2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It needs to be, Baton Rouge isn't much of a where,  even if it's not too far from NOLA.

as opposed to ann arbor?  lol.  if "where" were a major concern NYU and northwestern would be recruiting hot beds.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

as opposed to ann arbor?  lol.  if "where" were a major concern NYU and northwestern would be recruiting hot beds.

LOL - have you spent any time there? TBF - I was marooned on the industrial end of town on a project, but definitely reminded me of the John Denver tune about spending a week in Toledo one day. But also to TBF, you are selling your own area short - Northwestern may not be a great FB power - but all things considered they occasionally manage to punch well above their weight football wise. 

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - have you spent any time there? TBF - I was marooned on the industrial end of town on a project, but definitely reminded me of the John Denver tune about spending a week in Toledo one day. But also to TBF, you are selling your own area short - Northwestern may not be a great FB power - but all things considered they occasionally manage to punch well above their weight football wise. 

northwestern does not recruit above their weight.  meanwhile, tuscaloosa alabama does pretty well.  and i wouldnt call that paris on the chatahoochie.

i have been to baton rouge and its....fine.  depending on which side of town youre on.  i wouldnt want to live there, for sure 

that said, ann arbor is a nice town.  a "happening" place it is not.  

the point being that what attract$ recruit$ i$ not the number of intere$ting thing$ middle aged adult$ like us like to do in the location at i$$ue, but rather the $tate of fhe football program and certain other "amenitie$$$$$".  

otherwise northwestern, san diego state, cal berkley, NYU, Tufts, and boston college would be prime recruiting hotbeds.  yet they are not.

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

northwestern does not recruit above their weight.  meanwhile, tuscaloosa alabama does pretty well.  and i wouldnt call that paris on the chatahoochie.

i have been to baton rouge and its....fine.  depending on which side of town youre on.  i wouldnt want to live there, for sure 

the point being that what attract$ recruit$ i$ not the number of intere$ting thing$ middle aged adult$ like us like to do in the location at i$$ue, but rather the $tate of fhe football program and certain other "amenitie$$$$$".  

otherwise northwestern, san diego state, cal berkley, NYU, Tufts, and boston college would be prime recruiting hotbeds.  yet they are not.

Smart kids who go to college will be interested in the many libraries and museums of a given city.   Its hard to study with so many strippers and all that cocaine being constantly thrust in your face by the SEC schools. 

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

Money certainly drives a lot of recruits and right now its a fast moving target. Along that line my guess would have to be that as the money moves from under the table to above, those places like Chicago and Silicon Valley, that have more powerful economic and marketing bases to draw from, will begin to eclipse exactly those places like Alabama and LSU that have depended on relatively finite booster resources. (NYC is a weird outlier with no NCAA FB tradition) One could argue you already see some degradation in the Alabama program in comparison to the one in the more economically vibrant state of Georgia that sits nearly as close the big Atlanta market as Ann Arbor is to Detroit. Is that why, or is it just Nick getting old and slowing down?? 

I think a lot depends long term on what model the TV money, which ultimately has to be become the source of player funding, ends up distributed by. If it's like a baseball model where school revenue it tied initially to their current market power, the rich can remain rich or get richer, so traditional powers will be able to play on that. The future would likely be different than if it ends up like the NFL, where all the schools in the top tier get equal dollars. I think the Alabama types could suffer under the latter system compared to the former exactly because non-$$$ factors could then swing player decisions.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Money certainly drives a lot of recruits and right now its a fast moving target. Along that line my guess would have to be that as the money moves from under the table to above, those places like Chicago and Silicon Valley, that have more powerful economic and marketing bases to draw from, will begin to eclipse exactly those places like Alabama and LSU that have depended on relatively finite booster resources. (NYC is a weird outlier with no NCAA FB tradition) One could argue you already see some degradation in the Alabama program in comparison to the one in the more economically vibrant state of Georgia that sits nearly as close the big Atlanta market as Ann Arbor is to Detroit. Is that why, or is it just Nick getting old and slowing down?? 

I think a lot depends long term on what model the TV money, which ultimately has to be become the source of player funding, ends up distributed by. If it's like a baseball model where school revenue it tied initially to their current market power, the rich can remain rich or get richer, so traditional powers will be able to play on that. The future would likely be different than if it ends up like the NFL, where all the schools in the top tier get equal dollars. I think the Alabama types could suffer under the latter system compared to the former exactly because non-$$$ factors could then swing player decisions.

you make so many assumptions in that paragraph to support your original strained premise that its hard to keep up.  lol.

college football is as dependent in the head coach as it is the boosters.  ol miss is having a pretty good run at recruiting.  is it because its somehow close to a major market?  texas a & m has been #1 in recruiting for multiple seasons, is it because recruits finally realized rhe benefits of nightlife in college station?  georgia's rise on the field - its been very good at recruiting for a very long time - has more to do with kirby smart than the drive down 75 to atlanta.

come on, g2.  

as for your premise about the death of alabama football, i give you this:

Screenshot_20240104_115033_Chrome.jpg

9 hours ago, buddha said:

as for your premise about the death of alabama football, i give you this:

I didn't say dead - I said probably had fallen behind Georgia and losing to a B10 ten team isn't an everyday occurrence for Saban either. Is M better, is Alabama worse? Take your pick. Sure all those things you mention matter, but doesn't money also drive them all? That was your premise wasn't it? Won't most of the best coaches and the best athletes end up at the best resourced schools? Don't they now? All I was saying is that resourcing is likely going to go through big shifts if television rights money starts flowing to athletes (which is pretty much Harbaugh's prescription isn't it?) because television $$ dwarf the sources the athletes used to have direct access to, and how that shakes out is going to matter to winners and losers. That's hardly a stretch to speculate on.

I don't see as cast in stone that the schools at the top of food chain now stay there if/as the funding models change - sure they will try like hell to keep things as they are. The people that have the $$ ultimately ultimately control the outcome, and for now that's the broadcasters. I suppose to insure they get what they want the future super conferences can move (or threaten to move) all their rights into their own in-house networks then they maintain control everything.  

Edited by gehringer_2

The new rules also mean that all Alabama players will have a 30 day transfer window even though the portal Is closed until May.  All Bama recruits that haven’t started school can be released from their letter of intent as well.  The same rules will apply to players at the school the next coach leaves to take the job.  

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

whoa.  harbaugh beat him so bad he quit.

He was sickened by how cheaters prospered this year and won the national championship out from under him, and decided he doesn't have the stomach to compete in such a dirty environment.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, buddha said:

finebaum going on the show and repeatedly saying michigan beat alabama's ass was the last straw.

Finebaum is such a Michigan honk. lol 

There were rumors before the game that his daughter was telling people this was his last season.   

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The new rules also mean that all Alabama players will have a 30 day transfer window even though the portal Is closed until May.  All Bama recruits that haven’t started school can be released from their letter of intent as well.  The same rules will apply to players at the school the next coach leaves to take the job.  

Sweet, I was having transfer portal withdrawals.