2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

11 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It's his third string QB, so probably.... but it won't be a fun offseason, especially if he stands pat at QB.

False.  It’s his 2nd string QB for a month that was obviously not prepared at all to take any snaps.  And the offensive line didn’t do anyone any favors, either.  Bad combination, no excuse for any of it.

12 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Texas might rout UW. Looking at the four teams, UW is the odd duck to some extent. The other three have athletes around the field and dominate the line of scrimmage, while Washington has an NFL QB and some good WRs. They’re just built different than the other three, I think all their close games speak to that, and I don’t think it will be advantageous in the semis. They’re the only team of the four who would surprise me to win the National Championship.

UW may get blown out, who knows anything in this crazy game especially this season.  

I completely disagree they lack the athletes.    Just the opposite really as they probably have the best set of skill players on offense of any of the 3 teams.

Penix is elite at this level.  They have the best group of WR in the country when healthy (that’s been an issue).  Odunze is a top 10 pick, Polk is probably round 2 or 3, McMillan may be the most talented of all but has been injured.  Dillion Johnson at RB is an absolute stud despite hardly getting touches.  

The defense is obviously the issue but again they play in a conference loaded with QB’s and skill players so it’s hard to just compare numbers between them and a Michigan or Texas that play in a conference that is sorely lacking quality playmakers.  

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's one thing to lose, but 3 pts? Even with the 3rd string QB that won't go over well in Columbus.

But Day has the #1 ranked class in the conference coming in - he'll probably manage.

I don’t know.  This game was an absolute embarrassment.  This is a coach that preached toughness after the Notre Dame game, but cowered last night because they had a backup quarterback in the game.  He really thought they could ride Henderson’s legs to victory for over a half of football?  Meanwhile, Henderson’s two backups are sitting off on the sideline injured and in the transfer portal.  Oh, and Henderson has shown a proclivity to get dinged up in the past.

Speaking of transfer portal, Day has no plans to go get a QB.  He wants to have competition this spring.  Hey, that’s great.  One of the QBs was injured last night, and the other, well, I guess they didn’t trust him to throw a football until Mizzou had 15 in the box to stop Henderson.  Or, in other words, Kienholz, who had gotten a few game reps earlier this season, hadn’t been coached for this game.  But why not?  Why not start the competition in the practices leading up to this game?  Sure didn’t look like the coaching staff was ready to do anything with him.  Simply terrible and inexcusable.

Heck, they had Brown out there on one leg for a few plays as a decoy at the numbers while they tried wildcat?  What in the flippity flip was that?  Were they getting Kienholz out of the stands and dressed for the game?

And that log goes onto the fire of the 3 game losing streak.

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

False.  It’s his 2nd string QB for a month that was obviously not prepared at all to take any snaps.  And the offensive line didn’t do anyone any favors, either.  Bad combination, no excuse for any of it.

I only saw the 4th - Kienholz made a couple of nice throws but he was running for his life and the OSU D pretty much collapsed on the last two Mizzou drives. I don't even think the late hit foul made much difference - it was on 1st down and Mizzou wasn't having much trouble making 1sts. 

Still am waiting for the story on McCord going to Syracuse. Was it about OSU/Day or Did Fran Brown just bring a big pot of NIL money to Syracuse?

Just now, buddha said:

hope not.

That's where i'm at.  We can't control these young men or the refs. We know we were better than the #2 team in the B1G which got smothered by the #3 team in the SEC but probably would have destroyed that team with its regular QB and best receivers (note multiple transfers and sit-outs).

Interested to see how Penn State fares against Ole Miss today.  Hopefully not another humiliating performance by a B1G team against an SEC opponent.  That would concern me if I was a B1G fan.  

Oh ****, I forgot. I am a B1G fan now.   We got to step our game up as a conference and rally around the big game legend James Franklin and that Allar kid.   

Edited by Hongbit

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

i wish nothing but pain and humiliation for ohio state.  gone are the days of mutual respect and rooting for the big ten out of conference.  they can all lose forever for all i care.

Agree.  F all of you.  Especially the Ducks.   You guys will learn to really hate  them.  

• Sad 1

The rumor is former OSU staffers now working at Catapult illegally shared opposing practice data including play calls and signals with their former employer.  

If this is true they are ****ed. 

It could also create an opportunity if they did the exact opposite of Michigan and immediately admit guilt.  They cheated and got caught so find a way to limit damage and live to cheat again.  That’s how it works in the SEC. 

Fire Day right away.   Get out without having to pay a severance much like MSU and Mel.   Self impose minor punishments for the team that don’t have any impact.  Limit a recruiting weekend or keep the coaches from traveling for a few weeks.   Forfeit all wins from the past season.  It means nothing in the grand scheme for a season when they won no trophies but the NCAA will see that as action.    All this is window dressing but it’s enough to appease the NCAA and move on without any damage.    

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I only saw the 4th - Kienholz made a couple of nice throws but he was running for his life and the OSU D pretty much collapsed on the last two Mizzou drives. I don't even think the late hit foul made much difference - it was on 1st down and Mizzou wasn't having much trouble making 1sts. 

Still am waiting for the story on McCord going to Syracuse. Was it about OSU/Day or Did Fran Brown just bring a big pot of NIL money to Syracuse?

The OSU defense did well until the 2 TD drives.  Can’t complain about them.

OSU literally had Brown out there limping as a WR while they wildcatted.  The kid needed his ankle looked at, and they kept him in the game.  Now, if he wanted in the game, that’s one thing.  But he’s pretty much on one leg, Mizzou knows who is going to get the ball in those circumstances.  What’s the point of having Brown out there?  That’s not the toughness that Day ranted about.  That’s malfeasance as a football coach.

9 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Florida St sure showing 'em, eh.

👻Ghost bowls.  These games mean so close to nothing with all the guys sitting out. They put up a graphic of the FSU defensive players sitting out and it was 6 or 7 starters. Not sure why FSU bothered to show up at all (well, yes I am: $$$) Add those guys to Travis and you've got maybe a MAC team?

Edited by gehringer_2