09/03/2023 7:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

casimir

7 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Was he talking trash? (Again?). The guy is going to be a FA but his immaturity will cost him millions of dollars.

I don't know.  I didn't watch the game, but I bet if I look at the replay on his double in the first inning he was probably yapping.   Dude ties his shoes right and he runs his mouth.   My 2nd most-hated player in the Majors right now.  

46 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

what frosts me about it is that is a fundamental misuse of statistics and statistical theory. When a guy goes 7/8, he is not the guy your season stats say he is, he is a guy who is seeing the ball unusually well and you are perfectly justified in riding his hot hand. The idea that every player always represents the same sample population is a total fallacy. They are on average, but only on average. In any specific instance, a human being may be passing through any of various states of being/emotion/health/*performance*.

The problem is that these states end as quickly as they begin.  A player on a hot streak will only continue to hit until he is no longer hot and that can happen in his next at bat.  Tango, et al showed in The Book that being on a hot or cold streak has little predictive value.  Players have a strong propensity to hit at their norms regardless of their recent past.  Now, if the manager actually sees a real change and thinks it can continue, I guess he can roll with the hot streak.  In general though, a hot streak is not indicative of a changed man.   

I didn't watch the game today, but I assume he was removed for a lefty?  How many of his previous 7 hits were against lefties?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

what frosts me about it is that is a fundamental misuse of statistics and statistical theory. When a guy goes 7/8, he is not the guy your season stats say he is, he is a guy who is seeing the ball unusually well and you are perfectly justified in riding his hot hand. The idea that every player always represents the same sample population is a total fallacy. They are on average, but only on average. In any specific instance, a human being may be passing through any of various states of being/emotion/health/*performance*.

Agree. Similar to a coin flip. Over time the analytics play out but at that one moment go with the guy whose hot !!!

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

The problem is that these states end as quickly as they begin.  A player on a hot streak will only continue to hit until he is no longer hot and that can happen in his next at bat.  Tango, et al showed in The Book that being on a hot or cold streak has little predictive value.  Players have a strong propensity to hit at their norms regardless of their recent past.  Now, if the manager actually sees a real change and thinks it can continue, I guess he can roll with the hot streak.  In general though, a hot streak is not indicative of a changed man.   

I didn't watch the game today, but I assume he was removed for a lefty?  How many of his previous 7 hits were against lefties?  

I think it depends on what you define as a 'streak'. I look at it primarily on a daily basis. There are days when a hitter isn't missing anything or a pitcher has pin point control and that often tends to hold through the individual game. Once the sun comes up again, I would agree. The day is the basic boundary for highs and lows. You can also apply a little observation. A guy that is 2/4 and has barreled up all four is not the same situation as the guy who is 4/4 on one hard hit and 3 seeing eye grounders. So if the research doesn't dive in to the story behind the gross results, I'm not sure if it's as determinative as I would want. You would have to separate BaBIP luck out. My basic beef is with managers who are paying attention to the game they see in front of them when it doesn't agree with their preconceived notions of probability. 

Plus from the other side, any hitter will tell you he is not the same guy everyday (except for maybe Cabrera at his peak).

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it depends on what you define as a 'streak'. I look at it primarily on a daily basis. There are days when a hitter isn't missing anything or a pitcher has pin point control and that often tends to hold through the individual game. Once the sun comes up again, I would agree. The day is the basic boundary for highs and lows. You can also apply a little observation. A guy that is 2/4 and has barreled up all four is not the same situation as the guy who is 4/4 on one hard hit and 3 seeing eye grounders. So if the research doesn't dive in to the story behind the gross results, I'm not sure if it's as determinative as I would want. You would have to separate BaBIP luck out. My basic beef is with managers who are paying attention to the game they see in front of them when it doesn't agree with their preconceived notions of probability. 

Plus from the other side, any hitter will tell you he is not the same guy everyday (except for maybe Cabrera at his peak).

If it's the same pitcher, then yes it makes a difference.  I am assuning Baddoo was removed because they brought in a lefty.  

Edited by Tiger337

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Per "The Book," small sample hot streaks for hitters tend to be not-very-predictive because a lot of times it comes in multiple plate appearances against the same pitcher. Thus, the hot streak could be a result of a pitcher being a particularly good match-up, poor quality, etc. Were any of those 8 PA's against a LHP? A batter versus a RHP is not the same batter as one against the LHP, particularly a left-handed batter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Agree. Similar to a coin flip. Over time the analytics play out but at that one moment go with the guy whose hot !!!

But a coin flip is 50/50 regardless of what the previous flips were. 25 straight heads does not mean the 26th flip is more or less likely to be heads.  It’s 50/50. There’s no such thing as a streak in coin flips. 

29 minutes ago, oblong said:

But a coin flip is 50/50 regardless of what the previous flips were. 25 straight heads does not mean the 26th flip is more or less likely to be heads.  It’s 50/50. There’s no such thing as a streak in coin flips. 

Assuming a fair coin. Bayseians may claim 25 in a row suggests there may be a bias in the coin.