KL2 said:

It was but its also part of the equation to say it was low. We can't just keep looking to Saber number, at some point you have to look at results. He didn't have the stretch at AAA he did at other levels. Not to say he struggle he just didn't light it up. SOmetimes its not always because or due to BABIP

Batting average, like ERA for pitchers, is a poor tool for evaluation, especially for small samples like a partial season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Slow start yes, but he OPS'd 994 for his 87 AB in September with a HR per 11AB.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I have been assuming that draft pick compensation will follow the old rules for this group of free agents regardless of whether they sign before or after an agreement is reached.  Is this correct?   Payroll constraints are a different story.  

I don't know. I just hear bits and pieces and usually get it wrong when I try to remember it. Did I hear age 27 or 29 to be a FA? It's still too early to hear many of the proposals, I guess. The current CBA doesn't end until December 1st.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He struggled initially as he does at every level.  He got better later.

Since this is a hot stove thread, let's think about trades. In order to get talent back, we would need to offer talent. Skubal? I would say Tork and Greene as untouchable. Same with Mize and Manning. Maybe we're all overlooking trading for a SS. Maybe with a team that signs one of the SS on the market? Just about anyone would be better than what we ran out there.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Since this is a hot stove thread, let's think about trades. In order to get talent back, we would need to offer talent. Skubal? I would say Tork and Greene as untouchable. Same with Mize and Manning. Maybe we're all overlooking trading for a SS. Maybe with a team that signs one of the SS on the market? Just about anyone would be better than what we ran out there.

Generally when you trade, you exchange a surplus for an area of weakness. There is no point creating a hole to fill a different one. 

Edited by Longgone

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

His strikeout rate is very promising.  Manning didn't really show much of anything.  Anyway, it's way too early to make conclusions about either one of them.    

Yeah, and Skubal is a LH. Generally more valuable. I just see an upside with Manning that will be around for a while. Skubals strikeouts are impressive though.

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Manning didn't really show much of anything.  Anyway, it's way too early to make conclusions about either one of them.    

man you are a tough audience. I thought Manning showed the potential to be dominating, when he commanded his secondaries. 

But last season he was like where Mize was in 2020, rough, but too good to learn anything else against AAA hitters. He needs/needed the challenge of throwing all his pitches to big leaguers to sort out what is going to work for him and make the needed adjustments - like Mize had to move from the Split to more sliders once he faced big-leaguers.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, romad1 said:

I had done some other research in the now-infamous gambling site formerly known as MTS in which I showed that Detroit was about a step below Boston in terms of market size for MLB franchises.  I think just behind us was St. Louis which has a large part of the Southern US still (basically SEC West)...which is not reflected here.   Also, Atlanta has a larger market than this as well for similar reasons (Basically SEC East). 

I want aware of that. It's interesting. I thought "markets" were limited geographically I guess. 

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

man you are a tough audience. I thought Manning showed the potential to be dominating, when he commanded his secondaries. 

But last season he was like where Mize was in 2020, rough, but too good to learn anything else against AAA hitters. He needs/needed the challenge of throwing all his pitches to big leaguers to sort out what is going to work for him and make the needed adjustments - like Mize had to move from the Split to more sliders once he faced big-leaguers.

Just by the eye test, it seemed like Manning had untouchable stuff at times. If Skubal gives up another 35 home runs, his Tiger career may be in jeopardy. Yes, the strikeouts were nice but it means more pitches thrown. I don't know the advanced stats but Manning was learning at the ML level last season, never easy to do.

6 hours ago, KL2 said:

I would think its a bit of bird in the hand. Like E-Rod knows he has $77 million in the bank. If he holds on for the new CBA is that figure really going to change all that much? Maybe for someone a few extra, the new CBA is likely to impact guys like  players with 4 year time or veteran not prime age free agents. Those guys ar ealways gonna get theirs no matter the CBA. But, now E-Rod knows he gets $77 million in the bank. 

But Rodriguez also has the opt out.  Would players be willing to sign now if they have (1) shorter deals or (2) opt outs?  In either event, they could capitalize on a new CBA if it suits them to do so.  However, there is risk that they don't perform for whatever reason.