2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

Today is the last day for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft.

Caleb Williams representatives have been in discussions with both Apple and the US Government to use the national emergency warning system to let everyone in the country know the moment that Caleb declares.    They are just working out his fee for allowing the system to be used by him.   

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The interesting part is that Kelly would rather get out from under the heat by stepping to a lower role at an even higher pressure program, than just move to another HC gig at lower level conference. I'd have thought the later would be more rewarding for someone that has already run a program but just wants out of the more toxic environment.

I'm really not sure why the Big Ten was so hot to welcome UCLA when their insolvency has been an on-going issue for a number of years. There is this idea that all you have to do is plant a flag in the SoCal market and the $ will just flow. But is takes more than just that.         

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The interesting part is that Kelly would rather get out from under the heat by stepping to a lower role at an even higher pressure program, than just move to another HC gig at lower level conference. I'd have thought the later would be more rewarding for someone that has already run a program but just wants out of the more toxic environment.

I'm really not sure why the Big Ten was so hot to welcome UCLA when their insolvency has been an on-going issue for a number of years. There is this idea that all you have to do is plant a flag in the SoCal market and the $ will just flow. But is takes more than just that.         

usc is the prize.  they dont come without ucla.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, buddha said:

wow.  if michigan beats ohio state four years in a row will they go out and hire bill belichick?  spend $20 million on players?  both?

jim harbaugh broke ohio state's budget.

Well, they’ve got a new AD, so any ties that bound before aren’t necessarily there.  In other words, Day better beat Michigan next season, Chris Holtman better start winning some basketball games this season.

Taking a broader view of college football, the head coach role seems to be morphing more into a GM type role.  I wonder if we’ll see a split of duties soon with a position added to teams’ staffs.  One person will be on charge of roster accumulation/retention and the other will be the more traditional game play stuff.

10 hours ago, buddha said:

usc is the prize.  they dont come without ucla.

I’m not sure USC wouldn’t have come without fUCLA (you guys need to learn this now since they are in conference) but the logistics of playing any sport other than football probably wouldn’t work out.    

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I wonder if we’ll see a split of duties soon with a position added to teams’ staffs.  One person will be on charge of roster accumulation/retention and the other will be the more traditional game play stuff.

This make organizational sense - the question is does it work for recruiting where the one one one between player/coach and/or player position coach is a big part of closing the deal. Then again, if and as the sport becomes more professionalized, that part of it may well fade in significance.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:17 AM, gehringer_2 said:

This make organizational sense - the question is does it work for recruiting where the one one one between player/coach and/or player position coach is a big part of closing the deal. Then again, if and as the sport becomes more professionalized, that part of it may well fade in significance.

Well, since you bring up the position coaches and one on one relationships with the athletes, how much of that has changed recently with technology, the transfer portal, and NIL?  Is that really a part of closing a deal?

6 hours ago, casimir said:

Is that really a part of closing a deal?

I think the interpersonal part remains the biggest part right up to the point when the $ figure is big enough to replace it. That point if probably an individual matter for every recruit but I imagine working rules of thumb will emerge that reflect the real world probabilities, something like maybe if you are more than $500k short of the competing offer, you don't bother elevating a contact.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Moore appears to be making some strong recruitment on coaches even if Harbaugh is attracting all those he wanted to the NFL.

If one assumes that the Assistance Coach budget has remained, and given the money saved on Moore's deal compared to Harbaugh why shouldn't it have, then Michigan remains a pretty good gig for an assistant coach. 

I don't know what's next - Publicly 'M' says they don't want to play the buying players game. Maybe that's just be PR, or it may be an opinion of some but not all internal constituencies, or it could be PR  of necessity to cover that they can't raise the NIL to compete, or it could be real sentiment and maybe we see a few years of retrenchment until some order returns - whether that be collective bargaining, Congressional action, or something. I'm sure there are a few schools perfectly happy to see it turn into the wild west - the OSUs and Alabama's;  but I find it hard to believe aren't enough schools, even in the power 5, that  want to see unregulated purchase of players end quickly that that isn't what is going to happen - it's a matter of finding the "how."

Edited by gehringer_2

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

but I find it hard to believe aren't enough schools, even in the power 5, that  want to see unregulated purchase of players end quickly that that isn't what is going to happen - it's a matter of finding the "how."

Are there too many of those schools that fear being left out?  Is Minnesota or Arkansas or Virginia Tech just content with the status quo for now just to get to the next step in this odyssey?

I think the synthesis of the current CFB crisis in coach and player retention is coming.   But, the other arm of the crisis is player safety and financial security.   I think there are a lot of traditionalists who are ready to hold their nose and vote for change that empowers players with some of the aspects of employment safeguards if it means stability of their rosters for at least two years. 

