04/15/2023 1:10 pm EDT San Francisco Giants vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

22 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I'm thinking they will be bad, but very interesting in terms of preparing for the future.  

This.  Remember that the Scott Harris-led Giants are probably as bad as his new team.  Our bullpen is going to get crushed by the good teams. Though our hitting will improve.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

When I went to the store to buy some Kratom and I came out it was 6-1 and Lorenzen was finishing up his day.  I gave up.  Went home, cut the back yard grass and it was 6-3, then cut the front yard it was 6-6, so I watched the rest of the way and wound up happy.   3 in a row.  Whooda thunk it? 

Green Malay is my fav...what's your go to?

Edited by Dtrain72

2 hours ago, buddha said:

what masterful bullpen usage by hinch.  and then his pinch hitter wins the gane.  boy, that guy can really manage a game, right guys?

Haha, it helps to put guys in positions which are optimal to their skill sets.  I still hate reliever roulette, but the bullpen deserves their credit today.

And Cabrera hit a ball that, had the infield been playing normally, could have just been a regular ground out.  But again, credit to him for getting the ball where it needed to go.  He was down 0-2 or 1-2 in the count.  I don’t know if he choked up with 2 strikes or if he shortened his swing, or if he just focused on contact.  Whatever, it worked tonight.

29 minutes ago, casimir said:

Haha, it helps to put guys in positions which are optimal to their skill sets.  I still hate reliever roulette, but the bullpen deserves their credit today.

And Cabrera hit a ball that, had the infield been playing normally, could have just been a regular ground out.  But again, credit to him for getting the ball where it needed to go.  He was down 0-2 or 1-2 in the count.  I don’t know if he choked up with 2 strikes or if he shortened his swing, or if he just focused on contact.  Whatever, it worked tonight.

Same thing with Torks hit barely clearing the drawn in infield. Our old buddy Gabe helping us out !

11 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Sometimes it's hit em where they ain't, but if guys like Torkelson and Greene aren't driving the ball with authority, they will be out of the league in about 2 or 3 seasons.

They’re still kids.  They’re going to struggle at times.

BABIP still unkind to Torkelson.  BB% is down significantly this season and SO% is up.  Seems to be hitting up the middle way more than last season.  Hard hit rate is up.  Glove has been absolutely necessary at 1B.  I’m probably wrong on this, but my completely unqualified eye says he leads the league in DRS on throws to 1B that are scooped.

I’m surprised to see how much Greene has been pulling the ball.  It seems like he’s gone to LF quite often this season.  I’m probably just more sensitive to picking up on LHHs going to LF now with the shift rules that are in place.  Trying to decipher whether they’d have been hits last season maybe?  I don’t know.

Maybe I am pessimistic, but I really don't see Torkelson ever being anything more than a bad version of the San Diego era Eric Hosmer.

I know they are still kids, but lots of guys that never found success in the majors were kids once too.

It sucks too, because if these guys are busts, the Tigers will have to basically start from scratch again in a few years.

Edited by tiger2022

36 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Maybe I am pessimistic, but I really don't see Torkelson ever being anything more than a bad version of the San Diego era Eric Hosmer.

I know they are still kids, but lots of guys that never found success in the majors were kids once too.

It sucks too, because if these guys are busts, the Tigers will have to basically start from scratch again in a few years.

I think his career will fall somewhere between Darko and Joey Harrington in Detroit sports history.  

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think his career will fall somewhere between Darko and Joey Harrington in Detroit sports history.  

I think he'd have a much better fate on a decent team, but then again, being the #1 pick kind of hurts the chances of being on a decent team.     There is improvement there.     I think Riley Greene is going to compare to Austin Jackson.  I think Tork might compare to Champ Summers, but if it clicks (and I think it still could) Jason Thompson.    Other guys have to step up.  if embarrassed Javy keeps showing what he has the last two days, it's probably going to make a lot of players better.  

15 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I'm thinking they will be bad, but very interesting in terms of preparing for the future.  

I guess I’m a little more optimistic. Of the first few series of season the only one I thought they were overmatched was the Tampa series. Last year they just seemed be out of every game after they got behind, but this season they seem to always be battling. I guess we’ll see what happens when injuries  come up.

49 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I guess I’m a little more optimistic. Of the first few series of season the only one I thought they were overmatched was the Tampa series. Last year they just seemed be out of every game after they got behind, but this season they seem to always be battling. I guess we’ll see what happens when injuries  come up.

I am optimistic.  They will win 72 games and have more clarity on their future by the end of the season.