Dem implosion

ewsieg

37 minutes ago, oblong said:

One reason presidents lose house seats is their coattails. When that person doesn’t have the president at the top of the ticket they miss out 

Did Biden have coattails?  There also redistricting to consider.  And a different landscape. We are personality driven and with Trump in the picture Im not sure conventional wisdom applies. 

To the extent that there have been any positives for the Ds, its that the Rs, with the exception of North Carolina, have thus far been less aggressive than expected in redistricting. But we'll see on that front... will Ohio's gerrymandering stand up in court, how aggressive is New York with their maps, etc?

While I totally do always vote for the democrat even though I'm way to the left of them, I don't think it's incumbent upon voters to do that, it's a choice I make for my vote.   I think the notion that voters need to suck it up and vote for the democrat on the ballot isn't a winning proposition for democrats.    

I guess I wonder why we don't try to save democracy with a exciting candidate

Edited by pfife
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

No he'll just suppress the vote and start rolling back rights like abortion. 

You know that stuffed sweater vest was so exciting. 

if your twitter feed says so.

and "rolling back abortion rights" has nothing to do with saving democracy.  

1 minute ago, buddha said:

if your twitter feed says so.

and "rolling back abortion rights" has nothing to do with saving democracy.  

Texas, Georgia and just about every state with a Republican governor has signed into law voter suppression laws. Michigan has a voter suppression bill ready to go. They just need a Republican governor to sign it. Your naivety is shocking. We have seen Republicans across the country work to suppress the vote. Even in Montana a state that Trump won by double digits.  

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

glenn youngkin is not going to take away democracy in virginia.  

A Republican legislature in Virginia will.

A Republican legislature will give itself override authority to toss out the popular election in Virginia if they don't like the results. THAT would be the END of Democracy. Your vote would no longer count in Virginia if it could just be tossed out, at will. These types of laws have already passed into law in Georgia and Texas I believe. Thankfully, Republicans ONLY took over the Virginia House and Governorship, and not also the Senate.

What the above tells me is that 34% of Virginia Democrats don't give a flying fuck about our Democracy.

Asswipes.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

In Georgia, it's gone past the point of voter suppression to where the state is closer to being able to overturn the results of the election. That is the very definition of losing democracy. I'm sure when Brian Kemp was elected talk about overturning future elections was alarmist. 

This.

Our Democracy is under severe internal attack by the Fascist MF'ing Republican Party.

They are doing everything they possibly can to toss out the Constitution of the United States and replace it with a Fascist Dictatorship.

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

This.

Our Democracy is under severe internal attack by the Fascist MF'ing Republican Party.

They are doing everything they possibly can to toss out the Constitution of the United States and replace it with a Fascist Dictatorship.

And yet, Democrats still need someone exciting. Here's a few things I can assure would not have happened if the less exciting Hillary Clinton would have won: Three less conservative supreme court justices, thousands fewer dead people from COVID, no insurrection, and no gutting of federal agencies.

Maybe Trump wouldn't have as much influence. If he lost to an inferior candidate, do Republicans like Lindsey Graham turn Trump? Trump is just a carnival barker who lost to a weak candidate. Does McConnell try again to hold up a supreme court nomination? In the end, Hillary wasn't exciting. 

31 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

A Republican legislature in Virginia will.

A Republican legislature will give itself override authority to toss out the popular election in Virginia if they don't like the results. THAT would be the END of Democracy. Your vote would no longer count in Virginia if it could just be tossed out, at will. These types of laws have already passed into law in Georgia and Texas I believe. Thankfully, Republicans ONLY took over the Virginia House and Governorship, and not also the Senate.

What the above tells me is that 34% of Virginia Democrats don't give a flying fuck about our Democracy.

Asswipes.

The Virginia Senate is held by Dems at the moment. 

At least for the first two years, my money is on Youngkin being Bruce Rauner 2.0.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

glenn youngkin is not going to take away democracy in virginia.  

Its getting really tiring.

There are actual R politicians who worry me on this front, especially the ones where I live. 

Glenn Youngkin? Unless he wants to tank his party's chances in future elections in a state that Biden won by 11, he's gonna govern more like a Chris Sununu. It's still Virginia after all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Its getting really tiring.

There are actual R politicians who worry me on this front, especially the ones where I live. 

Glenn Youngkin? Unless he wants to tank his party's chances in future elections in a state that Biden won by 11, he's gonna govern more like a Chris Sununu. It's still Virginia after all

Did Greg Abbott worry you at first? 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why did Abbott worry you and not Youngkin? 

Because one was elected in a red state where the dominant political ideology is right wing, and the other was elected by less than 2 points in a state that leans blue and will be inheriting a split legislature?

The political incentives for Abbott and Youngkin aren't really comparable 

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Because one was elected in a red state where the dominant political ideology is right wing, and the other was elected by less than 2 points in a state that leans blue and will be inheriting a split legislature?

The political incentives for Abbott and Youngkin aren't really comparable 

What political incentive is there for Youngkin to be a moderate? He can't run for re-election so he starts his term as a lame duck. 

While Texas is right of Virginia, it's moving to the left and Abbott is increasingly doubling down on Trumpism despite the state's shifting politics. He's supporting legislation that is completely unpopular with the electorate because he can. I think you're being naïve if you don't think Youngkin and the Virginia Republicans are going to make a power grab. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

What political incentive is there for Youngkin to be a moderate? He can't run for re-election so he starts his term as a lame duck. 

Because he's a party man who would like his party to win more elections in a state that, result aside, is still tough for Rs to win these days.

Also, regarding the power grab comments, he still has a Dem Senate to deal with for (at least) the next two years. He's not gonna be "grabbing" much of anything during that time. 

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Because he's a party man who would like his party to win more elections in a state that, result aside, is still tough for Rs to win these days.

Also, regarding the power grab comments, he still has a Dem Senate to deal with for (at least) the next two years. He's not gonna be "grabbing" much of anything during that time. 

In case you haven't noticed, the party is Trump. The Republicans best chance at winning a tough state is to suppress the vote and Youngkin will do it at the very first opportunity. Hopefully Virginia has exciting Democratic senators and Democrats can be bothered to vote.