Lamar Jackson to the Lions?

Figured this deserved its own thread. Offer sheet is out that requires 2 first-rounders for him. Article I read said 5/$250 contract would take. If we are talking about taking a QB at 6, shouldn't we consider this? We'd have to give up pick 18 and our 1st next year for him, but it looks like we'd still be in good shape.  Thoughts on this? Maybe flip Goff somewhere for something (even if we ate his salary)? Heck he was a pro-bowler this year.......

https://www.motownlions.com/2023/03/08/detroit-lions-have-to-consider-an-offer-sheet-for-lamar-jackson/

18 months ago Id probably jump at the chance for Lamar despite the risks just cause the reward would be sky high but now I don't feel that way given the trajectory and improvements we have made. 

Id much rather stay the course and continue to build the team and see where things go. Maybe we will find in a year or two that there is indeed a ceiling to where a Goff led team can go(don't buy that personally) and like the Rams did we can cross that bridge if/when we get to that point. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I’m not sure how I feel about the possibility of Lamar.  I keep going back and forth.   These stats are loaded though.   The offensive talent and schemes around Goff have been so much better.  I kind of think had their situations been reversed the difference for Jackson in LA and Detroit vs Goff in Baltimore would be more skewed in Lamar’s favor than they currently are for Goff.

Reality is if he wants a guaranteed contract there is zero chance of him coming here.   Sheila wouldn’t go against the best interests of the rest of the owners like moron Haslem did. 

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure how I feel about the possibility of Lamar.  I keep going back and forth.   These stats are loaded though.   The offensive talent and schemes around Goff have been so much better.  I kind of think had their situations been reversed the difference for Jackson in LA and Detroit vs Goff in Baltimore would be more skewed in Lamar’s favor than they currently are for Goff.

Reality is if he wants a guaranteed contract there is zero chance of him coming here.   Sheila wouldn’t go against the best interests of the rest of the owners like moron Haslem did. 

a healthy lamar jackson is a much better qb than jared goff, but the price to get him and keep him is too high.  pass.

Goff is probably out of the league and semi-retired in Northern California if he’d been drafted by Baltimore and put in the same situation as Lamar.  

There are many reasons to say no to Lamar but Goff being a better QB isn’t one of them.  

I see three factors that go into this. After looking at them I’m closer on this than I thought I would be, but I’m still firmly in the no thank you camp.

1) Money: With the contracts given to lesser QBs Daniel Jones and Derek Carr, I don’t think $50MM AAV is that far off what we are looking to likely have to pay Goff in an extension. I don’t think Lamar will get a fully guaranteed contract, either for collusion or for Watson’s contract being asinine. The problems in Baltimore have gone beyond money, to being personal. Lamar needs someone to stroke his and his mother’s ego at the negotiating table, but they won’t hold out forever for the guaranteed money because I don’t think it’s coming.

2) Assets: I don’t love the concept of giving up #18 and a 2024 1st, but I think part of that will be recouped by trading Goff. I don’t know that he gets a 24 1st, but he might. If so we are probably looking at an upgrade in our 24 1st and just giving up 18.

3) The players themselves: I won’t go so far as to say Goff is better than Lamar. I think there is a possibility he will be over the next five years though. The biggest thing for me here though is not rocking the boat. Things are going good with Goff. The offense that was built around him is rocking and rolling. Why derail that? Lamar could be better, but it’s the “mystery box” that’s been mentioned here before. No one is forcing you to make a move, you have Goff on a deal that’s looking pretty team friendly right now. Don’t light that on fire for a “sizzle” move.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I've kicked around the idea of adding Lamar Jackson and I keep cooling on the idea. Goff and two 1's is just more valuable than Lamar Jackson. 

100% agreed.  I can't say that I'm not seriously tempted by the idea of an offense run by Johnson with a legit dual threat QB. But I'm gonna fall back on what Holmes said earlier: It's a lot easier to get worse at QB than to get better.  Given the injuries plus the costs involved in a trade and I'm gonna say no.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I see three factors that go into this. After looking at them I’m closer on this than I thought I would be, but I’m still firmly in the no thank you camp.

