2023 MLB Playoffs

Toddwert

51 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

My specific memory of this:

I was watching it via TIVO at the time and was maybe fifteen or twenty minutes behind. Just as this at bat is starting, I see a call coming in from my buddy, the Mets fan. I knew right away he was calling to either congratulate me for the win or commiserate with me over the loss. I was still watching it on delay, so of course I let the call go to voicemail.

Then I saw what should have been the HBP. In a split second I thought, oh my god, that's a run coming home and we have the lead! We're gonna win! We're gonna win! That's what my buddy was calling about! The Tigers are going to the playoffs! All that took about half a second to go through my mind.

But then the umpire said no, even after the replay showed the ball grazed the jersey. I was deflated, but there was still only one out with the bases loaded. But when Inge grounded into the force and Gerald Laird (!) struck out, I knew I didn't even have to watch the bottom of the inning to know we'd lost, because my buddy would probably not have called if the game weren't over yet. So bitterly disappointing. Basically a Lions-like outcome.

Then I heard the voicemail commiserating with me over the loss.

Edited by chasfh

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

A couple things...

I'm glad this video is out there because a Twins fan friend of mine needled me over this game today.

I really don't like the tone of "I won't forgive Randy Marsh for this..." We need to tone down the personal rhetoric around officials, especially given some of the violent outbursts at lower levels steering people away from the profession. Plus, it is a tough call with a tough angle with a 200-250 lb padded person between the umpire and the play. Blame MLB for being slow to implement instant replay.

The play I most remember from that game was Polanco not making the play in extra innings.  It was a double play ball that would have ended the game.  The announcer raised his voice in anticipation of the game ending play.  The only question was whether it would be a DP or just a forceout.  Then he didn't make the play at all.  It wasn't an error, but is was a play he makes all the time.  

The Inge play was big too, but it impacted me less because the way the game was going, they probably would have blown it in the bottom of the inning anyway.  

Edited by Tiger337

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The play I most remember from that game was Polanco not making the play in extra innings.  It was a double play ball that would have ended the game.  The announcer raised his voice in anticipation of the game ending play.  The only question was whether it would be a DP or just a forceout.  Then he didn't make the play at all.  It wasn't an error, but is was a play he makes all the time.  

The Inge play was big too, but it impacted me less because the way the game was going, they probably would have blown it in the bottom of the inning anyway.  

You can put that one at Leyland's door. Old school. Play your regular guy even if he is hurting because somehow he'll overcome it. Polanco didn't. It's an even starker contrast to a management that won't play a guy with a hangnail now.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

A couple things...

I'm glad this video is out there because a Twins fan friend of mine needled me over this game today.

I really don't like the tone of "I won't forgive Randy Marsh for this..." We need to tone down the personal rhetoric around officials, especially given some of the violent outbursts at lower levels steering people away from the profession. Plus, it is a tough call with a tough angle with a 200-250 lb padded person between the umpire and the play. Blame MLB for being slow to implement instant replay.

or, and hear me out on this, we can curse out Randy Marsh and Jim Joyce to the end of time. 

My way seems more fun

Bad umpire calls are annoying when they happen, but I always get over them pretty quickly.  They have a tough job with no glory, only blame.  I'd rather blame players or really just circumstances.   Or even better, blame the manager or GM. 

Just like in real life!   

Edited by Tiger337

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think it was a reference to having a different line-up every day.  

I also think it might have been a reference to comments made here that modern "regular" players get more rest days than their predecessors did.  I didn't think it was a specific Tigers reference.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I’ve been listening to this game. I am enjoying it thoroughly.

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

Kershaw goes .1 inning giving up 6 runs for an ERA of 162.00

The fact that Kershaw is their ace should tell a lot about the Dodgers chances this postseason.  Buehler’s TJ surgery and Urias being a douche really hurt this team. ERod would have helped a lot.