Eagles at Lions

buddha

35 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Sheila is her own person. I don’t tie her to mom or dad at all.  She will have her own legacy.  It will either be the person who continued the misery or the fortune changer.  She gutted what her mom did and has started over.  It may work, it may not.  But I’ll give the benefit of the doubt because she didn’t maintain status quo.  

The thing with SFH is the same with WCF, maybe they will succeed, but there just isn't any kind of resume there of successfully building/managing any kind of competitive organization. Now that's not the be all and end all, she *might* turn out to be good at it, and plenty of people with a lot of outside success have been terrible sports owners - our own Dan Gilbert not the least with the Cavs and Tom Monahan with the Tigers. And for that matter WCF Jr has/had plenty of management experience when he was advising his father and that sure didn't seem to do any good.

Still, all-in-all your odds are probably better with an owner that has a resume of accomplishment building or running something. SFH is just another 'maybe we get lucky this time.' That's not her fault, it just is what it is.

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I know people like to say they haven't won a game without Stafford in 10 years for the shock value, but he went 8.5 straight seasons without missing a single game. 

So a year and a half is 24 games. Would it shock anyone if the Lions extended Goff for 3 or 4 years? That would be so typical of this franchise.

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So a year and a half is 24 games. Would it shock anyone if the Lions extended Goff for 3 or 4 years? That would be so typical of this franchise.

Yes. It would shock me.  If they extend Goff then they clearly don’t know what they are doing.  This group may not be the answer but it would Be shocking if they gave Goff anything other than walking papers.  He is the worst stater in the league and Campbell has called him in it. 

Edited by TP_Fan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The thing with SFH is the same with WCF, maybe they will succeed, but there just isn't any kind of resume there of successfully building/managing any kind of competitive organization. Now that's not the be all and end all, she *might* turn out to be good at it, and plenty of people with a lot of outside success have been terrible sports owners - our own Dan Gilbert not the least with the Cavs and Tom Monahan with the Tigers. And for that matter WCF Jr has/had plenty of management experience when he was advising his father and that sure didn't seem to do any good.

Still, all-in-all your odds are probably better with an owner that has a resume of accomplishment building or running something. SFH is just another 'maybe we get lucky this time.' That's not her fault, it just is what it is.

If the Ford Motor Company was run as poorly as the Lions have been, they would be out of business. The way the NFL is set up, the Lions will make money without winning a game. And their team value will appreciate at an undeserving rate.

3 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Yes. It would shock me.  I’d they extend Goff then they clearly don’t know what they are doing.  This group may not me the answer but it would Be shocking if they gave Goff anything other than walking papers.  He is the worst stater in the league and Campbell has called him in it. 

I agree. But we need to remember this IS the Lions. The only requirement to get a front office job or coaching job? No experience required. Just keep making them money and keep your mouth shut...lol

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If the Ford Motor Company was run as poorly as the Lions have been, they would be out of business. The way the NFL is set up, the Lions will make money without winning a game. And their team value will appreciate at an undeserving rate.

This is where I'm at.  For all of the "it's a business" line of thinking regarding Calvin's bonus (I agree with their decision to take it back, though I really don't care), Sheila and her mom and dad have zero demonstrated business acumen/success, so I just don't see giving any of them the benefit of the doubt until they start actually getting it done.  

WCF Jr. was a fairly successful business man and had a catastrophic influence re: Millen, so even biz success is no guarantee of anything WRT sports ownership, though demonstrated success seems a lot better than nothing.

Edited by sabretooth

I agree. But we need to remember this IS the Lions. The only requirement to get a front office job or coaching job? No experience required. Just keep making them money and keep your mouth shut...lol

The Lions have no recent history of extending bad QBs. They let Joey Harrington go. The closest example is probably Charlie Batch who signed an extension. Goff still has 3 years remaining on his contract anyways. He won't be re-signed unless he suddenly turns back into the Pro Bowl QB he was with the Rams. 

