2023 MLB Playoffs

Toddwert

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

Hold up.  I realize I'm old.  And I don't go to fast fooderies.  But I can't just roll up to Taco Bell and say, "I like baseball, I would like my complimentary taco, please"?  And they can look at me and make general assumptions that, middle aged guy, probably a baseball fan, just get him a taco so we can get back to watching tik tok videos on the clock?  What kind of promotion is this?

You don't get what you don't ask for! Go for it! The kid who takes your order probably won't say it, but he'll think "Ok Boomer"!! 😄

At least we have a World Series champion that outscored their opponents during the regular season, although we’ll be denied the fun of being outraged by a playoff pool so deep that it allowed a World Series champion that was outscored by their opponents during the regular season to make the playoffs in the first place.

Edited by chasfh

I think it's fair to call the Rangers a legit WS champ.  They tied for the 3rd best record int the AL.  They beat both teams ahead of them 5-0 (4-0 on the road) and beat the team they were tied with (4-0 on the road).   They were in 1st most of the year in their division.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:44 AM, oblong said:

I think it's fair to call the Rangers a legit WS champ.  They tied for the 3rd best record int the AL.  They beat both teams ahead of them 5-0 (4-0 on the road) and beat the team they were tied with (4-0 on the road).   They were in 1st most of the year in their division.

They also had the second best run differential/pythag record in the league (96-66).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chasfh said:

They also had the second best run differential/pythag record in the league (96-66).

Isn’t there a theory that the difference between the Pythagorean record and actual record is managerial?  And if true, Bochy cost them games in the regular season?  What a hack.  I mean, ain’t no way in hell I’d tell him that, but it is what it is.

34 minutes ago, casimir said:

Isn’t there a theory that the difference between the Pythagorean record and actual record is managerial?  And if true, Bochy cost them games in the regular season?  What a hack.  I mean, ain’t no way in hell I’d tell him that, but it is what it is.

managerial moves may be part, but I'd guess having a big drop off between the front and back of the BP, or even between the front and back of the rotation is going to have the biggest effect. Getting blown out distorts the pythagorean model because scoring is unbounded on one side but bounded by zero on the other, so scores only distribute approximately to model. if you have a decent team but a few bad pitchers, your runs against will end up inflated compared to your overall record (i.e. when you lose you lose big, but you don't necessarily lose a lot). Pythagorean is correlated to the league average run differential. So I would guess where your team sits on the 'gets blown out' vs 'still has other good pitchers' scale has a lot to do with where you sit vs your pythagorean prediction..

Edited by gehringer_2