Eagles at Lions

buddha

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I said at the start of the season that I wasn't going to be hard or overly critical on Campbell or this regime because of how new everyone was and how awful this roster was. That said, Campbell has made a number of troubling coaching mistakes and outright blunders. Anyone beginning to question his coaching IQ isn't really wrong because he hasn't given fans a whole lot of reason to think otherwise.

Though you do have to wonder how much of it is a chicken and an egg situation. LIke would he still make the decisions if the roster wasn't so butt.

For example does he take the points more often with a kicker who wasn't cut from 9 teams this year and a defense that could ocassionaly tackle. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

So the Jets beat the Bengals and the Bengals beat the Lions. That means the Jets are better than the Lions....😄😄

no, it just means the bengals arent really that good and "any given sunday" happens in the nfl to most other teams...just not the lions apparently.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm gonna give you a can of Alpo and some moldy bread with a handful of shredded cheese.   Make a good meal out of it. 

He's got nothing, man.  Just nothing. 

Tater summed up my thoughts almost exactly.    I’m growing concerned about his game management and decision making.  

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I said at the start of the season that I wasn't going to be hard or overly critical on Campbell or this regime because of how new everyone was and how awful this roster was. That said, Campbell has made a number of troubling coaching mistakes and outright blunders. Anyone beginning to question his coaching IQ isn't really wrong because he hasn't given fans a whole lot of reason to think otherwise.

I would seriously consider trading a pick to the Jets backup QB for Mike White if he keeps going off like he did today. If White gets the chance to start on several more occasions, 3-4 games, and has performances like he did today against the Bengals, I'd be willing to trade for him and make him our new starting QB.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I would seriously consider trading a pick to the Jets for Mike White if he keeps it up at QB.

Gotta see more.   He could be a Matt Flynn.  Very little tape on him.   Hang on to draft picks and trade anyone you can for picks in the top 3 rounds.   That includes Hock.  I mean, ANYONE.  

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Love the freak out when a team that was expected to be bad is bad.

I'd like to see them get ONE win.  Just one. 

Only one team in modern NFL history (1934 and on) has had multiple 0 win seasons and that's the Detroit Lions (1942 0-11) and (2008 0-16).   They are embarking on a third.    

But there is hope.   The Tampa Bay Buccaneers lost their first 26 games but found themselves in the playoffs just two years after that streak ended.    The 1-15 and 0-16 Browns are a contender just 3 years later.    Load up on draft picks and don't miss.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Gotta see more.   He could be a Matt Flynn.  Very little tape on him.   Hang on to draft picks and trade anyone you can for picks in the top 3 rounds.   That includes Hock.  I mean, ANYONE.  

That's why I would want to get through 3/4/5/6 games first. If he's solid through a 5-6 game stretch as their starting QB I think it's worth seriously kicking the idea around. The difference between Matt Flynn and Mike White is the teams they were playing. Mike White is playing a good Bengals defense and Matt Flynn played us.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Love the freak out when a team that was expected to be bad is bad.

You cant understand why people are especially upset at the effort level today?  It defies credulity that they would lay an egg like this against a bad team at home, regardless of the larger context.

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

well, there is bad, then there is Lion's bad! No matter how many years you've had to prepare, it's still hard to expect Lions's bad.

There is bad and then 50 feet of s*** and then us today. The last time a remember a performance this bad by the Lions was during Patricia's first game on MNF against the Jets.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

The players suck and dont care, the HC cares a ton but doesnt have the players to make it work, and the new FO staff has to deal with all of it and build a winning roster and culture, with the media, players and fans pretty much convinced that it cant happen.

The labors of Hercules.  Or Sisyphus.  Or whatever...man.

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Right now my concern (and I am sure their concern as well) is finding that win. 3-14, 2-15, even 1-16 (given the nature of the early losses to the Ravens and Vikings) is forgivable, and an acceptable start to the regime given how completely devoid of talent the roster is, combined with the injuries to their best players.

0-17 though is an absolute regime killer, right or wrong. It would just be so hard to come back from that. At the point we go 0-17, you have to consider replacing at least Campbell, whether the locker room wants to or not. Or at the very least keeping him on a short leash in year two if marked improvement is not seen with a second year of talent acquisition.

I think there are still wins to be had on the schedule, but the team cannot come out dead every other game.

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah....we have a ton of draft picks, hit on them. We desperately need playmakers. And we'll have money to spend next year?

theyre going to be carrying a lot of dead money next year, especially if they move off from goff and flowers.

they have to get rid of all the stupid contracts quinn signed for marginal/good players.  a roster full of the average at best, buoyed by a good qb.  remove the qb and you get 0-7.

5 hours ago, KL2 said:

1320529223886.jpg

The odds we lose the next nine games remains less than us finishing 1-16 or 2-15. Regardless of how poor we looked yesterday.

Steelers, Bears, Vikings, and Falcons are all winnable games if the Lions team that went 60 minutes punch for punch returns instead of the team that rolls over and dies at the first sign of adversity.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

theyre going to be carrying a lot of dead money next year, especially if they move off from goff and flowers.

they have to get rid of all the stupid contracts quinn signed for marginal/good players.  a roster full of the average at best, buoyed by a good qb.  remove the qb and you get 0-7.

Lions only have $7 million in dead money in 2022, mostly from Jamie Collins and Tavai. They took the brunt of it this year. I highly doubt Goff will be cut. Flowers is likely to be cut. They would save $22 million in cutting Flowers post June 1st.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The odds we lose the next nine games remains less than us finishing 1-16 or 2-15. Regardless of how poor we looked yesterday.

Steelers, Bears, Vikings, and Falcons are all winnable games if the Lions team that went 60 minutes punch for punch returns instead of the team that rolls over and dies at the first sign of adversity.

I don’t recall any games where they went 60 minutes punch for punch with anyone.    They have played well at times but haven’t come close to putting together a full game.    

My personal expectations of this team were very low and have only gotten worse.  The talent was never there and this was always going to a rebuild.  As for Campbell, this didn’t mean a free pass, it meant that I wasn’t going to judge him on W-L record.  He is essentially a first time head coach and there were big questions how he was going to handle preparation and game day.  I am growing concerned that he makes poor decisions and continues to double down on them even when they don't work.   He has literally been doing the same things and hoping for a different result.  

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason for why he goes for it or not on 4th down.   This seems to be based on his gut feel. He also continues to try and go quick, up tempo whenever they get into a 3rd or 4th and short with the hope that it will confuse the other team and instead it is the Lions that get confused and don’t convert.  This has happened multiple times this season and there is still no adjustment.    There have also been some horrible clock management at the end of half and games.   The drive before halftime was another example of huge gaffes with playcall and TO management in a 17-0 game.  

I like his attitude and I haven’t given up but there still needs to be some coaching acumen no matter how much the players and fans love his rah rah.  We saw how this combination worked before with Rod Marinelli and nobody wants a repeat of that.  

Edited by Hongbit