Week Eleven: Chicago Bears (3-7) @ Detroit Lions (7-2)

MichiganCardinal

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Playing on the cement turf in the Silverdome.

Blew out his knee on Minnesota's field, actually. Caught his foot in an open seam (their turf in that stadium was really, really bad). I remember that game too, and his injury sent me into a corner with my Vodka bottle. I didn't drink it though. Just sat there for hours, staring at the wall, holding that bottle like little baby Jesus. I mean, imagine Barry going down with a career-ending injury after only 5 seasons. End of Barry, that's it. Over. Gone. It was like that. Sims WAS the Lions back then, just like Barry was in the 90s

Edited by number20

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

There was a memorable swipe of a Gatorade table too at some point. Can't believe he only played 5 seasons with the Lions for a 60-game NFL career. When you're young, it feels so much longer. 

That was the Oilers game. Same one he karate kicked at the end of that run 

16 minutes ago, number20 said:

Blew out his knee on Minnesota's field, actually. Caught his foot in an open seam (their turf in that stadium was really, really bad). I remember that game too, and his injury sent me into a corner with my Vodka bottle. I didn't drink it though. Just sat there for hours, staring at the wall, holding that bottle like little baby Jesus. I mean, imagine Barry going down with a career-ending injury after only 5 seasons. End of Barry, that's it. Over. Gone. It was like that. Sims WAS the Lions back then, just like Barry was in the 90s

I was 18 the summer Barry quit. I basically was numb to the team for a few years after that. Took the wind right out of my Lions sails.

28 minutes ago, number20 said:

I remember his first game in the NFL. He led the Lions to a win in LA, against the Rams. He was a huge fan favorite from that day forward. And somehow the Silverdome turf got the blame, in my head. It really did end several careers.

Believe it or not, Billy was not the first Heisman-winning running back from the University of Oklahoma to be drafted by the Lions and rush for a 1,000 yard season before injuries shortened his career. Steve Owens a decade earlier. But I have no recollection of him, as I was born in '67 and didn't attend my first Lions game until '76.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/189273-oklahoma-sooner-legend-steve-owens

Edited by lordstanley

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Believe it or not, Billy was not the first Heisman-winning running back from the University of Oklahoma to be drafted by the Lions and rush for a 1,000 yard season before injuries shortened his career. Steve Owens a decade earlier. But I have no recollection of him, as I was born in '67 and didn't attend my first Lions game until '76.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/189273-oklahoma-sooner-legend-steve-owens

Owens career lasted about the same length as Billy Sims.   Had one great year but injuries slowed him down. 

I blame Biden. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Y’all are old.

😄 😄

Want to know how to spot the old geezers on this forum? Look for double-spacing between sentences. It's an old carryover from the manual typewriter days. Everyone was taught to double space back then to offset the problem of monospaced typesetting. It has nothing to do with punctuation (single-spacing has always been correct). Word processors eliminated the need for double-spacing decades ago. After around 1990, any typing class still teaching to double-space after a sentence was way behind the times.

And sorry all you curmudgeons, but don't even go there with me. I use to run a tech publishing department. I get this all the time. Single-spacing is correct, double-spacing is NOT, and hasn’t been since forever. Print, web... you name it, every professional publication out there correctly single-spaces between sentences. And it’s been that way for years and years. If you don’t believe me, go look for yourself. Even Microsoft Word’s spell check flags double-spacing as an error

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, number20 said:

😄 😄

Want to know how to spot the old geezers on this forum? Look for double-spacing between sentences. It's an old carryover from the manual typewriter days. Everyone was taught to double space back then to offset the problem of monospaced typesetting. It has nothing to do with punctuation (single-spacing has always been correct). Word processors eliminated the need for double-spacing decades ago. After around 1990, any typing class still teaching to double-space after a sentence was way behind the times.

And sorry all you curmudgeons, but don't even go there with me. I use to run a tech publishing department. I get this all the time. Single-spacing is correct, double-spacing is NOT, and hasn’t been since forever. Print, web... you name it, every professional publication out there correctly single-spaces between sentences. And it’s been that way for years and years. If you don’t believe me, go look for yourself. Even Microsoft Word’s spell check flags double-spacing as an error

I never typed until I got a PC. So I single space. I started following the Lions when Joe Schmidt was coach. I remember watching Dempsey kick that 63 yard field goal in New Orleans and the Lions 5-0 playoff loss to the Cowboys. The start of the SOL era.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I never typed until I got a PC. So I single space. I started following the Lions when Joe Schmidt was coach. I remember watching Dempsey kick that 63 yard field goal in New Orleans and the Lions 5-0 playoff loss to the Cowboys. The start of the SOL era.

