2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Technically he is DFA correct? That means anyone can pick him up and I assume if they do they get his arb status. But if no-one does I suppose he's a FA.  --- Reading an update from Beck just now he did indeed clear waivers and he is a free agent. In Niko's case that means he will probably be looking at a minor league contract offer with a maybe ST invite.

OK, but what happens to Niko's arb status is what I'm wondering. If he signs a minor league contract and makes the majors, how much does he get paid?

The underlying assumption of my question is that if any team signing him is responsible for going to arbitration with him, then I have to assume he is dunzo, at least in America. Because who's gonna pay Niko three huge for his ... err ... production?

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

OK, but what happens to Niko's arb status is what I'm wondering. If he signs a minor league contract and makes the majors, how much does he get paid?

The underlying assumption of my question is that if any team signing him is responsible for going to arbitration with him, then I have to assume he is dunzo, at least in America. Because who's gonna pay Niko three huge for his ... err ... production?

He's a free agent. Whatever contract he signs for is what he will be paid.

6 minutes ago, Longgone said:

He's a free agent. Whatever contract he signs for is what he will be paid.

And what happens to Niko's arb status?

Niko was eligible in 2021 for the first time and they avoided a hearing by agreeing to a contract. He is second-year eligible going into 2022. What happens for 2023? Does he repeat second-year arb eligibility? Does he become third-year arb eligible? Will his arb status get reset and he is first-year eligible all over again in 2023? What happens to it?

Let's pretend the CBA isn't going to change anything in this regard. What happens to Niko's arb status?

Edited by chasfh

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And what happens to Niko's arb status?

Niko was eligible in 2021 for the first time and they avoided a hearing by agreeing to a contract. He is second-year eligible going into 2022. What happens for 2023? Does he repeat second-year arb eligibility? Does he become third-year arb eligible? Will his arb status get reset and he is first-year eligible all over again in 2023? What happens to it?

Let's pretend the CBA isn't going to change anything in this regard. What happens to Niko's arb status?

A team can sign him to a major league deal this year and then he would be under their control for his final year of arbitration as well. Example:

Tony Sipp was released by the Padres in May 2014 when he had between four and five years of Major League service time. The left-hander subsequently signed a guaranteed Major League contract with the Astros that ran through the end of the '14 campaign. Because he finished the season with less than six years of Major League service time, Sipp was eligible for salary arbitration as opposed to free agency. Sipp qualified as a free agent following the 2015 season and re-signed with the Astros on a three-year deal.

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

A team can sign him to a major league deal this year and then he would be under their control for his final year of arbitration as well. Example:

Tony Sipp was released by the Padres in May 2014 when he had between four and five years of Major League service time. The left-hander subsequently signed a guaranteed Major League contract with the Astros that ran through the end of the '14 campaign. Because he finished the season with less than six years of Major League service time, Sipp was eligible for salary arbitration as opposed to free agency. Sipp qualified as a free agent following the 2015 season and re-signed with the Astros on a three-year deal.

I believe, if he doesn't have contract for the following season, and he meets the qualifications, he maintains his arbitration rights.

4 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

If they sign him to a major league deal, do they have to go to arbitration with him?

If they sign him to a minor league deal and he makes the majors, can they pay him major league minimum, or must they pay him some other amount? And if this happens, what will be his arb eligibility status for 2023?

3 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I believe, if he doesn't have contract for the following season, and he meets the qualifications, he maintains his arbitration rights.

Yes but nobody wanted to pay for his second year of arbitration so I doubt anyone will want to pay for his third year.

He could have done himself a big favor and listened to the team and batted right handed, making the necessary adjustments to improve his game. Then he might be making three million now but he didn't and he's probably going to have to sign for one million somewhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If they sign him to a major league deal, do they have to go to arbitration with him?

If they sign him to a minor league deal and he makes the majors, can they pay him major league minimum, or must they pay him some other amount? And if this happens, what will be his arb eligibility status for 2023?

No they don't have to go to arbitration this year because he's a free agent now. If they keep him next year he would be eligible for his third year of arbitration but he will probably end up in the same situation again. Nobody will want to pay for arbitration again and he will be released, go unclaimed and become a free agent.

This season he can sign for whatever contract he wants but what are teams realistically going to offer?

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

They say they picked that name out of homage to statues near Progressive Field that have been known as "The Guardians of Traffic" since their inception. Atleast that's the reason they give anyway. 

"They" say a lot of things...."call before you dig"..."look both ways before you cross"..."don't put your finger in a light socket."..Frankly...I've had it with the nanny state

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think he can go through the same non-tender process so the team is not FORCED to give arbitration. 

Doesn't matter minor or MLB contract, he gets paid only per the contract and is not eligible for arbitration because of the contract.

31 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

No they don't have to go to arbitration this year because he's a free agent now. If they keep him next year he would be eligible for his third year of arbitration but he will probably end up in the same situation again. Nobody will want to pay for arbitration again and he will be released, go unclaimed and become a free agent.

This season he can sign for whatever contract he wants but what are teams realistically going to offer?

So let me see if I have this straight:

If someone signs him to any contract, whether it's a major league or minor league contract, they can pay him as little as the major league minimum regardless that he is 2nd-year arb eligible.

However, he maintains his place in the arb queue, which means next winter he would be 3rd-year arbitration eligible.

At that point his new team would have to decide whether to keep him, at which point they would have to go through the arbitration process with him, or waive or release him.

Is that straight?

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If someone signs him to any contract, whether it's a major league or minor league contract, they can pay him as little as the major league minimum regardless that he is 2nd-year arb eligible.

However, he maintains his place in the arb queue, which means next winter he would be 3rd-year arbitration eligible.

At that point his new team would have to decide whether to keep him, at which point they would have to go through the arbitration process with him, or waive or release him.

Is that straight?

sort of funny isn't it? I guess Free Agency is considered the highest good in the hierarchy so if you  give someone that, you have no other obligation to them  - more or less.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is that straight?

I'm under the impression once he rejected assignment to Toledo he became a free agent and the arbitration rules don't apply to him. He's no longer arbitration eligible. 

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

The "Guardians"...how much did the popularity of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the MCU play into the choice of that name?  They would join the Anaheim  Ducks (ne Mighty Ducks of Anaheim) and the Toronto Raptors (Jurassic Park) as teams with names influenced by popular cinema.

The next expansion team should be called the Baseball Furies..but MLB may not be good with all the make up

None.

Guardians was picked because all they had to do was change like 2 letters and put the little do hickey to make a g instead of a c on the stand alone logo

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is that straight?

Yes but just to confuse things he could sign a two year contract right now and that would nullify his arbitration in 2023 but who's realistically going to do that after the past two seasons of mediocrity?

He should have made the adjustments the Tigers wanted him to make but now his best bet is to sign for one year and hope he performs like his first two seasons.

Edited by Tigermojo

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I never understood switch hitters like Niko that are so terrible from one side of the plate yet they still stick with it. I mean could he possibly have been worse if he just batted right handed against righties?

I've wondered that exact same thing about several of our "switch" hitters over the past 10+ years. But people claim there is insufficient data in their splits to justify change. And I've always been like "no s*** sherlock, they won't bat against an other-handed pitcher,  conventionally,  often enough to develop a sufficient base"...

Just another Jedi mind trick, I suppose.