Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

• RedRamage changed the title to Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

https://ilitchnewshub.com/2023/11/tigers-ink-jason-benetti-to-multi-year-contract-as-television-play-by-play-broadcaster/

127 games at least. If he has other obligations, Dan Dickerson will do the tv broadcast. It does mention working with Bally but maybe their situation is so up in the air that they decided to hire directly for multiple years. 

I don't know about everyone else but to me this says Ilitch is serious about fielding the best possible team.

Edited by Tigermojo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

https://ilitchnewshub.com/2023/11/tigers-ink-jason-benetti-to-multi-year-contract-as-television-play-by-play-broadcaster/

127 games at least. If he has other obligations, Dan Dickerson will do the tv broadcast. It does mention working with Bally but maybe their situation is so up in the air that they decided to hire directly for multiple years. 

I don't know about everyone else but to me this says Ilitch is serious about fielding the best possible team.

With time built into his schedule to satisfy national broadcast obligations, Benetti will call a minimum of 127 Tigers games each season. When those scheduling conflicts occur, the Tigers will move long-time radio play-by-play voice Dan Dickerson over to television. Dickerson, who has filled in on television in the past, agreed to do this to ensure fans have the best broadcast experience possible throughout the season.

From the article as well, this to me says a lot.... it tells me that the org (whether that is Harris, Ilitch or both) took fan criticism about the broadcast to heart

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Is the broadcast even gonna be on Bally?

"Bally" is just a trademark at this point. It seems likely that whoever ends up owning the broadcast origination, they are likely to leave in place as much of the current asset they assume as they can - but nothing is for certain.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I would have said yes to JD before they got Canha, but he no longer fits.  

I don't know about Martinez' defense fitting in.  I know, it sounds stupid given his bat.  But I don't think he's a fit if the Tigers truly do want to rotate guys in and out of the DH spot, kind of using it as a semi day off.  I do like the theory.  But then that means a bat only player like Martinez won't fit.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't know about Martinez' defense fitting in.  I know, it sounds stupid given his bat.  But I don't think he's a fit if the Tigers truly do want to rotate guys in and out of the DH spot, kind of using it as a semi day off.  I do like the theory.  But then that means a bat only player like Martinez won't fit.

I think his bat is good enough to stick at every day DH, but Canha's ability to play the field somewha tprobably works better for Harris and Hinch.  

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I know Benetti is a great story.  I have no idea whether or not he's a good broadcaster.  I did just see a clip of him sounding intelligent and thoughtful which you wouldn't get from any of their other TV crew.  

In the times I've watched him, he's always been the anti-Matt Shepard in that he can really get the most insight out of whoever he is working with. And he genuinely loves the game and seems knowledgeable about it.

I also think it speaks volumes that they he's a guy with a national portfolio as well. Just brings tons of credibility to the table.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In the times I've watched him, he's always been the anti-Matt Shepard in that he can really get the most insight out of whoever he is working with. And he genuinely loves the game and seems knowledgeable about it.

I also think it speaks volumes that they he's a guy with a national portfolio as well. Just brings tons of credibility to the table.

He seems universally loved on Twitter.  Not seeing anything negative which is rare.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

FYI he has cerebral palsy 

dangerous path people go down when they attack people's afflictions/challenges. 

That NFL short video of the various NFL fans going to dunk on the Bears fan when they go "do you root for the Bears?" and the guy turns around and reveals he's down's syndrome and their tune changes comes to mind.