04/02/2023 1:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Tampa Bay Rays

casimir

28 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

The difference is that Mike genuinely cared about the team and fans.  He was emotionally invested.  And we were spoiled by it.  VMart gets hurt in an offseason training accident?  Go sign Prince Fielder to replace him.  While his impulsiveness and willingness to build a winning team led to some regrettable decisions, he was willing to invest to maintain a winner.

Chris, however, is running it like a business with what appears to be very little emotional attachment.  I’m more critical of his blind loyalty to Avila than his willingness to spend, which I think has been unfairly characterized.

Mike cared but after his first season it took him 12 years to post another winning record. Ten winning seasons in 30 seasons under Illitch family ownership. By far the worst ownership group in Tigers history. 

4 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Mike cared but after his first season it took him 12 years to post another winning record. Ten winning seasons in 30 seasons under Illitch family ownership. By far the worst ownership group in Tigers history. 

Yes, Ilitch family ownership.  People can complain about Chris, rightfully so.  But let’s not pretend Mike’s era was all unicorn toots and rainbow ice cream.

Edited by casimir
  • Like 2

We talked about this a lot with last year's team as well, and obviously maybe it isn't the most important thing, but who is the leader in the clubhouse? Who is the guy who commands the respect of the room and helps give them an identity?

Certainly in Spring, it sounded like Haase and Maton were those two guys, but in what I saw offensively this weekend, I saw a team that was sort of aimless and unable to adjust to the quality of their opponent. In that way, it felt like 2022 all over again... lack of talent is one thing, but the effort didn't seem there to me

Edited by mtutiger

This isn't about Chris's neglect on April 2, 2023. His neglect from 2016 until today is what lead this current product.

They could have signed a few legit major league hitters to give the fans something to care about. He could have overriden Harris' McKinsey approach and thrown us a bone. Instead, we are stuck waiting for their young players to declare themselves as busts or contributors before they decide to make substantive change.

7 minutes ago, kdog said:

This isn't about Chris's neglect on April 2, 2023. His neglect from 2016 until today is what lead this current product.

They could have signed a few legit major league hitters to give the fans something to care about. He could have overriden Harris' McKinsey approach and thrown us a bone. Instead, we are stuck waiting for their young players to declare themselves as busts or contributors before they decide to make substantive change.

Having watched too much of Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban over the years, I'm not sure a more hands-on approach is a better one. But that's just me.

4 minutes ago, kdog said:

Schoop should have been DFA'd at the end of last season. You aren't going to get any value out that salary. I'm not sure they have a second baseman who can take over as of now. Or they don't have a 3B if Maton moves.

Not that he's gonna be a savior for this club, but Nevin coming back from the IL would be one way to rip the bandaid off

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

This isn't a salary cap sport like nba or nfl. There are always ways to improve your major league team incrementally with free agents.

No doubt... But I interpreted your comment more about specifically acquiring McKinstry. 

Maybe the team should have done more this offseason, but in terms of individual moves, I don't think the owner should be arbitrarily nixing trades.

15 minutes ago, kdog said:

This isn't a salary cap sport like nba or nfl. There are always ways to improve your major league team incrementally with free agents.

Well, and let’s see what happens in the upcoming off-season.  Cabrera will be gone.  Baez and Rodriguez are possibly gone, but maybe not.  $23M and $18M there if they do stay.  MeadowsA and Turnbull are in their final arbitration hearing.  Alexander and Wingenter would be in their second arbitration hearing.  Everybody else is either going to their first arbitration hearing or they won’t have enough time accrued for arbitration.  Payroll shouldn’t be an issue.  Do they have enough inexpensive talent where some reasonable free agent acquisitions make this team competitive in 2024?

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

Do they have enough inexpensive talent where some reasonable free agent acquisitions make this team competitive in 2024?

This is the crux of the biscuit right here.

Hope we see some of that young talent show up in the remaining 159 games... Because it wasn't readily apparent through the first three games, that's for sure

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It didn't need to be a Correa, but - they didn't add *one* bat of any kind that was even a verified replacement level hitter. Soto and Jimenez went for discount lottery tickets.

I think you know Soto and Jimenez were never going to return a major league regular. And Vierling and Maton are both better than replacement hitters, as evidenced by their positive oWARs.

I don't think we need to rehash the idea that good free agent hitters were never going to sign up to play here in 2023.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBF, the Foley comment was partially facetious, but still, do we want to be 10-30 by the time it's all sorted out? If you're not going to play to win, get out of the game.

Was placing Foley in that situation this game evidence that we weren't playing to win? Is Foley an established quantity when it comes to leverage situations such that A.J. was guilty of managerial malfeasance?

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think you know Soto and Jimenez were never going to return a major league regular. And Vierling and Maton are both better than replacement hitters, as evidenced by their positive oWARs.

I don't think we need to rehash the idea that good free agent hitters were never going to sign up to play here in 2023.

maybe for you .... but its surprising how much better detroit looks if you spend a little extra 

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Certainly not in January but I think they could’ve gotten much better players for Soto had they traded him at the deadline last year.  

As for Vierling and Maton, I don’t think there’s been an adequate sample size to make much of their prior stats.  I’m not sure either are much more than reserve utility guys at the major league level but we will find out for sure this season.  

kjgggggggggggggggvvfdsalfljlfj;sjjsfh;hdsf;hjf;jgvlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;pvvbvccccxxxxxxxxxxxzzzzz/]]]]]]]]]][[[[[[[[[[[[[pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppooooooooooooIIIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWBVQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000990988888888888888888888887777777666666666666666666666666666666666666666665555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555554444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333322222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Well, and let’s see what happens in the upcoming off-season.  Cabrera will be gone.  Baez and Rodriguez are possibly gone, but maybe not.  $23M and $18M there if they do stay.  MeadowsA and Turnbull are in their final arbitration hearing.  Alexander and Wingenter would be in their second arbitration hearing.  Everybody else is either going to their first arbitration hearing or they won’t have enough time accrued for arbitration.  Payroll shouldn’t be an issue.  Do they have enough inexpensive talent where some reasonable free agent acquisitions make this team competitive in 2024?

Probably not. But give me a few guys to watch while you continue to add talent organically through the minors.