2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

if healthy - which is obviously a silly thing to say as injuries will certainly come up - they can win ALC with this pitching staff

They  have to come out of the gate hitting though. We can't see a repeat of the last two years where nobody hits until May and they are already 10 under.

56 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Was Turnbull at $7-8M a bad option, compared to what Flaherty is getting?  He must have really burned a bridge with Harris and Co.

Flaherty had an ok season and if he can build on it the Tigers can give him a qualifying offer. Turnbull has a lot more to prove at this point.

51 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

no doubt. the issue is not blocking prospects, it is that Vierling, McKinstry and Ibanez are decent, but Harris should be able to find one more guy this winter better than decent

If they think Jung is likely be called up at some point, it would justify going with a Vierling/McKinstry platoon at 3B to start the season.

I hate this notion of "blocking" a hitter, particularly with how players and teams lineup today. For starters hardly anybody plays 150 games even if they are healthy so guys are always taking days off and for another fewer and fewer guys have set positions instead they just plug guys all over the diamond. So between the two you can easily mix and match a number of different players and find enough at bats for all them, other teams do it all the time. 

Not to mention guys like Malloy and Jung aren't the type of prospects you should even be worrying about "blocking" anyway, I mean I have hopes for them but these aren't two legit top tier prospects, in my opinion. Atleast not good enough where you should be turning away legit players if you could acquire them....which to me is the main issue and that's that there aren't a ton of said players bats on the FA market. I suspect that's the main reason why we haven't or likely won't get any major bats and not because Harris doesn't want to "block" anybody. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I hate this notion of "blocking" a hitter, particularly with how players and teams lineup today. For starters hardly anybody plays 150 games even if they are healthy so guys are always taking days off and for another fewer and fewer guys have set positions instead they just plug guys all over the diamond. So between the two you can easily mix and match a number of different players and find enough at bats for all them, other teams do it all the time. 

Not to mention guys like Malloy and Jung aren't the type of prospects you should even be worrying about "blocking" anyway, I mean I have hopes for them but these aren't two legit top tier prospects, in my opinion. Atleast not good enough where you should be turning away legit players if you could acquire them....which to me is the main issue and that's that there aren't a ton of said players bats on the FA market. I suspect that's the main reason why we haven't or likely won't get any major bats and not because Harris doesn't want to "block" anybody. 

What makes you say they aren't legit when everybody else and their mothers say they are.

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

What makes you say they aren't legit when everybody else and their mothers say they are.

Sure, they are legit prospects, but they aren't Riley Greene level prospects.  Malloy, in particular, doesn't have a position.  Jung is more highly regarded, but I've heard mixed reviews on his defense and readiness for the majors.  If there was a good MLB third baseman available (there probably isn't) I wouldn't worry about blockng either one.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Clinkeroo said:

I’d like to see a six man rotation with Mize being teamed with Gibson-Long in a Tanana/Scherrer type split to save innings pitched.

I don't think there's much chance Gibson-Long starts the season in Detroit.  MLB teams need those 7th/8th/9th SPs on the depth chart these days, and his options make that an easy decision.

I think it will be interesting to see how Mize is handled early on.  I kind of wonder if he starts out the season at Toledo in rehab as a means to keep his innings down a bit earlier in the season.  He's pitched 150 innings before, but that was in 2021.  Can he duplicate that at the MLB level after a handful of shorter outings in Toledo?  Maybe a game or two going through the lineup only twice, maybe another game or two where he's allowed to go past that if he's pitching well?  I realize he's probably been rehabbing and working his craft outside of the box scores.  But how does that work manifest itself in live games?  How will he be able to handle the workload over a full season after his time off?

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Was Turnbull at $7-8M a bad option, compared to what Flaherty is getting?  He must have really burned a bridge with Harris and Co.

Yes. If you are going to bank on somebody returning to 2019-2021 form, may as well be somebody who was an ace at that time not somebody who was an ace by default.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

no doubt. the issue is not blocking prospects, it is that Vierling, McKinstry and Ibanez are decent, but Harris should be able to find one more guy this winter better than decent

Not to be the contrarian, but I like Vierling at third. I think he has more in the tank.

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If there was a good MLB third baseman available (there probably isn't) I wouldn't worry about blockng either one.  

I think Matt Chapman would be a good fit in Detroit. Money and length of contract is more than Harris will commit to a contract to get him. I view him as a veteran guy, as in Canha, that younger guys could relate too. He played with a younger and successful team in Oakland and his experiences would probably serve well in Detroit now. 

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I think Matt Chapman would be a good fit in Detroit. Money and length of contract is more than Harris will commit to a contract to get him. I view him as a veteran guy, as in Canha, that younger guys could relate too. He played with a younger and successful team in Oakland and his experiences would probably serve well in Detroit now. 

Would you concede that you are completely shooting from the hip on the clubhouse side and Harris et. al. likely have more information there?

So

Skubal-Maeda-Manning-Mize-Flaherty  with Olsen-Gipson Long-Madden-Flores-Wentz on stand by.    Okay,  Not sure Mize is gonna be much this year (based on Fulmer & Turnbull's returns)

I think Vierling was the best player in that trade last year and I think he's going to develop into a pretty good and pretty useful player.   I think he's close to locking-in.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 1776 said:

He'd be a good fit for most teams because he can hit and field.  The question is whether a team wants to go out about 6 years on an infielder who will be 31 next year.  My guess is the Tigers aren't going to take that kind of risk, at least not yet.

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Vierling was the best player in that trade last year and I think he's going to develop into a pretty good and pretty useful player.   I think he's close to locking-in.  

Keep in mind, I thought the same think about Mikie Mahtook too - and if the Tigers has better coaching staff back then he could have been a better player, but I really like Vierling.   The guy is solid at 4 positions and could probably even play First if needed. 

20 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Detroit rotation: Skubal, Maeda, Manning, Flaherty, with Olsen or Mize, with the other one being a piggy-back reliever for Maeda.

Toledo: SGL, Madden, Flores, Hurter, Englert

Erie: Jobe and Melton

Faedo, Brieske, Montero are now relievers

Is Brieske locked into being a reliever?

I know Faedo is, and Montero and Flores and Wentz most likely are/ look better there/ or will end up there...

But I didn't think Brieske was there (locked in) yet...