06/25/2023 12:10 pm EDT Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Nick Maton is worse than first half Ryan Raburn.     He might be the worst regular lineup guy I've ever seen.  At least in the last 20 years.  

At least with Raburn you could see the flashes of high level play - there was a tease that if he just tamed the inconsistency (yeah you can call them brain freezes) with both the bat and the glove, there might have been a player in there. Maton may still some unexplored upside to his bat, but he hasn't given us a shred of evidence whatever he can be a competent 3B.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

At least with Raburn you could see the flashes of high level play - there was a tease that if he just tame the inconsistency (well OK - brain freezes to be honest) with both the bat and the glove, there might have been a player in there. Maton may still some unexplored upside to his bat, but he hasn't given us a shred of evidence whatever he can be a competent 3B.

No, when Raburn was here, the rest of the team was there to pick him up. We were really good in those years. Heck, we won with a statue at SS....Peralta.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

No, when Raburn was here, the rest of the team was there to pick him up. We were really good in those years. Heck, we won with a statue at SS....Peralta.

I'd give my left nut for Candellario over Maton at this point...and I lusted for Candy to be jetisoned from this team last season.

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maton was a fringe player in the NL. He doesn't belong on a ML roster. mic drop

It looked like he belonged as a role player at the time they acquired him.  He's been terrible this year, but I couldn't fault the acquistion at the time.  

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It looked like he belonged as a role player at the time they acquired him.  He's been terrible this year, but I couldn't fault the acquistion at the time.  

I was happy about the possibilities for Maton and Vierling compared to Harold and Willi.  Maton isn't working out, obviously.

Just now, Tigermojo said:

All I want to hear out of Hinch's mouth is Nick Maton has been optioned to AAA Toledo.

I get/understand Harris not having a premium on this season, and wanting to assess what they've got...but trotting out the literal worst player in baseball as an everyday starter, and in the 5 hole, is an insult at this point.  And now I'm really questioning Harris's judgement, when I was 100% thrilled he was brought in and was willing to give him time fix Avila's ass mess.  But this Maton thing, along with Harris's comments last week, kinda got me shook.

By keeping Schoop and Maton on the roster, you are signalling that winning games isn't important. Harris said it himself. But you aren't holding anyone accountable for lack of production. You just throw the same guys out there expecting different results.

1 minute ago, kdog said:

By keeping Schoop and Maton on the roster, you are signalling that winning games isn't important. Harris said it himself. But you aren't holding anyone accountable for lack of production. You just throw the same guys out there expecting different results.

Or, alternatively, you throw the best guys out there you have available to you while you work behind the scenes to get better players on board, which, sad to say, isn't going to happen today, or tomorrow, or even Tuesday. How great would it be great if above-average major leaguers were available on the scrap heap.