1) Money: With the contracts given to lesser QBs Daniel Jones and Derek Carr, I don’t think $50MM AAV is that far off what we are looking to likely have to pay Goff in an extension. I don’t think Lamar will get a fully guaranteed contract, either for collusion or for Watson’s contract being asinine. The problems in Baltimore have gone beyond money, to being personal. Lamar needs someone to stroke his and his mother’s ego at the negotiating table, but they won’t hold out forever for the guaranteed money because I don’t think it’s coming.

2) Assets: I don’t love the concept of giving up #18 and a 2024 1st, but I think part of that will be recouped by trading Goff. I don’t know that he gets a 24 1st, but he might. If so we are probably looking at an upgrade in our 24 1st and just giving up 18.

3) The players themselves: I won’t go so far as to say Goff is better than Lamar. I think there is a possibility he will be over the next five years though. The biggest thing for me here though is not rocking the boat. Things are going good with Goff. The offense that was built around him is rocking and rolling. Why derail that? Lamar could be better, but it’s the “mystery box” that’s been mentioned here before. No one is forcing you to make a move, you have Goff on a deal that’s looking pretty team friendly right now. Don’t light that on fire for a “sizzle” move.

I want to add that I don't think Goff is better but I don't think Goff is worse. Obviously Jackson allows you to do things you can't do with Goff but I also think Goff is a more reliable pocket passer than Jackson. I'm not sure if Jackson will be able to transition to a pocket passer. His legs are going to go. It's just a matter of time. I don't think the Lions would be worse with Jackson but I'm not sure they would be better. What doesn't get mentioned is that if the Lions negotiate with Jackson, it's over with Goff. You can't offer a contract to Jackson, have Baltimore match, and then just go back to Goff like nothing happened. 

I don’t know this, maybe someone does…could Jackson walk/retire and still get all his $ with a fully guaranteed contract? Is there any circumstance that takes a team off the hook for it? Seems way too risky for me. Still regardless of any details on that, he’s way too expensive, so no.

"The Lions ceiling with Goff is a playoff win or two". Yet Goff actually led a team to a Superbowl....in real life.

"But the ceiling with Jackson is getting to the Superbowl and winning it". Yet Jackson hasn't even won a playoff game or "two", he's won just one, ya know, in real life.

Somebody actually pays this yutz to write articles? Jackson would make the Lions more exciting but, I don't know, I prefer wins over excitement and I'm not sure that paying a glorified running back $50m/yr, a runner that is becoming injury prone, while also giving up two 1sts is conducive to winning but that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NYLion said:

"The Lions ceiling with Goff is a playoff win or two". Yet Goff actually led a team to a Superbowl....in real life.

"But the ceiling with Jackson is getting to the Superbowl and winning it". Yet Jackson hasn't even won a playoff game or "two", he's won just one, ya know, in real life.

Somebody actually pays this yutz to write articles? Jackson would make the Lions more exciting but, I don't know, I prefer wins over excitement and I'm not sure that paying a glorified running back $50m/yr, a runner that is becoming injury prone, while also giving up two 1sts is conducive to winning but that's just me.

Who wants to live in real life when you can imagine what might happen if you open the mystery box!

One thing I can't get past is that the Ravens are one of the best runs teams in the NFL. They have been playoff contenders for two straight decades. They have won two Super Bowls during that time and yet they don't seem sold on Lamar Jackson. Are we to believe the Ravens are making a huge mistake or they know something we don't know? They know there is too much risk in giving him a ton of guaranteed money. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

One thing I can't get past is that the Ravens are one of the best runs teams in the NFL. They have been playoff contenders for two straight decades. They have won two Super Bowls during that time and yet they don't seem sold on Lamar Jackson. Are we to believe the Ravens are making a huge mistake or they know something we don't know? They know there is too much risk in giving him a ton of guaranteed money. 

Thank you! They have tailor made their offense for him and he can’t win them playoff games. He was also unable (or unwilling) to suit up for them when their season depended on it. What is the attraction to him again, other than this foolish notion that a QB who can pick up a first down by risking his body is somehow better than a QB who can pick up a first down by making the right check, the right read, and the right throw?