The Gaza War

gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

This might be fake but who knows. I will believe it.  It makes sense as to motive.  As Drew Lane said “there’s a boner behind everything”

To quote Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles...

"What in the wide wide world of sports is 'a goin' on here???"

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

:classic_laugh:

This shouldn't go unnoticed... that's ridiculous.

Like, people are presented with all sorts of hardships while in school that do not allow professors to give this level of deference on exams. How on earth is this defensible? 

Edited by mtutiger

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

This might be fake but who knows. I will believe it.  It makes sense as to motive.  As Drew Lane said “there’s a boner behind everything”

I think they're now trying to cosplay as oppressed Palestinians. 

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not surprising at all.

This is what makes it hard... you try to take nuanced views on this conflict and even just the underlying passion that exists among the protestors; whether I agree with them or not, or think they are naive, I understand that some (or maybe even most) of these protestors are coming from a good place. 

But then you read stuff like this and it becomes clear that protests are aimless, pointless and are being undermined by people that are not even students at these institutions. And it becomes clear that they are doing more damage than they are doing any actual good. Not just in contemporary politics, but to the cause that they are ultimately trying to advance in a pluralistic society.

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is what makes it hard... you try to take nuanced views on this conflict and even just the underlying passion that exists among the protestors; whether I agree with them or not, or think they are naive, I understand that some (or maybe even most) of these protestors are coming from a good place. 

But then you read stuff like this and it becomes clear that protests are aimless, pointless and are being undermined by people that are not even students at these institutions. And it becomes clear that they are doing more damage than they are doing any actual good. Not just in contemporary politics, but to the cause that they are ultimately trying to advance in a pluralistic society.

I’ve have seen and heard a lot of demonizing of college students in general because of this—you know, those entitled little ****ers getting daddy and mommy to plunk down six figures to send them away hoping they’d get a business degree and a job that would pay them enough to get them out of the house for good and, bonus, pay for their end of life care. Who do these little snots think they are? They should go out and get a real job and see what it’s like to work in the real world for a change. Know what I mean? That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about. But probably far less than 1% of college students are even involved in these, and I just think politicians are stunting off this for likes from their base.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’ve have seen and heard a lot of demonizing of college students in general because of this—you know, those entitled little ****ers getting daddy and mommy to plunk down six figures to send them away hoping they’d get a business degree and a job that would pay them enough to get them out of the house for good and, bonus, pay for their end of life care. Who do these little snots think they are? They should go out and get a real job and see what it’s like to work in the real world for a change. Know what I mean? That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about. But probably far less than 1% of college students are even involved in these, and I just think politicians are stunting off this for likes from their base.

Agreed completely. There's a view of the college experience that is advanced or pushed in media more generally that tends to overrate the Ivies or even the higher prestige private or state schools (ie. UMich, Cal, Northwestern, etc.) that is not emblematic of the median college student. At even at *those* institutions, 95%+ percent of students are not out on lawns protesting right now.

I'm pretty sure the two institutions that I have attended (Michigan Tech and UT-Arlington) have not had protests, and I suspect both of these institutions are closer to the median in terms of the average college in America than the Ivies are.

As far as the politicians stunting off of these, it's a really huge pet peeve considering many of these politicians (ie. Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz, among others) hold degrees from these same institutions and undoubtedly will be tripping all over themselves to send their kids to their alma mater over sending them to a simple state school.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This shouldn't go unnoticed... that's ridiculous.

Like, people are presented with all sorts of hardships while in school that do not allow professors to give this level of deference on exams. How on earth is this defensible? 

Heaven forbid as a lawyer they have to work a case involving murder, abuse, or other mayhem. They'd be far too upset to make it to court. Maybe at Columbia they only teach Real-Estate law.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I'm pretty sure the two institutions that I have attended (Michigan Tech and UT-Arlington) have not had protests, and I suspect both of these institutions are closer to the median in terms of the average college in America than the Ivies are.

Even at UM, where there have been, there is no voice that speaks for more than a small number of students in such a polyglot assembly. Just as an example, there was a lot of press about the Graduate Assistant strike at UM - but I don't think a class was missed in the Engin school as Engin grad students weren't interested - they're in a very different situation than Grad Instructors in the Lit School but you'd never know that divide existed from the reporting to the outside. These institutions are so big and varied within they are more like little countries with just as many competing interests.

I'm laughing so hard.... he really thought he was going to take down that cop or he would move out of the way?  You think they gave the "They'll never take our freedom!" speech from Braveheart?

29 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I really worry about this generation. Miltary recruitment is at an all time low. However most of our enemies are out there getting battle tested nearly daily. 

haven't people been saying this for like 200 years? life is easier for me than it was for my parents (huge technology, healthcare advancements) and life will probably be easier for my kids than it is for me

agree about military - an all-volunteer force is amazing,

but universal service of some kind would be awesome for the country

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I really worry about this generation. Miltary recruitment is at an all time low. However most of our enemies are out there getting battle tested nearly daily. 

Could be worse, at least we still have a Military age population. China's and Russia's are both collapsing and Russia is killing off those that are left as fast as they can. One of the reasons that is almost never talked about but which I believe has to be a serious constraint on Xi. What kind of casualties can the Red Army sustain among all those only children before every mother in China is in Tianamen square? How much does Xi want to find out?

Edited by gehringer_2