2023 MLB Playoffs

Toddwert

19 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

It’s math. Tatis is 340 million and Baez is 100 they save 240 and get a cheap asset like Skubal which replaces the need to spend more$ for pitching. 

Actualy it’s more possible for Bogarts since he disappointed but not sure we want him. 

If we’re getting Tatis in order to WIN NOW!, then why are we giving them our ace?

15 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The key issue is that, PRIOR to the trade, I'm certain that any evaluator calculator would have told the Marlins: No! Don't do that trade!

But again, financial duress causes teams to do very strange things.

Which is what we are banking on and discussing at this point...

Even if the likelihood is 0.0001%.

That 1/10,000 chance is critical!

(To our mental and emotional health...)

Coincidentally, the same odds as being struck by lightning at some point in your life.

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

It is unfortunate how “post-season records” have been watered down with extra rounds, but Adolis Garcia is having a post-season for the ages. 22 RBIs after that home run. 

Every once in a while a guy comes along who is absolutely magic for a short period of time. It’s Adolis Garcia’s turn now. And good for him—not everyone gets that.

2 hours ago, MIguy said:

I had the feeling I was going to miss something by turning off the game after the 8th inning but just couldn't hold on thanks to some nighttime cold medicine taken a bit too early.  What an amazing finish.  

I was the opposite. Listened to the first three innings on Rangers radio and then watched off and on until the 7th. Then it slipped my mind until I thought oops, I may have missed the end so better check in. Happy to see it was still on, with 1 on and 1 out in the 9th. 

Regarding the Miggy deal in hindsight. Trying to be as objective and contextual… knowing what happens would you as a Tigers fan make that deal in 2007, or be happy about it, if Cabrera was already signed to a contract paying him what he eventually got?  If Florida had signed him jn 2006 to a deal until 2023?   

2 hours ago, MIguy said:

I had the feeling I was going to miss something by turning off the game after the 8th inning but just couldn't hold on thanks to some nighttime cold medicine taken a bit too early.  What an amazing finish.  

I conked out between the 10th and 11th innings. Timing.

Obligatory unsolicited opinion: I don’t like that the zombie-runner rule is different in the playoffs than during the regular season. It’s a tacit admission that they are not 100% behind the rule itself—if they were behind it, it wouldn’t be different. Baseball should either always use it, never use it, or modify it such that they become 100% behind it. Pick a lane.

• Like 3

I'll ad that I feel the same way about the pitch clock. Either always in use or drop it. I happen to like it, but different rules for the playoffs may be a deal breaker for me.

Also ban the damn reporters from the dugouts and playing field during the game. The interviews were extremely annoying

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Regarding the Miggy deal in hindsight. Trying to be as objective and contextual… knowing what happens would you as a Tigers fan make that deal in 2007, or be happy about it, if Cabrera was already signed to a contract paying him what he eventually got?  If Florida had signed him jn 2006 to a deal until 2023?   

I would say it was too many years, but It would be worth it because of the first 11 years of the deal.  I was very confident that Cabrera was going to an elite hitter for a long time.  I am less sure about Tatis because he seems kind of flakey.  He has some personal problems.  As it turned out Cabrera had some problems as well, but it wasn't obvious at the time.  With Tatis, it would depend on who had to give up to get him.  If it was mostly a salary dump, then I wouldn't mind if the Tigers took the chance.  I knd of doubt that would be the case though.  San Diego doesn't appear to be especially budget conscious.

49 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I conked out between the 10th and 11th innings. Timing.

Obligatory unsolicited opinion: I don’t like that the zombie-runner rule is different in the playoffs than during the regular season. It’s a tacit admission that they are not 100% behind the rule itself—if they were behind it, it wouldn’t be different. Baseball should either always use it, never use it, or modify it such that they become 100% behind it. Pick a lane.

I would hate to see them implement the Manfred Man for the post season.  It would be like the NHL adopting the same rules for playoff OT as the regular season.  I'm fine with regular season games not being allowed to go on for additional hours, keep the playoffs pure.   

9 minutes ago, MIguy said:

I would hate to see them implement the Manfred Man for the post season.  It would be like the NHL adopting the same rules for playoff OT as the regular season.  I'm fine with regular season games not being allowed to go on for additional hours, keep the playoffs pure.   

This is not a commentary on you—you’re a pretty good poster and you’re in the running for rookie of the year here—but I simply despise the term “manfred man’. One, because it’s just so cutesy-poo and it makes me cringe just hearing it. But, also, it suggests an joyful embracing of the concept itself, and I’m not sure I’m completely there yet, at least in its current form.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is not a commentary on you—you’re a pretty good poster and you’re in the running for rookie of the year here—but I simply despise the term “manfred man’. One, because it’s just so cutesy-poo and it makes me cringe just hearing it. But, also, it suggests an joyful embracing of the concept itself, and I’m not sure I’m completely there yet, at least in its current form.

