06/25/2023 12:10 pm EDT Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Bally reporters putting Hinch on the hotseat by asking the tough questions like "what flavor pumpkin seeds do you like best?"

That's kind of what I figured. Nobody has the balls to put them on the hot seat.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Castro now has 14 SBs in 185 PAs this year, he only had 18 in over a 1000 for us. 

I thought keeping Willi would have been a defensible decision, too, but as with Jeimer, when the mob is pounding down the door with their pitchforks, you tend to cave to them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If Nevin hit .200 he'd be leaps and bounds better than Maton.  

Maton's WAR is so bad, that he's not only the worst player in bigs, but he'd also be one the worst in AAA

Edited by Dtrain72

2 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Yes, they were asked last week when he was also playing like ass...both Hinch and Harris said that they "like the way he was progessing" and that "there's no consideration of sending him down"...I sit here and laugh in Al Avila voice.

I must have missed that. I bet Hinch got his dander up...:how dare you question me, I won a world series 20 years ago...."

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Fun fact time:

As of this morning, Nick Maton is 22nd among 22 qualified third baseman in offensive runs and 21st in defensive runs, and 22nd in WAR by a country mile.

Jeimer Candelario is 7th in offense, 2nd in defense, 3rd in WAR.

And the icing on the cake: Isaac Paredes is 1st in offense,19th in defense, 4th in WAR.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=22,d

At Torkelson's age I can accept talk about a player haveing a good process that you believe is going to produce results. Nick Maton had nearly 1700 PA in the minors and never generated much of anything. Assuming a normal drop in OPS  facing major league pitching, the odds of him turning into a valuable MLB regular were never much to begin with.

2 minutes ago, BBFCFM said:

That's kind of what I figured. Nobody has the balls to put them on the hot seat.

Partly because teams wield their power by withholding access to punish beat people who turn out to be apostates. See Fenech, Anthony.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

I must have missed that. I bet Hinch got his dander up...:how dare you question me, I won a world series 20 years ago...."

Harris was actually more smug than AJ was...Hinch just seemed to kind of give the p.c., cover his own ass, answers about Maton...I really get the impession Maton still being here is 100% on Harris at this point.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I thought keeping Willi would have been a defensible decision, too, but as with Jeimer, when the mob is pounding down the door with their pitchforks, you tend to cave to them.

I didn't want Castro back, but I did want Candelario.  I was also OK with Maton as a role player with a chance to do more.  McKinstry and Vierling have worked out so far, but not Maton.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They showed a close up of Maton earlier in the game and he looked liked my dog when I leave for work in the morning.  Maybe Toledo would be better for his head, as much as his ability.   Not giving up, but the guy's in a hole and he can't get out of it.  

And that alone was a good reason that Hinch should have taken him out of the game at the end of the inning. It's bad enough to screw up, if you are wallowing in it on the field, you are just setting yourself up to do it again, and sure enough....

Just now, Tiger337 said:

I didn't want Castro back, but I did want Candelario.  I was also OK with Maton as a role player with a chance to do more.  McKinstry and Vierling have worked out so far, but not Maton.   

Maton was a fringe player in the NL. He doesn't belong on a ML roster. mic drop

I'm 53 years old, life long diehard, Detroit sports fan...and I swear to the sports gods that after alllll these decades, myself and many fellow diehard fans, have seen when players, on all our teams, obviously dont have "it" and need to be shot out of a cannon, welllll before the ppl running the teams see it or even acknowledge it (looking at you Millen, Avila, the list gors on and on...),  I truly beleive fans around here are right more often than not when a player is clearly ass, as opposed to the stubborn dip****tery of our sports team higher ups.  

Edited by Dtrain72

18 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Seriously, has anyone ever asked Hinch why Maton never had to earn a spot on the team? 3rd base was just handed to him and forgotten about.

A couple weeks ago Jeff Reger asked AJ about Maton and other issues with thr bad offense, and AJ sumgly said he'd put a "suggestion box in the back if anybody has the answers", well that box was stuff full of "send Maton down" suggestions within minutes...looks like AJ didnt really want that box...