2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

👻Ghost bowls.  These games mean so close to nothing with all the guys sitting out. They put up a graphic of the FSU defensive players sitting out and it was 6 or 7 starters. Not sure why FSU bothered to show up at all (well, yes I am: $$$) Add those guys to Travis and you've got maybe a MAC team?

FSU had over 20 guys opting not to play today because of the draft and portal entries. Two guys were out due to existing injuries.
There is no way I could get excited about college football the way it has disintegrated the last couple of years. At best, it’s a cluster****! 

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

👻Ghost bowls.  These games mean so close to nothing with all the guys sitting out. They put up a graphic of the FSU defensive players sitting out and it was 6 or 7 starters. Not sure why FSU bothered to show up at all (well, yes I am: $$$) Add those guys to Travis and you've got maybe a MAC team?

One easy fix is changing the transfer portal window until after the bowls/playoffs.  But I think that should also apply to coaches.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

do you think that would make much difference? If a kid intends to leave, he still won't want to play.

I doubt there’s one magic solution.  But, I think changing the window along with the playoffs will help keep players on the field.

Have we seen a healthy junior that’s draft ready sit out a conference championship yet?  I can’t think of who, but perhaps it’s happened.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:36 PM, lordstanley said:

Florida St sure showing 'em, eh.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:45 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Listening to all the Georgia smack over the past few days has been nauseating. 

Among all of these massive changes to the core of college football, one has to wonder if it isn’t time for another challenge to the draft eligibility rules.  

Will Johnson is a top 5 pick in this draft but isn’t eligible.   I think if he can handle Odunze in a similar way that he did Harrison there will start to be more talk about him and the draft rules.    

If we are moving towards a free agent model, it only makes sense to loosen the current 3 years out of high school rule and give that option to unique players that are ready.