MAP PR0N!

chasfh

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I have never heard of New Hampshire being expensive.  Just the opposite from my perspective living in Massachusetts.   

I think this Google poll was not necessarily taken by people from the area, but around the country and it’s the way they completed the sentence. They viewed New Hampshire as being expensive, ….and they view New Jersey is being BAD.  🤪

I've probably said this before but I saw Richard Jenne doing standup, pretending to announce the names of delegates to a political convention, with their state mottos, and he said "From New Jersey, the 'what the f*** are you lookin at' State,..."

Edited by Jim Cowan
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I think this Google poll was not necessarily taken by people from the area, but around the country and it’s the way they completed the sentence. They viewed New Hampshire as being expensive, ….and they view New Jersey is being BAD.  🤪

I guess if a tourist came to NH to visit ski areas, they might think it's expensive.  The cost of living in NH is not high though.   

I had read that the English use of the non-rhotic "r" (i.e., dropping the r sound in words) started in the 18th Century as an affectation among the upper classes around London and spread throughout the country from there, but I had no idea that the rhotic r was still in wide use in England through the middle of the 20th century.

i5rzymq8i0y01.jpg

Apparently, the standardization of pronunciation to embrace the non-rhotic r was related to the wide spreading of BBC broadcasts.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Pretty cool. Here's a 1934 map of Detroit from that website.

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons/overlay/MI/MI_Detroit_278079_1934_62500_geo.jpg

Note the trolley system! But what it shows is bit older than '34. In '34 my mother lived in a house on the near west side that doesn't show the streets as platted yet on this map.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

it's a bit older than that. In '34 my mother lived in a house on the near west side that doesn't show the streets as platted yet on this map.

I was just going off what the website cited it as. It's possible the map was published in 1934 without being updated from an earlier published version.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was just going off what the website cited it as. It's possible the map was published in 1934 without being updated from an earlier published version.

It's looks like the focus was the trolley system. Love that the one out Grand River is called 'Orchard Lake" - classic human stupidity that it's all gone. One of my early memories was that the tracks were still in the road on Grand River at Oakman when I was young and we went to the Sears there. I suppose they are probably still there, just paved over a few times now.

Edited by gehringer_2

I looked at those maps of my neighborhood from the 1940's and it confirms something.  Across the street from me they have really deep backyards.  When my neighbor was installing a fence they found cement slabs for an old sidewalk.  The fence installer said the old drawings show that there was the intent to have another street there but they abandoned that idea, instead putting up a cul-de-sac in another portion.    The old map confirms the street being called out at least.  Later maps show it correct.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Note the trolley system! But what it shows is bit older than '34. In '34 my mother lived in a house on the near west side that doesn't show the streets as platted yet on this map.

Yes, some of the noted items are interesting.  Schools, abandoned canal, insane asylum, oils wells, airway beacons, ditches, etc.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I love maps

I find it completely maddening when American adults can't point out more than 2 or 3 states. 

Seriously, I went on Sporcle a couple months ago and did the state capitol test.   I haven't done the state capitols since junior high school.   I got 48 out of 50.   I missed on Trenton, New Jersey and Montgomery, Alabama.   That shocked me.  

This is kind of interesting—press freedoms for basically all the countries of Europe, compared to that of the United States and Russia.

https://i.redd.it/eztyyd0y2txa1.png

"But wait", some might be asking themselves. "The United States is #1 in all freedoms! How can they be ranked #45 here, behind just about every country in Europe, including ex-Warsaw Pact nations? What kind of garbage criteria are these people using?"

Two things:

1. lol
  2. A good explanation of this lives here, but basically, it has to do with concentration of media in just a few hands, decline in local news, the rise of ultra-partisan media, and the constant denigration of the media by the fascist right wing that has eroded confidence in the objectivity of mass media.

image.thumb.png.fba23673ca6d95d0baf3a007d87987d4.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

IMG_3048.jpeg

Looking good Ann Arbor and really looking good Traverse City.  Probably has something to do with the quality of medical care in A2 and the degree to which Traverse City is one of those destination retirement areas for people with a little bit of cash and some sense.  Meanwhile Wisconsin and Minnesota look really good in comparison. 

Edited by romad1
  • Like 1