07/09/2023 1:40 pm EDT Toronto Blue Jays vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

34 minutes ago, Dave Christian said:

WHAT!

No Rogers behind the plate?

Can't deny Hasse has been the better receiver handling pitchers. Rodgers isn't bad but Hitch want's Hasse out there more.

Edited by Klondike

32 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I remember that Lange's numbers last year with Hasse behind the plate were significantly worse;

I'd want Rogers back there when possible if the starter is likely to put a lot of his breaking balls in the dirt because Jake blocks pitches in the dirt better.  Lange also fits that description.

Story in today’s Washington Post on weather analytics for baseball. 

https://wapo.st/3D47OJZ

For every 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degree Fahrenheit) increase in temperature, the number of home runs in a game increases by 1.96 percent, according to a study published in April that analyzed home run and weather data from more than 100,000 MLB games between 1962 and 2019. The study found that more than 500 home runs since 2010 can be linked to climate warming, and that the phenomenon could account for an additional 130 to 467 home runs per year by the end of the century, depending on how much the planet warms.

A Washington Post analysis of MLB data supports the notion that balls fly farther in the summer months. Since 2006, the average number of home runs per game climbed from 2.10 in April and May to 2.20 in June, July and August. The average distance of “barreled” flyballs showed a similar trend, increasing from 387 feet in April and May to 390.6 feet in June, July and August. “Barreled” balls — well-struck balls that meet certain exit velocity and launch-angle criteria — were chosen because they are all hit similarly, helping to isolate the effects of external factors such as temperature. So far in 2023, the average distance of barreled flyballs increased from 385.5 feet in April and May to 387.3 feet in June and early July, while the average home runs per game climbed from 2.30 in April and May to 2.34 in June and early July.

Edited by lordstanley

2 hours ago, Dave Christian said:

WHAT!

No Rogers behind the plate?

That is kind of odd.  Rogers should be the primary receiver and it’s day game after day game.

On the other hand, Haase has two no hitters under his watch, so there is that bullet point.

2 hours ago, BBFCFM said:

What concerns me about this is I've seen this being said on other players and then two months later, surgery ended up being required. Wasted months....and then it takes longer for them to get back. Not needing surgery is much better but get a couple opinions on this to make sure there's agreement.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

This is also his 1st year back from TJ...

Giving Rogers Saturday and Sunday off right before the AS break gives him a nice long breather. Before finishing out the season after the break...

My guess is that's the thinking.

Hinch has all the stats so it could be the splits on the opposing SP? Maybe Haase has a good history against him?

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

That is kind of odd.  Rogers should be the primary receiver and it’s day game after day game.

On the other hand, Haase has two no hitters under his watch, so there is that bullet point.

looking at the matchups, Jake has 5 AB against Bassitt, 1H 3K. Didn't fine Haase vs Bassitt in the free BR database. Either they haven't faced each other or they have so much that it's in the blocked part of the chart!

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Skubal's 2023 WHIP is.....0.00. Sometimes I love small sample sizes. No where to go but up, Scooby. 😆😆

Skub looks like he enjoyed a lot of pasta during his time away.  He’s noticeably heavier—he’s an expectant father, so might be sympathy weight.  I’m still trying to shake mine—my “baby” is 18 years old 

32 minutes ago, casimir said:

agreed

8 minutes ago, BBFCFM said:

Tried listening to Greg and Jim - couldn't do it. Awful. Think somebody told Jim he needs to talk more and they are stepping all over each other. Won't listen to C Mo. 

So, watching the Jays broadcast. 

Is it too much to get a real broadcaster to fill in on Ballys?