03/30/2023 3:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Tampa Bay Rays

casimir

14 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I predict a 1-9 start that ends in 56 win season.  

At Tampa for 3, at Houston for 3, vs Boston for 3, at Toronto for 3, vs San Francisco for 3, vs Cleveland for 3.  That's not exactly a way to ease into the season.  And when a team is bottom third of the league, most matchups look tough anyway.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, KL2 said:

Really they are gonna be 10 games worse than last year where the entire team was hurt and so dramatically underperformed their career norms? That seems unlikely

I want to be wrong but my gut says that through a combination of bad luck and bad players, the pitching is much worse than ever imagined.   I also don’t envision Vierling, Maton, and Meadows being impactful over the course of a long season.   Big drop offs from Schoop and Haase aren’t made up by small improvements from Baez and Tork.   Greene gets injured again and misses significant time.   That’s how I got to 56.

Edited by Hongbit

12 hours ago, KL2 said:

Really they are gonna be 10 games worse than last year where the entire team was hurt and so dramatically underperformed their career norms? That seems unlikely

I can see a better team in June/July yield a similar year end record.  A couple of variables to consider are the schedule and more games outside of a weak division (hence a tougher overall schedule) and possible trades of Rodriguez/Baez/Boyd among others.  But I think it should be a better team for the first 2/3 of the season with expectations of improvements from Greene/Torkleson, rebounds from MeadowsA/Baez, better positional depth, and hopefully not using 57 different pitchers.

36 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Who is all going to the home opener? This will be my 15th straight (minus COVID).

Doing the Mud Hens’ opener with fingers crossed.   3 rounds of precipitation are expected, and hopefully the projected window between the first and second holds true.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I want to be wrong but my gut says that through a combination of bad luck and bad players, the pitching is much worse than ever imagined.   I also don’t envision Vierling, Maton, and Meadows being impactful over the course of a long season.   Big drop offs from Schoop and Haase aren’t made up by small improvements from Baez and Tork.   Greene gets injured again and misses significant time.   That’s how I got to 56.

Don’t worry, you’ll be wrong.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I can see the argument for a similar record to 2022. I dont see it for 58 wins

Not surprised.  Logically it doesn’t make sense to you.  

We see illogical events happen all the time in the world and many smart people still can’t accept the possibility that something that shouldn’t happen does either through circumstance, luck, anomaly, or maybe something that can’t be explained.   

• Like 1