2023 MLB Playoffs

Toddwert

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I am not there at all.  I still don't watch extra inning games because putting free runners on base is not baseball.  It's good that they don't have it in the playoffs, but I will never be OK with them doing it in the regular season.  I'd rather see a game end in a tie than see free base runners.  

I feel about it like I do when there’s extreme weather conditions but they keep playing. Both teams are abiding by same rules and conditions but the fabric of the game shifts and you make luck too much of an element.  And has it even been shown yet to reduce long inning games?  But having said that I hate the banning of the shift more. 

37 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

No way you trade Skubal to San Diego in any trade. ‘Cause he’s heading to LA for the ERod bounty, pending a SP free agent signing 

For Tatis, I’d send Jung, Carpenter, Malloy and Madden. (Or other interchangeable parts).

Which makes ERod vetoing that trade even more painful but it makes sense they will revisit the discussion with hopefully a better return for Detroit for Skubal.

38 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Sorry, if I've turned into the old guy who hates everything about the modern game!  I do like the pitch clock and the increase in stolen bases though.  

I didn’t like the clock initially but mid season someone at a game asked me about it and I realized I forgot all about it… so that’s good. I like the playoff games ending about 25 min earlier.  

you are not the old guy. I come across them in numerous Facebook group the site pushes to me and it’s amazing how many still go on about wins and RBI and make fun of todays pitchers being soft and not as good as Nolan Ryan and how it is a travesty he never won a cy young and why isn’t Pete Rose in the HOF because of all the steroids today and these Mexicans are ruining things with their showboating.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

No way you trade Skubal to San Diego in any trade. ‘Cause he’s heading to LA for the ERod bounty, pending a SP free agent signing 

For Tatis, I’d send Jung, Carpenter, Malloy and Madden. (Or other interchangeable parts).

This is what I would start with.

I don't think it'd fly... Like, 0% chance...

But it's nice to look at, at least...

Bare minimum you have to swap Madden out for Jobe.

22 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I am not there at all.  I still don't watch extra inning games because putting free runners on base is not baseball.  It's good that they don't have it in the playoffs, but I will never be OK with them doing it in the regular season.  I'd rather see a game end in a tie than see free base runners.  

I read an article a couple of months ago by a sportswriter who also hated the free baserunner. In his opinion, baseball shouldn't allow it. But he also was pushing the idea of only 2 outfielders during extra innings. It's almost as stupid as putting a runner on 2nd base. For the record, I hate it too. Why not a HR contest? 😅😅

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I've won a few bets on the sausage race because you can tell which one is likely to win just by watching their legs, how they move, and how limber up beforehand.

have you been handicapping the sausage race and did you factored in Randall Simon?

Edited by Toddwert
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MIguy said:

If we're changing the rules of baseball for the better, I think that right handed batters should run the bases in reverse order.  

I like that—the 3B becomes 1B vs right handed hitters.  Think of the possibilities when a player on 1B and 3B can both steal 2B at the same time?

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2023 at 7:24 PM, oblong said:

I feel about it like I do when there’s extreme weather conditions but they keep playing. Both teams are abiding by same rules and conditions but the fabric of the game shifts and you make luck too much of an element.  And has it even been shown yet to reduce long inning games?  But having said that I hate the banning of the shift more. 

I have seen stats showing that is has reduced long inning games.  I still hate it and I don't think I'll ever get used to it, but it's just another thing that isn't going to be reversed so I have to deal with it.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I have seen stats showing that is has reduced long inning games.  I still hate it and I don't think I'll ever get used to it, but it's just another thing that isn't going to be reversed so I have to deal with it.  

I’ve said this before but I wouldn’t mind if this were done later in extras like the 11th or 12th. At that point I think both clubs just want to move on. You burn thru pitchers and it affects the upcoming games. Starting pitchers are brought out, position players… it gets silly.   I mean with the pitch clock proving to reduce games by a significant number it’s now ok to play real baseball for 2 or 3 more innings.  Then you can introduce gimmicks to just get it over with. But even doing that I don’t think is required.

Let the clubs employ an emergency starting pitcher that isn’t active but can be used after inning 10. You can rotate it every few games.  Let a AAA pitcher come up for 2 or 3 games to live the good life. No service time accrual unless they pitch but they get a ML salary. Then he can go back for his regular start and another comes up. You can figure out a rotation within their existing workload. Hockey has a similar setup with goalies. There’s always one on standby in case goalie  #2 gets hurt. It’s usually some beer league guy.  A few years ago in Toronto one of them came in and the team came back to win.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

I’ve said this before but I wouldn’t mind if this were done later in extras like the 11th or 12th. At that point I think both clubs just want to move on. You burn thru pitchers and it affects the upcoming games. Starting pitchers are brought out, position players… it gets silly.   I mean with the pitch clock proving to reduce games by a significant number it’s now ok to play real baseball for 2 or 3 more innings.  Then you can introduce gimmicks to just get it over with. But even doing that I don’t think is required.

Let the clubs employ an emergency starting pitcher that isn’t active but can be used after inning 10. You can rotate it every few games.  Let a AAA pitcher come up for 2 or 3 games to live the good life. No service time accrual unless they pitch but they get a ML salary. Then he can go back for his regular start and another comes up. You can figure out a rotation within their existing workload. Hockey has a similar setup with goalies. There’s always one on standby in case goalie  #2 gets hurt. It’s usually some beer league guy.  A few years ago in Toronto one of them came in and the team came back to win.  

I think the rule has more to do with preserving pitching staffs than shortening games.  So, maybe your suggestion could work. 

Manfred said the other day, that they are going to try to figure out a way to get staring pitchers to go back to pitching more innings because that's what fans want.  I don't think that can be done with a gimmick.  It would require some kind of substantial change.  Chas has suggested many times that deadening the ball would fix many of the games problems - too many strikeouts, not enough balls in play, starters getting burnt out.  The problem is they won't give up the long ball.    

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Instead of a warning track, have a moat with alligators in it. I bet that would bring in a few more fans,  

One more thing I would do for baseball: in the outfield, I would have a series of randomly-placed landmines. “There’s Marshall, settling under that ball …” KABOOOOM! “Holy SHT!”