06/25/2023 12:10 pm EDT Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 minute ago, Dave Christian said:

They're going to be send a scarecrow wearing his jersey to bat in the five spot.

I'm sure there's a scarecrow in Toledo we can scare up to play third for us. Johan Camargo qualifies as just such a scarecrow. And once that happens, we can rake A.J. when Camargo repeatedly trips over his own ****. Looking forward to that.

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

Tork getting some cover for going 0-5...I don't have much to add to the discourse on him. He'll get another full season but even the best case scenario is a league average hitter with no defensive value.

I don't agree. Tork has saved several errors with his excellent scoops of bad throws.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Or, alternatively, you throw the best guys out there you have available to you while you work behind the scenes to get better players on board, which, sad to say, isn't going to happen today, or tomorrow, or even Tuesday. How great would it be great if above-average major leaguers were available on the scrap heap.

How about above replacement level?  

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't agree. Tork has saved several errors with his excellent scoops of bad throws.

Good at scooping...bad at everything else. And it's first base. You have to hit to justify your spot.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I know he's not doing much with the bat right now anyway, but has the idea of Malloy as the 3b of the future already foundered on the inadequacy of  his glove? Does this team have anyone anywhere in the organization that knows how to scout the glove of a 3B candidate?

This would have been the ideal time to promote him if his bat had held up a bit better.

47 minutes ago, kdog said:

Good at scooping...bad at everything else. And it's first base. You have to hit to justify your spot.

True. But it's really hard to give up on a 23 year old. Patience....it's not like he's blocking anyone. Unless they give Maton a 1st baseman glove....lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

At least with Raburn you could see the flashes of high level play - there was a tease that if he just tamed the inconsistency (yeah you can call them brain freezes) with both the bat and the glove, there might have been a player in there. Maton may still some unexplored upside to his bat, but he hasn't given us a shred of evidence whatever he can be a competent 3B.

First half Raburn was one of the worst ever

Second half Raburn (when the team was too far gone to contend) was a good player.  

Nick is WORSE than first half Raburn. 

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

First half Raburn was one of the worst ever

Second half Raburn (when the team was too far gone to contend) was a good player.  

Nick is WORSE than first half Raburn. 

Raburn OPSs last two months of two seasons Tigers were in pennant races: 

2009: August OPS 957

September: 1108

2011: August 844

September: 1155

18 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

True. But it's really hard to give up on a 23 year old. Patience....it's not like he's blocking anyone. Unless they give Maton a 1st baseman glove....lol

2020 hurt him...he was probably rushed. But a college hitter taken 1-1 should farther along than this. He might turn it around. The inability to stack even 2-3 weeks of quality hitting is bad. It's a good 5 games and then two weeks of nothing.

15 minutes ago, kdog said:

2020 hurt him...he was probably rushed. But a college hitter taken 1-1 should farther along than this. He might turn it around. The inability to stack even 2-3 weeks of quality hitting is bad. It's a good 5 games and then two weeks of nothing.

Oh, I agree. He's very inconsistent. We'll know what we have by the end of next season. I'm just not sure it's time to run him out of town yet.