The old system where the bubbas could bankroll players who were otherwise stuck at their school for at least 3 years was not tenable when they were competing with schools that at least had to give eyewash to the NCAA's rules. 

Would the universities ever license their name and branding out for football to a minor league organization? Let's say the Michigan Wolverines, Michigan State Spartans, Ohio State Buckeyes, Alabama Crimson Tide, etc. were no longer NCAA colligate teams, but the names of teams in the USFL or NFL 2. Basically, the football programs turn into minor leagues for the NFL and lose any academic requirements or ties. The new minor league organization would have a player contracts, a draft, free agency, trades, professional athletes getting paid to play minor league football until they are NFL eligible, and no academic considerations whatsoever.

What the universities get in return is hefty rights fees for their trademarks, a cut of all the money from tickets/merch/etc., and deal with none of the administrative headache of running a collegiate football program. The team name being licensed out by the university and maybe agreements to let the band play at the games, cheerleaders be on the sidelines, would be the only ties to the university. The university could still use football revenue to cover all of their other non-revenue sports as they do now. They also would be off the hook for having to repair or modify football stadiums as the new league would take control over that.

The USFL or whatever the organization is called would get the name, likeness, band/cheerleaders, and history of the school, while separating it from the academics. The USFL Michigan Wolverines would also have their own team president, GM, player personnel people, scouts, trainers, and a coaching staff as an NFL team would. So an AD like Warde would have nothing to do with the program unless he was hired in a role there (I would hope not).

The USFL would also have a legal agreement that, baring an injury exemption, no player could be in the league for over 4 years. Once a player is eligible for the NFL draft and declares that they cannot be held to their USFL contract, so as to prevent the USFL from directly competing with the NFL. Heck, the NFL could even own a majority stake in the minor league system.

I'm guessing such a minor league system, with current college team names and brandings, would never work as money and egos would ruin such a collaboration or effort.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

7 hours ago, romad1 said:

I think the synthesis of the current CFB crisis in coach and player retention is coming.   But, the other arm of the crisis is player safety and financial security.   I think there are a lot of traditionalists who are ready to hold their nose and vote for change that empowers players with some of the aspects of employment safeguards if it means stability of their rosters for at least two years. 

The old system where the bubbas could bankroll players who were otherwise stuck at their school for at least 3 years was not tenable when they were competing with schools that at least had to give eyewash to the NCAA's rules. 

One would think they would do something. Then again, look how long it's taken to do anything about  'one and done' in basketball (and it's still not a sure thing it changes) with the next NBA CBA, despite it having been pretty much reviled by every coach and school from the beginning.

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Would the universities ever license their name and branding out for football to a minor league organization? Let's say the Michigan Wolverines, Michigan State Spartans, Ohio State Buckeyes, Alabama Crimson Tide, etc. were no longer NCAA colligate teams, but the names of teams in the USFL. Basically, the football programs turn into minor leagues for the NFL and lose any academic requirements or ties. The new minor league organization would have a player contracts, a draft, free agency, trades, professional athletes getting paid to play minor league football until they are NFL eligible, and no academic considerations whatsoever.

What the universities get in return is hefty rights fees for their trademarks, a cut of all the money from tickets/merch/etc., and deal with none of the administrative headache of running a collegiate football program. The team name being licensed out by the university and maybe agreements to let the band play at the games, cheerleaders be on the sidelines, would be the only ties to the university. The USFL or whatever the organization is called would get the name, likeness, band/cheerleaders, and history of the school, while separating it from the academics. The USFL Michigan Wolverines would also have their own team president, GM, player personnel people, scouts, trainers, and a coaching staff as an NFL team would. So an AD like Warde would have nothing to do with the program unless he was hired in a role there (I would hope not).

I'm guessing such a minor league system, with current college team names and brandings, would never work as money and egos would ruin such a collaboration or effort.

Fair question. One problem is control, which the schools won't want to give up. I think if it ever gets to a real professional minor league, a lot of schools would as soon walk away but will find they can't because they have huge investments in stadiums and facilities they may still be paying notes on. 

I think the more interesting question is whether a true NFL minor league would continue to generate income the way college football does. It could end up a different animal in terms of it's revenue generating potential. Look across all sports and where is there an example of a high income generating minor league? Could be football will be unique because of the small number of games that can be played in a week, but think about the contrast between interest in the NBA G-league vs current college basketball. A G-league like outcome for football is a worst case scenario of course, but it should make people a little cautious to realize how catastrophic outcomes could be if they aren't careful.