04/02/2023 1:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Tampa Bay Rays

casimir

Its only an one incident with just me but a guy I work with today asked me if I was going to Opening Day and I told him I haven't been down there for that in several years and he's like "Either have I but it's Miggy's last opener so I figured Id go down cause of that."

He's not quite a casual fan but not a diehard either so I wonder how many fans like him have the same mindset.

10 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Harris spent his time cleaning dead wood out of the bench and the bullpen, the scouting organization, and the training staff.  He did not trade for a major league bat because he has SFA to offer in exchange.  I think that his offseason was a B plus.

And Harris couldn’t sign a decent big league bat because this entire organization is SFA at this moment. Haniger had a choice of where to go, and he went to a team that has at least a prayer of contending.

Also, not for nothing, the Giants is Haniger’s hometown team, and he said that it was always his dream to play for them. So, there’s that.

Just now, chasfh said:

Also, not for nothing, the Giants is Haniger’s hometown team, and he said that it was always his dream to play for them. So, there’s that.

Don't know whether the Tigers were in on Brandon Drury, but he said after he signed that he signed for less with the Angels because he's from the West Coast and wanted to stay out there.

It's not like going to the store and buying a loaf of bread, for sure.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Schoop?  He's not versatile.  It's questionable if he is tradeable.  Heck, maybe this is the trade?  DFA Schoop to claim Florial.  Or DFA a RP.

Does anyone know how DFA works? A team puts in a claim? or is the claim based on last years standings, ex the team with the worst pecking record puts in first claim has to work out a deal - and if not then the player is waived or would any team have a chance for a deal straight up and NYY choose which deal?

IMHO, some team(s) more than likely would put in a claim for this player (EFlorial). ... not entirely sure how it works.

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

All I was saying is that this is the time for Hinch to move all his players in and out of roles to see who is capable of what under which circumstances. It’s about what I believe Hinch is trying to accomplish, not about what I personally want Hinch to do, or about whether I think any of this matters.

That’s exactly what the organization should be doing on the field.  Figuring out who can do what.  Essentially this is an extended spring training for 2024.  Why not?

7 minutes ago, alex said:

Does anyone know how DFA works? A team puts in a claim? or is the claim based on last years standings, ex the team with the worst pecking record puts in first claim has to work out a deal - and if not then the player is waived or would any team have a chance for a deal straight up and NYY choose which deal?

IMHO, some team(s) more than likely would put in a claim for this player (EFlorial). ... not entirely sure how it works.

DFA is a way to get a guy off your 40 but still keep him in the system by sending him to the minors.

To DFA a guy, I believe the team must post him to waivers, and I believe it’s irrevocable in that if another organization claims him, we can’t pull him back. He’s gone. I think claims go worst-to-first record in your own league, then worst-to-first in the other league. If he clears waivers, the team can assign him to wherever in the system they want, and the player can either accept the assignment, or pull out of the contract and declare himself a free agent. (Not 100% sure of that last one? But that would be the fair thing to do.)

Edited by chasfh

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

DFA is a way to get a guy off your 40 but still keep him in the system by sending him to the minors.

To DFA a guy, I believe the team must post him to waivers, and I believe it’s irrevocable in that if another organization claims him, we can’t pull him back. He’s gone. I think claims go worst-to-first record in your own league, then worst-to-first in the other league. If he clears waivers, the team can assign him to wherever in the system they want, and the player can either accept the assignment, or pull out of the contract and declare himself a free agent. (Not 100% sure of that last one? But that would be the fair thing to do.)

Thanks for the data!

So, it would seem the first month of the season it goes by the standings of last year, (If I remember correctly) as the worst to first as you said . Then once May 1st is upon us it would go in accordance with the current season standings. (note: I may need to be corrected here)...

If the above holds (based on last years standings for the month of April) - that means two teams, Oakland and KC would get first dibs, then Detroit and so forth.

We may be looking at several waiver claims through the season. I do feel EFlorial may be one of the more interesting players (not that it means that much but he was a top 100 MLB Pipeline for a couple years as well).

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

All I was saying is that this is the time for Hinch to move all his players in and out of roles to see who is capable of what under which circumstances. It’s about what I believe Hinch is trying to accomplish, not about what I personally want Hinch to do, or about whether I think any of this matters.

yeah - I get that as a general proposition, but after the bad starts the last couple of years the team's mentality, let alone its marketing, is in a pretty weak position to survive giving up games early in the season trying to find out what they've got. Maybe if you have a guy with options and you want to teach him a new position you send him to AAA for month?

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Right - If you DFA a player, the waiver is irrevocable, but they could put a player on revocable waivers at any time to guage interest before deciding to chance a DFA that get's a guy to AAA. Of course teams can sand-bag each other on waiver claims as well, but those are the options.

Whether a play has to accept an assignment can depend on service time rules/options etc.

Edited by gehringer_2

40 minutes ago, buddha said:

liar.  you would miss me.  😀

Not really, I would still have your constant bitching about Killian Hayes in the Pistons’ forum to look forward to.😆

Just do me a favor if you do put me on ignore.  Continue with the standard protocol that others have developed and make a scene over putting someone on ignore.  Nothing is more ironic than creating attention over putting someone on ignore.  It’s one of my favorite head scratchers.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Not really, I would still have your constant bitching about Killian Hayes in the Pistons’ forum to look forward to.😆

Just do me a favor if you do put me on ignore.  Continue with the standard protocol that others have developed and make a scene over putting someone on ignore.  Nothing is more ironic than creating attention over putting someone on ignore.  It’s one of my favorite head scratchers.

god dammit!  that's it!  im putting you on ignore!

(how was that?)

4 hours ago, buddha said:

god dammit!  that's it!  im putting you on ignore!

(how was that?)

Not bad.  The usage of exclamation marks and some cursing add some much needed tone.  If you could add a gif of a cat using an ignore button, that’d really be a nice touch that I don’t think has been used yet.