Week Eleven: Chicago Bears (3-7) @ Detroit Lions (7-2)

MichiganCardinal

15 hours ago, number20 said:

1970 is still the best Lions team in my lifetime. They were a legit Super Bowl team, and honestly should've won it that year. That Dallas game was just.... weird. I have no words.

Cardinals-Lions game joined around the 9:30 mark. Pretty nice quality for 1970 - light years ahead of '68 World Series broadcasts. Good wide shots of Tiger Stadium.

1-hour season recap:

The 5-0 playoff game. The Lions goalline stand followed by a safety a few plays later is around the 2h 8min mark.

Edited by lordstanley

I mean I didn't think the O line looked bad before but I just didnt feel they looked as dominant as some of the metrics and people would say about them.... until last week.

To me that was a truly dominant performance in all aspects up front and if they are going to play like that now that they are all healthy then this offense is going to be hard to stop despite the boat anchor Ben Johnson at offensive coordinator.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know why but I always love it when teams acknowledge kickers/punters so it was cool to see Riley get the game ball. I think I just feel kinda bad for them cause it feels like they only get noticed when they screw up so it makes me smile when they get recognition from the team when they do well. 

You have to admit, kicking a football through goalposts is one of the weirdest things about football. I kind of agree with Larry David on this. It's sort a of side act that has nothing to do with the game on the field. You have these highly skilled, freak athletes fighting their way toward an end zone against other freak athletes trying to stop them. If they get close enough but can't put it in...  then it's like bringing out a chimpanzee - who's not an athlete but is on the team to do one thing: cartwheel through a hoop. If the chimp cartwheels through the hoop successfully, it can decide the game. That's about how much sense it makes

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:36 PM, Sports_Freak said:

I never typed until I got a PC. So I single space. I started following the Lions when Joe Schmidt was coach. I remember watching Dempsey kick that 63 yard field goal in New Orleans and the Lions 5-0 playoff loss to the Cowboys. The start of the SOL era.

I was a lit major in the days before word processors...loved my old Facit manual typewriter.

The 1970 Lions were really good...as was the 1991 team

9 hours ago, number20 said:

You have to admit, kicking a football through goalposts is one of the weirdest things about football. I kind of agree with Larry David on this. It's sort a of side act that has nothing to do with the game on the field. You have these highly skilled, freak athletes fighting their way toward an end zone against other freak athletes trying to stop them. If they get close enough but can't put it in...  then it's like bringing out a chimpanzee - who's not an athlete but is on the team to do one thing: cartwheel through a hoop. If the chimp cartwheels through the hoop successfully, it can decide the game. That's about how much sense it makes

Kinda on the subject but one of my favorite "kickers are people too" moments was with Pat Mcafee and this ex NFfLer who's name foresakens me. 

The former player was kinda giving friendly jabs to Pat about how punters aren't football players to which Pat responded with something like "In my NFL career I thrown a TD pass, caught a TD pass, rushed for a first down, made TD saving tackles, kicked field goals,  kicked off and punted, have you done all those things?" Of course the guy had no response, total 'drop the mic' moment. 

He’s a pro football coach in his prime.   I can’t see him being interested in the college game and all of the bs that doesn’t have to do with coaching ball.  Doesn’t seem like a fit at this point of his career. 

The money would be nice. I don’t think it would be double but they don’t have state tax in Texas, so maybe.  Either way the Lions will be giving him a healthy raise very soon.  

Im almost positive he is staying but hypothetically if they made him a Godfather offer to go there would we get any sorta compensation since he is under contract to us?

I know if it was an NFL team we would like Denver had to with Payton and the Bucs did with Gruden years ago but wasn't sure about with college teams. Like would we get rewarded picks like you would if a FA left? Not like that would make up for losing him just overall curious about what would happen.

Just a WAG but...

I'm going to guess chasing National Championship's are not on DC's radar... And A&M is not really even in that picture so that's a monumental risk right there.

Chasing Vince Lombardi Trophies are on his immediate radar, just a guess...

Sheila will make the money right, and I think DC will be cool about what the right numbers are... I ain't worried about that.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You know who the Lions can hire then if A&M does get Campbell to leave . . .

image.thumb.png.5617f3765e211006f5389d093e5fd696.png

dan campbell's not going anywhere.  there are very very few coaches who would leave the pros for a college job.  

harbaugh is his own kind of nut.

maybe mike vrabel for osu?  i dont know.

12 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You know who the Lions can hire then if A&M does get Campbell to leave . . .

image.thumb.png.5617f3765e211006f5389d093e5fd696.png

I know you’re joking but he’s not a culture fit.  The Lions are on record about wanting quality people that do things the right way.   That is not Slippin’ Jimmy 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I know you’re joking but he’s not a culture fit.  The Lions are on record about wanting quality people that do things the right way.   That is not Slippin’ Jimmy 

Yeah, all indications are he does whatever he wants and if you call him on it he gets aggresive. See cheesburger incident.

Edited by Tigeraholic1