I am not there at all.  I still don't watch extra inning games because putting free runners on base is not baseball.  It's good that they don't have it in the playoffs, but I will never be OK with them doing it in the regular season.  I'd rather see a game end in a tie than see free base runners.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

If we’re getting Tatis in order to WIN NOW!, then why are we giving them our ace?

Well that's a fair and good question. The reason is three fold :

1.) You have to give up something of value for Tatis and SD needs to replace Snell cheaply since they want to cut salary.

2.) Tatis is a star and we do not have one plus he makes our offense legit.

3.) We do have $$ to spend so Yamamoto / Nola / Snell "Gray replaces Skubs OR we are following the new path 

of 4 to 5 inning starters and  deep bullpen relying on Fetter and development for starting pitchers saving money for hitters who can catch the baseball.

Just now, Tiger337 said:

I am not there at all.  I still don't watch extra inning games because putting free runners on base is not baseball.  It's good that they don't have it in the playoffs, but I will never be OK with them doing it in the regular season.  I'd rather see a game end in a tie than see free base runners.  

I'd be OK with it in a modified form. There is precedent for the zombie-runner rule—it's existed in international baseball since the 2008 Olympics, and I saw it in action when I went to Cuba in 2015. Only at that point it was runners on first and second, and starting in the 11th inning, not tenth.

If we have to have it, I would prefer to see zombie runner starting in the 11th inning instead of the tenth, runner only on second. I would like to see the tenth inning played as normal, and in 2019, 44% of all extra innings games ended in the tenth. Another 28% of games ended in the 11th that season, so starting the extra runner in the 12th would suit me fine, too. I think I've come around to preferring either one of these to no zombie runner at all.

But either way, I definitely want the rule to be the same for both playoffs and regular season.

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Well that's a fair and good question. The reason is three fold :

1.) You have to give up something of value for Tatis and SD needs to replace Snell cheaply since they want to cut salary.

2.) Tatis is a star and we do not have one plus he makes our offense legit.

3.) We do have $$ to spend so Yamamoto / Nola / Snell "Gray replaces Skubs OR we are following the new path 

of 4 to 5 inning starters and  deep bullpen relying on Fetter and development for starting pitchers saving money for hitters who can catch the baseball.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't see how having Tatis gets us deeper into the playoffs than I think having the ace without Tatis would. I don't think even with Tatis, a battery of decent starters going four-five innings coupled with a gaggle of meh-to-decent bullpen pieces gets us into November.

Just now, chasfh said:

I'd be OK with it in a modified form. There is precedent for the zombie-runner rule—it's existed in international baseball since the 2008 Olympics, and I saw it in action when I went to Cuba in 2015. Only at that point it was runners on first and second, and starting in the 11th inning, not tenth.

If we have to have it, I would prefer to see zombie runner starting in the 11th inning instead of the tenth, runner only on second. I would like to see the tenth inning played as normal, and in 2019, 44% of all extra innings games ended in the tenth. Another 28% of games ended in the 11th that season, so starting the extra runner in the 12th would suit me fine, too. I think I've come around to preferring either one of these to no zombie runner at all.

But either way, I definitely want the rule to be the same for both playoffs and regular season.

They could have two traditional extra innings and if it's still tied after 11, call it a tie.  I will never rationalize free runners.  

I'd be perfectly fine with ties in the regular season, no idea why a tie is such a bad thing in sports.  I do love what hockey did with the 3 on 3 OT session but after that, just end the game rather than going with a skills competition to decide it.  It would be like baseball having a mini home run competition to decide games.   

Also, I like the term "Manfred Man"  I think it's clever and fun.😗

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Talk about "not baseball"! 🤣

There were ties all throughout the early history of baseball.  In fact, three World Series games have ended in ties.  I don't like ties, but when you have to stop playing baseball in order to end the tie, then it should be a tie because there is no real winner.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

There were ties all throughout the early history of baseball.  In fact, three World Series games have ended in ties.  I don't like ties, but when you have to stop playing baseball in order to end the tie, then it should be a tie because there is no real winner.  

Ties were always replayed and not part of the record. I do r think I’d want to see replays of several tie games every year, or just have those games disappear from the record.

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Ties were always replayed and not part of the record. I do r think I’d want to see replays of several tie games every year, or just have those games disappear from the record.

If they were allowed to play 12 innings at most, then about 1.2% of the games (or 2 games per team would end in ties).  They could just count the statistics of those games and leave them as ties.  If the 13th best team complains about missing the post-season because of a couple of ties, I will laugh at them.  Ties are not ideal, but I prefer them to fundamentally changing the rules of the game in order to get a winner.