Week Eleven: Chicago Bears (3-7) @ Detroit Lions (7-2)

MichiganCardinal

the lions have beaten one team with a winning record and that team was without two of their best players.

the best team they played crushed them.

the second best team they played beat them at home.

their defense has major holes against any fully functional offense with a pulse.

lets hold off on the super bowl predictions just yet.  lol.

deapite my reservations, i really hope houston comes back and can make an immediate difference because they badly need any kind of pass rush.  what happened to the successful stunts from last year?  have i missed it or are they not running as many of those now?

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

the lions have beaten one team with a winning record and that team was without two of their best players.

their defense has major holes against any fully functional offense with a pulse.

deapite my reservations, i really hope houston comes back and can make an immediate difference because they badly need any kind of pass rush.  what happened to the successful stunts from last year?  have i missed it or are they not running as many of those now?

The best team Detroit played caught them without Montgomery, who is the heart of their running game, and with a clearly hobbled Vaitai in the lineup and Jonah Jackson out of it. Detroit was playing with one hand behind its back, and you could tell they knew it.

The second best team they played won the coin toss in OT.

If they stay healthy, anything can happen, including winning the #1 seed. In the playoffs, anything can happen, especially if they get the #1 seed, and especially if they get a quality pass rusher and DB back. 

54 minutes ago, buddha said:

I think the Chiefs are better than the Ravens, and winning at Arrowhead in those conditions is possibly the most impressive win in the NFL this season. Yes, they were missing two players. That's the nature of the NFL.

The Ravens beat them soundly, no escaping that. The Seahawks needed three turnovers, a coin flip, and some questionable officiating. Not excuse making, but that probably could have - if not should have - been a win, and I like our chances in a rematch.

More importantly than any of that though, they've taken care of business against every other team they've played. It hasn't always looked pretty, but they're not lucking into wins like last year's Vikings either. They're finding ways to win, and good things happen to teams that win.

The Eagles have given up 31 points to the freaking Commanders TWICE this year, lost to the Jets, they "held" Dallas to 23 but the Cowboys gained over 400 yards and pretty much moved the ball at will only to fail in the RZ due to mistakes. Easily could've been 35+ points. They did hold Miami to 17 but Miami was playing without their game breaking RB Devon Achne and Mostert was limited to 9 carries. So if we don't get credit for the KC game due to Kelce being injured then the Eagles should get an asterisk for that one.

Not trying to say the Lions are better just saying that if we are going to nitpick everything about the Lions you can do that for all the other contenders as well. 

2 hours ago, number20 said:

Jonah Jackson ruled out for Sunday's game

I believe Awosika and Sorsdal have already played this year and held their own... I believe.

Not the best situation, Vatai is already out for the year... But no better time than now for these two to take steps forward and "next-man-up" at Guard.

I believe Ragnow and Glasgow are at Center and RG so really it's just one of them... but the one not starting at LG will still be active as the top backup on Sunday...

On 11/15/2023 at 9:47 AM, RedRamage said:

I would say "including Hutch." It's not that Hutch has been bad, he just hasn't been great and I expect great from a #2 over all pick.  Some of that can be explained by defenses focusing on Hutch, but he's not getting double teamed all the time. Hutch has be okay, but again I want more than okay for where he was drafted.

That's because you're just looking at sack numbers. He's one of the tops in the league in QB pressures, is excellent in the run game and even drops back in pass coverage at times, not to mention that he draws all the attention of the offense because of the lack of a bookend edge to ease the pressure off of him. In a lot of ways, he's actually better than last year despite pacing for slightly less sacks.

Edited by NYLion

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Eagles have given up 31 points to the freaking Commanders TWICE this year, lost to the Jets, they "held" Dallas to 23 but the Cowboys gained over 400 yards and pretty much moved the ball at will only to fail in the RZ due to mistakes. Easily could've been 35+ points. They did hold Miami to 17 but Miami was playing without their game breaking RB Devon Achne and Mostert was limited to 9 carries. So if we don't get credit for the KC game due to Kelce being injured then the Eagles should get an asterisk for that one.

Not trying to say the Lions are better just saying that if we are going to nitpick everything about the Lions you can do that for all the other contenders as well. 

you cant compare devin achane to travis kelce.  come on.

if tyreek hill was out, that would be a valid comparison.

19 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I believe Awosika and Sorsdal have already played this year and held their own... I believe.

Not the best situation, Vatai is already out for the year... But no better time than now for these two to take steps forward and "next-man-up" at Guard.

I believe Ragnow and Glasgow are at Center and RG so really it's just one of them... but the one not starting at LG will still be active as the top backup on Sunday...

Jackson makes a *huge* difference when he's in there - they are absolutely dominant. But the important dudes are still playing... Sewell, Ragnow, Decker, Glasgow. They should be ok. It's just too bad they can't keep the band together for more than 1 game this season.

Only conjecture, but Campbell might just be saving Jackson for GB. It's a short week

On 11/17/2023 at 12:37 PM, Jason_R said:

The best team Detroit played caught them without Montgomery, who is the heart of their running game, and with a clearly hobbled Vaitai in the lineup and Jonah Jackson out of it. Detroit was playing with one hand behind its back, and you could tell they knew it.

The second best team they played won the coin toss in OT.

If they stay healthy, anything can happen, including winning the #1 seed. In the playoffs, anything can happen, especially if they get the #1 seed, and especially if they get a quality pass rusher and DB back. 

Shhh. Detroit's injuries don't count.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Shhh. Detroit's injuries don't count.

I’m sympathetic to the pessimism. We’ve all been hurt before. 

OTOH, these really aren’t the SOL. And every team in the NFL has a flaw this season. Philly fewer than most at this point, but they have a bruising schedule coming up, and a QB who seems to have a knee issue. I’m letting myself hope. 

Lions receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown and offensive tackle Penei Sewell will face off with Bears receiver Equanimeous St. Brown and Bears rookie linebacker Noah Sewell. In the meantime pass rushers and brothers Romeo Okwara and Julian Okwara will also be active.

ESPN reported that in NFL history, there have been two games featuring three different sets of siblings. Both occurred in 1979 in games between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals, which featured Matt and Chris Bahr, Jim and Ross Browner, and Archie and Ray Griffin, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.