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

... Rather than call a TO on 3rd down and set a play to get the 1st and a plan a few end zone shots, he rushes to the line with the clock running and trying to catch them off guard and for the umpteenth time this season the Lions don’t execute while rushing to the line for a crucial play.   Goff hands to Swift who doesn’t get the first down.   Instead of sitting 3rd and 1 on the 21 with 34 seconds they are 4th and inches on the 20 with 13 seconds. ...

Specifically...

If you call a TO on 3rd down, you can run TWO plays out of the TO... IE: If we don't make a 1st and it's 4th and short "run this play", and if 4th and long "run this play". If we make a 1st then "run this play". After the 3rd down, THEN you might be able to catch the D off-guard by running up to the line without a huddle and firing off a quick play...

• Thanks 1

TBH, outside observer's have had serious criticisms of the way FoMoCo has been run throughout WCF's Jr's tenure as COTB. There has been a bit of a crises to crises pattern with some poor CEO tenures (Hackett, Nasser) alternating with management 'rescues' Peterson, Mullaly, and now Farley is getting a lot of positive press and the stock value heading up again. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions simply cannot give Calvin Johnson money since that would be against league rules. They would have to employ him. The Lions offered to pay him his $1.6 million but he would need to make appearances...

I believe CJ complained that he was just getting back the bonus $$$ he had been forced to give up and was against that...

It seems the simple solution would be for the two sides to negotiate and if it ends up as $1.8M or $2.4M for 3 years, or whatever, to make appearances... that the two sides could get to some type of agreement that would allow both sides to save face/ move on/ get to a comfortable safe space and:

That would be better for both the Org/ CJ in an all-encompassing way...

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

I believe CJ complained that he was just getting back the bonus $$$ he had been forced to give up and was against that...

It seems the simple solution would be for the two sides to negotiate and if it ends up as $1.8M or $2.4M for 3 years, or whatever, to make appearances... that the two sides could get to some type of agreement that would allow both sides to save face/ move on/ get to a comfortable safe space and:

That would be better for both the Org/ CJ in an all-encompassing way...

Why the hell should the Lions give him back more than what they took back? Johnson has literally said to fix it they need to give him his money. They can't. They offered to give him his money if he made appearances. It's not like they are asking him to suit up and play again like he originally agreed to do. What's best is if Calvin Johnson just went away. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions have no recent history of extending bad QBs. They let Joey Harrington go. The closest example is probably Charlie Batch who signed an extension. Goff still has 3 years remaining on his contract anyways. He won't be re-signed unless he suddenly turns back into the Pro Bowl QB he was with the Rams. 

I'm not saying or suggesting that they should extend him. It would be the stupidest thing they could do. So yeah, it's the Lions. Any stupid thing they do wouldn't surprise me.

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why the hell should the Lions give him back more than what they took back? Johnson has literally said to fix it they need to give him his money. They can't. They offered to give him his money if he made appearances. It's not like they are asking him to suit up and play again like he originally agreed to do. What's best is if Calvin Johnson just went away. 

This makes zero sense. The Lions offered him a contract and he accepted it. He didn't  (or couldn't) live up to his end of the deal. Paying it back is the only honest and honorable thing to do.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

This makes zero sense. The Lions offered him a contract and he accepted it. He didn't  (or couldn't) live up to his end of the deal. Paying it back is the only honest and honorable thing to do.

They can't just write him a check. It's against NFL rules. The honorable thing to do would be for Calvin Johnson to accept the fact he didn't hold up his end of the agreement and is not entitled to money he didn't earn. 

Edited by Motown Bombers
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If it's 1.8M instead of 1.6M are the Lions going to go bankrupt? Does it kill them that bad?

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They can't just write him a check. It's against NFL rules. The honorable thing to do would be for Calvin Johnson to accept the fact he didn't hold up his end of the agreement and is not entitled to money he didn't earn. 

I'm pretty sure that you and Sports Freak agree on this one.

• Like 1