Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Technically, it’s catch it with one hand and then time the other to cup the ball and secure it in the first hand. It’s the lack of that timing that leads to most bare-handed drops.

I got yelled at by Al Kaline in a camp because I caught my balls wrong.  I guess it was like how Rickey Henderson would do it.  The ball would fall into my glove as my glove was a few inches to the left of my face and I would have my hand right there ready to throw.  I played LF for 4 years in HS and the sun would set to my right as I am facing the plate so when I would use my hand to block it that was the best way to do it.  I played on that same field for probably 10 years so it was a solid habit.  I never dropped a ball, I had a cannon for an arm if I must brag.   I never changed.  I liked being able to see the ball the entire time

21 minutes ago, oblong said:

I got yelled at by Al Kaline in a camp because I caught my balls wrong.  I guess it was like how Rickey Henderson would do it.  The ball would fall into my glove as my glove was a few inches to the left of my face and I would have my hand right there ready to throw.  I played LF for 4 years in HS and the sun would set to my right as I am facing the plate so when I would use my hand to block it that was the best way to do it.  I played on that same field for probably 10 years so it was a solid habit.  I never dropped a ball, I had a cannon for an arm if I must brag.   I never changed.  I liked being able to see the ball the entire time

I mean, that’s a fun story and all but ya gotta come up with better Al Kaline stories to keep up with @The Ronz 😎

32 minutes ago, oblong said:

When I was elementary school we would play softball in gym class and we still had school supplied mitts around that were 1930's style, basically flat padded affairs. That's where the two handed mantra evolved and it was perfectly correct. But all your off hand does if you are wearing any modern 13" OF glove is potentially get in the way.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Technically, it’s catch it with one hand and then time the other to cup the ball and secure it in the first hand. It’s the lack of that timing that leads to most bare-handed drops.

In my case, it's not playing ball in years that caused it.  The velocity at which the ball dropped caught me by surprise.