1970 is still the best Lions team in my lifetime. They were a legit Super Bowl team, and honestly should've won it that year. That Dallas game was just.... weird. I have no words.

1983 wasn't bad. Not sure they were a SB team, but they had a puncher's chance. Had Eddie Murray not missed that field goal against the 49ers in the playoffs...

Pretty sure you'd agree they had some decent seasons in the 90s, but their main problem (besides no QB) was the NFC dominated most of that decade with so many good teams. Plus the division they played in - the Packers were really good, the Vikings were good.

Other than a quirk 2014 season, they've pretty much sucked since.

Until now 🙂

1 hour ago, buddha said:

vatai to injured reserve.  will be out of the league next season.  terrible signing by bob quinn.

lions sign senior citizen pass rusher bruce irvin to the practice squad and get news that houston is probably out for the year (december at the earliest...).

The back injury couldn’t have been foreseen, but Quinn signing the Eagles backup tackle to be our starting tackle was doomed from the beginning.

18 hours ago, buddha said:

lost season for houston.  

the ends have been a real disappointment this year (other than hutch, of course). 

I would say "including Hutch." It's not that Hutch has been bad, he just hasn't been great and I expect great from a #2 over all pick.  Some of that can be explained by defenses focusing on Hutch, but he's not getting double teamed all the time. Hutch has be okay, but again I want more than okay for where he was drafted.

16 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm expecting absolutely nothing from this signing. Now, to be fair we're getting pretty much absolutely nothing from most of our rushers, so maybe we'll see an small improvement? But I'm really not thinking he makes any sort of impact. I'll be very happy to be wrong of course, we'll see.

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I'm expecting absolutely nothing from this signing. Now, to be fair we're getting pretty much absolutely nothing from most of our rushers, so maybe we'll see an small improvement? But I'm really not thinking he makes any sort of impact. I'll be very happy to be wrong of course, we'll see.

I think it's an acknowledgement that they should have done more at the deadline. I'm worried they'll be kicking themselves for not doing more to get Chase Young.

15 hours ago, number20 said:

LOL - Thanks for that!

Ironically, the only people I've ever argued about this with were all born post word processor.

I remember doing a lots of search and replace for two spaces back to one on final assembled copies of bid documents when we had several people working on them.

The other tidbit is that IIRC, the IBM 'Selectric' typewriter was capable of proportional spacing even before the word processor era, though I couldn't tell you how it actually did space after a period. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I would say "including Hutch." It's not that Hutch has been bad, he just hasn't been great and I expect great from a #2 over all pick.  Some of that can be explained by defenses focusing on Hutch, but he's not getting double teamed all the time. Hutch has be okay, but again I want more than okay for where he was drafted.

This is dated Nov. 9, so before the Chargers game, but PFF has Hutchinson as one of the top edge rushers in the league in terms of pressures recorded and pass rush grade. Yes, the team’s pass rush has been streaky and disappointing, but Hutch has been pretty good.

Highest-graded player: Edge Aidan Hutchinson(90.0)

Only Maxx Crosby and Micah Parsons have more pressures than Hutchinson (46), and he boasts a top-10 pass-rush grade (89.3).

16 hours ago, number20 said:

😄 😄

Listen here kid! It is an old habit that is/was hard to break. I got grief for it here at work. Go easy on the old geezers, we bring wisdom. 😀

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - Thanks for that!

Ironically, the only people I've ever argued about this with were all born post word processor.

I remember doing a lots of search and replace for two spaces back to one on final assembled copies of bid documents when we had several people working on them.

The other tidbit is that IIRC, the IBM 'Selectric' typewriter was capable of proportional spacing even before the word processor era, though I couldn't tell you how it actually did space after a period. 

OR make each sentence it's own paragraph! 😉

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it's an acknowledgement that they should have done more at the deadline. I'm worried they'll be kicking themselves for not doing more to get Chase Young.

I saw a comment on Reddit about the Irvin signing. “Why Chase Young whe you can Chase Old.” 🙃

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Owens career lasted about the same length as Billy Sims.   Had one great year but injuries slowed him down. 

I blame Biden. 

WCF loved him some 1st round running backs but Barry was just about the only one that ever stayed healthy out of Eddy, Farr, Owens, Sims, Saunders.