2023 MLB Playoffs

Toddwert

Rays committed four errors. I’ve noticed that the Rays commit a lot of mental mistakes and errors in general to be a perennial contender. Recently, I attribute it to younger guys making the roster out of AAA due to injuries at the MLB level. Additionally, like other orgs, the Rays move players around often. I hope their sloppy play today at home doesn’t cost them the series. 

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

Rays committed four errors. I’ve noticed that the Rays commit a lot of mental mistakes and errors in general to be a perennial contender. Recently, I attribute it to younger guys making the roster out of AAA due to injuries at the MLB level. Additionally, like other orgs, the Rays move players around often. I hope their sloppy play today at home doesn’t cost them the series. 

One of the issues with quantitative based management is you can fall into the trap of missing unmeasured variables. This is not unlike corporations that make bad strategy moves because their cost accounting systems tell them to try to save money in one place, which ends up costing them a lot more money in another place, but they don't have any way to know it because that place doesn't have the right cost measurement metrics in place to tell them. 

Let's posit that 'moving guys around' causes a deficit of 'X' in a team's Rrds over a season, and an increase 'Y' in the teams runs scoring. As long as Y > X we are golden. What if it isn't? How would you even know? We all know the team can measure 'Y', can any of them measure 'X'? How do you assign a weight to how much a player playing multiple positions contributes to a play not made? I'll posit the defensive metrics and sample sizes being what they are, it's not an easy thing to do. Plus every player may respond differently.  But it's always a dangerous thing to assume that just because you can't or don't measure something that it doesn't exist.

Do you get the impression that Ray's ownership is whistling past the graveyard with the notion that a new ball park at the same spot is suddenly going to draw more fans? I'm  very skeptical that whatever co-development they do in the area will make any difference to baseball attendance either. Buying tickets to a sporting event is pretty disconnected from any consideration of whatever level of civic activity is going on around the venue. There just isn't that much connection other than maybe having places to eat - and probably more than 3/4 of fans see eating in the ball park part of the experience. Maybe the presence of a ball park benefits commerce in the area around it, but I don't think the equation works much in the other direction.

1 minute ago, MIguy said:

The only reason that new "ballpark" is being built is for all the events it can host that don't involve hitting a ball with a piece of wood.  It's only going to seat 30,000 for baseball but can expand to 35,000 for concerts and such.  

Right - so how does that get you closer to a successful baseball franchise?

6 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

The snow birds are up north in the summer and down south in the winter which is why football has better attendance than baseball. 

But still 19000 for a playoff game should get the franchise moved. Disgraceful. 

montreal would get twice that with a good team.  

Edited by Tiger337

34 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Right - so how does that get you closer to a successful baseball franchise?

It doesn't.  I just don't see people in Florida ever caring about baseball which is kind of funny considering how many older people live there. 

As bad as it is for the Rays, it's worse for Marlins.  They have twice the metro area population to pull from and draw less people.

Edited by MIguy

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Do you get the impression that Ray's ownership is whistling past the graveyard with the notion that a new ball park at the same spot is suddenly going to draw more fans? I'm  very skeptical that whatever co-development they do in the area will make any difference to baseball attendance either.

I don’t know what kind of development can be had in that area, really. It’s largely an established residential area with a smattering of bar and self storage facilities and fitness centers and the like. It would be a little like putting a new stadium for the Tigers at 8 Mile and Schoenherr. You can fit a stadium there, but there’s otherwise not a lot of there there.

Edited by chasfh