04/05/2023 2:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Houston Astros

casimir

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

What matters is that the Tigers won the series!

Yeppers, they did show some things during this series. There is some hope in that they can play some good games (there will be ups and downs and injuries), develop some younger talent and depth and - just perhaps they have a 'vision and direction' moving forward 🤔 🧭

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

What happens if Miggy literally can’t hit anymore? How long until he sees the light ?

They've built their entire marketing plan around his last season. He will play 60 games and see it to the end.

They aren't trying to win. And there should be plenty of DH at-bats for Carpenter and Meadows.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

They've built their entire marketing plan around his last season. He will play 60 games and see it to the end.

They aren't trying to win. And there should be plenty of DH at-bats for Carpenter and Meadows.

Ok thanks I will accept it..what phase is that ? No more wishing. Hope he has a few key on the field moments this year as well.

9 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

So they probably wouldn't even let Miggy free with payment if he wanted to ? I guess you can't blame them it is 32 very very large.

Tigers are forecast to win 67 games this year. If they cut Cabrera and gave his 350 AB to someone else they might expect to win, what, 70 games? 75 games? What’s the difference. Let the guy take a victory lap. Don’t insult the face of your franchise for over a decade at the end of his hall of fame career for the chance of winning a few more games and still having a losing season. 

24 minutes ago, kdog said:

This is entirely an ownership decision. And they want him on the roster to sell tickets and market the tributes.

I think it's being done out of respect more than marketing.  Even if they were a contender, they'd be stuck with him.  

23 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Tigers are forecast to win 67 games this year. If they cut Cabrera and gave his 350 AB to someone else they might expect to win, what, 70 games? 75 games? What’s the difference. Let the guy take a victory lap. Don’t insult the face of your franchise for over a decade at the end of his hall of fame career for the chance of winning a few more games and still having a losing season. 

They would be giving 350 at bats of experience to players who who might be able to help them in the future.  They would find out more about their young players for their future planning.

I understand why he has to be play, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't matter.    

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

They would be giving 350 at bats of experience to players who who might be able to help them in the future.  They would find out more about their young players for their future planning.

I understand why he has to be play, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't matter.    

Yeah those ABs might make a difference of a few wins next season. Maybe. But then you have a whole league full of players see how you insulted one of the best players in your franchise’s history in his last season when you had almost nothing to gain and they think, “That franchise is pathetic AND disrespectful.”

4 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yeah those ABs might make a difference of a few wins next season. Maybe. But then you have a whole league full of players see how you insulted one of the best players in your franchise’s history in his last season when you had almost nothing to gain and they think, “That franchise is pathetic AND disrespectful.”

I wouldn't be so hard on Cabrera if it was one bad year after a great career, but he's been a replacement level career for 7 years (after a great career).  Like I said, I understand why he has to play, but I am not enjoying it.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I wouldn't be so hard on Cabrera if it was one bad year after a great career, but he's been a replacement level career for 7 years (after a great career).  Like I said, I understand why he has to play, but I am not enjoying it.  

Interestingly enough, he looks like he's getting around on FBs. He may be resonably productive for as long as the knee holds out - which is who knows how long? So there may not be much 'crisis' over his ABs for a while until the knee (or something else)  acts up again.