05/07/2023 2:15pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs St. Louis Cardinals

casimir

5937291998.gif  7248272020.gif

Detroit Tigers vs St. Louis Cardinals

Watch:  Cardinals - Bally Sports Midwest, Tigers - Bally Sports Detroit
Listen:  Cardinals - KMOX 1120 AM/98.7 FM, Cardinals Radio Network, WIJR AM 880 (En Espanol), Tigers - 97.1 The Ticket

34f90479e62ef422e44efb9a94f8ab6f--mlb-de

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

It's the right move but hopefully he can get some of his touch back in Toledo 

Yeah.  Maybe the move isn't made if they didn't have rotation/timing issues.  And it isn't surprising to see some inconsistency in Turnbull's early return.  Hopefully he takes it in stride, works on what he needs to, and he is a viable piece of the rotation before too long.

• Like 1

It'd be nice to sweep.  But this series is in hand.  A 6th/7th/8th type SP is on the mound.  Its a getaway game.  The next series is in the Tigers' personal house of horrors in Cleveland.  Hopefully today is competitive to keep that feeling going, Faedo can get into or through the 6th and the bullpen doesn't get too taxed.  Don't look now, but the lineup has been picking up its end of the bargain to go along with the bullpen.  Keep that going into Cleveland.  Keep winning series.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Wow.  Is this just 40 man shenanigans or do they really think he needs to work on something?

If Turnbull stays in minors for about 2 months, he would no longer be a free agent heading into 2025; instead Tigers would control him for a 4th arbitration year. Not saying Harris is manipulating service time, but it could break that way.

edit: old news

Edited by RatkoVarda

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think it's being done to manipulate service time.  He has pitched poorly this year and it should be mutually beneficial for him to work things out in the minors.  

Yup.  I think the service time here is a coincidence rather than a driver.

Another season of control might be a benefit.  Looking out that far at the potential salary liabilities, if the timing of Turnbull’s last season is enough of a concern to stop the service clock, then this team has a bigger problem to deal with.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

It'd be nice to sweep.  But this series is in hand.  A 6th/7th/8th type SP is on the mound.  Its a getaway game.  The next series is in the Tigers' personal house of horrors in Cleveland.  Hopefully today is competitive to keep that feeling going, Faedo can get into or through the 6th and the bullpen doesn't get too taxed.  Don't look now, but the lineup has been picking up its end of the bargain to go along with the bullpen.  Keep that going into Cleveland.  Keep winning series.

To be fair, St Louis is rolling out a 6th/7th/8th type in Steven Matz today... or at least he's pitched that way so far lol

Guys coming back from TJ always seem to have control issues.  Their arm is different and all the spring training and mock games can't replicate a real game.   Let him work it out and get a feel.  I am guessing it's going to take at least 3 or 4 starts.   Very similar to Fulmer, and it took him a whole season to work it out but he was pretty solid after that.  I am thinking the Tigers kind of knew this coming into the season but hoped that by giving him more rest last year that he'd be ready.   

Turnbull is 30 years old. If he is around after 2024 it’s probably a positive outcome. I’m taking more of a micro approach. The tigers rotation will offer plenty of chances for redemption in the next few months.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think it's being done to manipulate service time.  He has pitched poorly this year and it should be mutually beneficial for him to work things out in the minors.  

I think there is some aspect that plays into this from the other side - Faedo is pretty much completely rehabbed at this point. Giving Turnbull some additional 'rehab' time in Toledo dovetails with a chance to give Faedo what is probably close to a make or break MLB audition for him. The decision is probably 80% about Turnbull but when you can make a move that serves multiple objectives it all adds to the mix.