Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

21 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I tend to be agnostic on guys like CMo. If we applied the standards that we're talking about Morris and others then guys like Jim Price would have no business in the broadcast booth as well.

To take it a step farther maybe they should have kept Ralph Kiner and Phil Rizzuto out of the booth as well

Billy madison GIFs - Hole dir die besten GIFs auf GIFER

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not advocating necessarily nor do I know if he even has the skillset for it but would they consider just moving Johnny Kane to the booth if he showed interest in the job?

Kinda seems like a move Bally would make, instead of spending the time or resources searching for a bigger/proven name just give the job to the next man up so to speak.

I would be shocked if the Tigers approved such a move. 

On 10/4/2023 at 10:24 AM, Tigermojo said:

If they are bringing CMo back there was no point getting rid of Shep. They could bring in the best PBP guy in the world but the rest of them are going to drag the broadcast down. Either elevate your whole game or don't bother. It's like firing the manager and expecting the mediocre team to improve.

This absolutely. I think Shep is taking the fall for a broadcast that is weak across the board.

The loss of Morris hurt. For as much issue as anyone would have on his old school takes about the game, he did have a high level of presentation skill/talent. I wonder if the Tiger org may be deluding themselves that because Al Kaline rated well without having a high level of media skill, that media skill doesn't matter in the player in the booth. But it does matter. No-one else is, or will be, Al Kaline.  It was not only his level of insight as a baseball mind, but also the fact that he was still on the field working with all these guys all Spring every year which gave him even more insight into the team than being just a run of the mill ex-player.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 10:46 PM, Tenacious D said:

I’d like him back, but not sure about redemption.  If any of us had co-workers who were in a fistfight, or some other physical altercation, they would like be dismissed, too. And not hired back.

I worked with two guys, in radio who had a couple of physical altercations and one of them involved throwing hands. Suspended for a week both times  and they got along fine after that.    The station doesn't exist but they are still friends now.    Stuff boils over sometimes.   Spending every working day with the same person who knows how to needle you?   Not the end of the world.   Don't know why anybody needed to expose Rod & Mario's tiff.  

If they think what happened was so unforgivable (was Mario the puncher or the punchee?) then go rescue Kevin Brown from that ridiculous owner in Baltimore,  who, believe me, will screw this thing up for the Orioles by 2025 and have them back in the cellar again.    

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I worked with two guys, in radio who had a couple of physical altercations and one of them involved throwing hands. Suspended for a week both times  and they got along fine after that.    The station doesn't exist but they are still friends now.    Stuff boils over sometimes.   Spending every working day with the same person who knows how to needle you?   Not the end of the world.   Don't know why anybody needed to expose Rod & Mario's tiff.  

If they think what happened was so unforgivable (was Mario the puncher or the punchee?) then go rescue Kevin Brown from that ridiculous owner in Baltimore,  who, believe me, will screw this thing up for the Orioles by 2025 and have them back in the cellar again.    

Impossible to screw that team up. They have too much talent to not own that division for the next 5 years at least.

27 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

If this happens, I'll also wager that the announcement comes on the friday before the superbowl so the media/fan blowback is minimized.

I don't think there would be much blowback.    I think the only potential resistance is if they hire Mario and not Rod, it might look racist, unless it comes out that Rod threw the punch.     But would Rod be the kind of guy that would overreact to something? 

Welp, keeping this person anonymous, but I do have a long-standing Twitter DM thread with somebody who has been mentioned in this thread, and he tells me he very much wants the job but thinks he will be way down the list and that this will have a lot of demand across the country. Take that for what it's worth.

11 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Welp, keeping this person anonymous, but I do have a long-standing Twitter DM thread with somebody who has been mentioned in this thread, and he tells me he very much wants the job but thinks he will be way down the list and that this will have a lot of demand across the country. Take that for what it's worth.

so hows Rod Allen doing these days? 😛

22 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Isn't Greg Gania a radio guy? 😉

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

They have him - his name is Andy Dirks. If they can't see that it's everyone's loss.

Hopefully he even wants to job at all. He only did home games on radio so maybe he's not interested in the travel, or in TV for that matter. And if they didn't give Gibby or Monroe or Petry the gate along with Shep, I don't see Dirks supplanting any one of them on the TV broadcast.

On 10/3/2023 at 5:40 PM, Jim Cowan said:

Jack LaLanne, wow.  He's the granddaddy of them all.

Yeah...but Bodyshaping with Kiana and Deprise in bikini's defined the exrecise show genre.

I worked out at Bally's Vic Tanney in the early 90's. Speaking of fit women in bikini's...hd to love the pool area

What is the status of Lance Parrish currently? Any opinions on him joining Dan on radio. In 2019 he was some kind of assistant to the GM but that GM is gone. He’s managed in the minor leagues and been successful in the bigs. I have no idea what he would be like on radio? Opinions?

7 minutes ago, 1776 said:

What is the status of Lance Parrish currently? Any opinions on him joining Dan on radio. In 2019 he was some kind of assistant to the GM but that GM is gone. He’s managed in the minor leagues and been successful in the bigs. I have no idea what he would be like on radio? Opinions?

Scales and Dirks are great.