Week Six: Detroit Lions (4-1) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-1)

9 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Sure Tampa Bay is 3-1 but they’ve beaten a terrible team in Chicago, two mediocre teams in Minnesota and NO, and lost to the Iggles. Hats off to them, they haven’t beaten themselves. But they also haven’t beaten anybody good. 

So they have only lost one game and that was to an NFC powerhouse. Tampa may be better than we think. Winning builds confidence. 

I think Tampa has a pretty good roster and the only reason I didnt give them a chance this year was their qb play but if (big if) Mayfield continues to perform at or near the level he has been playing at there is no reason they can't be a 9+ win team, especially given their division. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think Tampa has a pretty good roster and the only reason I didnt give them a chance this year was their qb play but if (big if) Mayfield continues to perform at or near the level he has been playing at there is no reason they can't be a 9+ win team, especially given their division. 

This will be a good test for both. Can Lions continue momentum on the road and can TB beat a good team.  TB run game is underwhelming so I'm not too worried about this. Mayfield seems to be directing toward Evans and Godwin most.

Could be an every week statement: If we can get pressure, a couple sacks and push Mayfield around we should be good to go.

Edited by KnoxP

The running and passing stats are pretty shocking considering that Montgomery is not known to be a big chunk getter and that Gibbs hasn't even gotten going yet and the big passing play stats considering that the Lions, on paper, don't have the personnel that you'd think would present big play threats and, two, that they have more big passing plays than Miami. It seems like Reynolds alone has accounted for like 10 of those. Just imagine when/if Gibbs and Jamo get going.

Two weeks in a row a key contributor is injured at ****ing practice.  Just stop practicing already.  Walk throughs only once the season starts.  NFL teams have so much invested in these players and they expose them to significant injury outside of game days, it’s a wild cognitive dissonance.  

7 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Two weeks in a row a key contributor is injured at ****ing practice.  Just stop practicing already.  Walk throughs only once the season starts.  NFL teams have so much invested in these players and they expose them to significant injury outside of game days, it’s a wild cognitive dissonance.  

It’s frustrating but I also doubt we would be as good as we are if we didn’t practice.

I doubt they’re going out and killing each other in practice. I’ve watched mid season college practices before and when it’s offense vs defense it’s usually played “bang”, or when the contact is made the play is over.

We are talking about a strained hammy and a (presumably) strained calf muscle, not bone bruises and concussions.

2 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

I am surprised the players don’t demand it. What’s the point of hitting on any day besides Sunday?

First of all: Who says it was due to hitting? There are plenty of ways to get injured that don't involve football contact. 

Second: Just because they aren't practicing doesn't mean they won't play Sunday. It's entirely possible it's precautionary.

Third: Walk throughs aren't the same thing as doing the plays live. You won't get the same feeling. If you never hit in practice you're not going to know how it works for real.

The Lions installed new turf at their practice facilities this year, wonder if that has anything to do with the injuries? Remember that we dodged a bullet with the CJGJ the first day of camp where he went down with a non contact injury as well. 

I know they installed the same at Ford Field as well so that's prob not the case but perhaps not all of them are the exact same,idk prob just random injuries but just throwing this possibility out there. 

56 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Lions installed new turf at their practice facilities this year, wonder if that has anything to do with the injuries? Remember that we dodged a bullet with the CJGJ the first day of camp where he went down with a non contact injury as well. 

I know they installed the same at Ford Field as well so that's prob not the case but perhaps not all of them are the exact same,idk prob just random injuries but just throwing this possibility out there. 

iirc, the new Turf is supposed to be less injury inducing, but who knows.

Green Bay is on a bye week. Vikings and Bears play each other. Packers would gain 1/2 game and either the Bears or Vikings would gain a full game with a Lions loss. A loss isn't the end of the world, I remember many seasons where we had no chance by Halloween. We'll be winning our division, just a matter of time.