Dem implosion

ewsieg

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Here is the view from the rest of the world:  under the previous administration the control of your southern border was a humanitarian catastrophe.  The callousness and cruelty were beyond comprehension.

If you are even a casual observer of American history, you will realize that callousness and cruelty is the point.

12 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I think you had a GOP candidate that was able to shy away from Trump and still win the primary.  That is not going to be an everyday issue next year.  He ran against a guy that from a national standpoint, played the right calls and tried to make it a referendum on Trump, just didn't work as the candidate was able to shy away from Trump publicly.

That said, if Biden was able to get his infrastructure bill pushed through, and right now instead of the divide in the dem party, along with the hijacking of the infrasctructure bill, wasn't front and center in the news, but rather a passed bill that McAullife could point to as democrats making a difference and a united communications front on the BBB bill, explaining why each of the things that Sanders wants are good things, but they are being mindful of the costs and working to ensure only best will be put in, you'd have pulled from that center group and won the election.

This is about as close to accurate as is possible.

The only thing I would change is that if both BBB and Infrastructure had passed at least a month before the election then VA would not have been lost. It's as much about the bickering and non-passage of legislation as it is about a want list.

I am assuming your want list is Infrastructure and not necessarily BBB?

I do think there will be Dem midterm implosion if they don't get BBB, Infrastructure, and Voting Rights passed soon. They need to give their candidates red meat and ample time to campaign on a bold economic agenda and a list of accomplishments. I think Gottheimer and his gang of 3 or 4, Sinema and Manchin realize that finally and are coming around. I think once BBB and Infrastructure get passed and people slowly start to feel its effects over the next year the Biden and Dem approvals will rebound. I think it is going to be real hard for Republicans to run on repealing the Child Tax Credit, repealing lower prescription drug prices negotiated through Medicare, repealing penalties on drug companies who cheat their customers, etc.

BBB won't be the political grenade that Obamacare was because it is so broad, wide and sweeping and has more immediate effects on people's lives that the ACA did. Much of the ACA didn't go into effect until 2-3-4 years after it was passed, where as BBB has programs that will begin to have an immediate impact on people's overall quality of life. I feel once BBB passes, as long as it isn't too watered down, and the coverage of Democratic in fighting stops, we'll be doing better.

I do think the remaining items on the table that could hurt Dems are inflation and woke culture around policing. Inflation is obvious, prices are up, people feel squeezed financially, and the President and Dems in Congress get the blame. Defund is obviously different.

I have finally come around to the idea that "Defund the Police" has far more negative effects to the Democratic brand than I previously thought. Where I live we had an election this year. For some anecdotal evidence, all the candidates who won are either Dem or Independent/Dem-leaning. All of the winning candidates were endorsed by the Police Department and the PD sent a mailer out to voters homes touting the candidates they endorsed when absentee ballots were mailed out. 3 of the 4 who won were also endorsed by the Fire Department and they sent a mailer out about it. Yes, people will except things like hiring a Social Worker to deal with domestic/family-related issues, they will except drug-addicted persons getting rehab instead of jail time, or having a Citizen Review Board to have greater police accountability. But public safety is still king among the issues and people want well funded police departments that are capable of producing quick response times when they call 911 for an emergency situation. They will not accept rhetoric about defunding or abolishing police. Even if the defund movements goal is largely to shift more money into public education, public and mental health, and not end policing as we know it, the average person doesn't processes "defund the police" that way. They hear that phrase and think no one is showing up when I call 911.

I dislike Bill Clinton and James Carville, but I do believe they are still right in that "It's the Economy Stupid" and if Democrats stay away from rhetoric around wokeness that people feel controls their speech and defunding police departments and instead focus on a bold economic agenda that's in BBB, they will be able to be more successful in 2022.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

We didn't put your children in cages, and force separations of families which are still in effect.  That comparison is just silly.  You are comparing the nightmare of your southern border to casual tourists being denied entry into Canada. 

We have torrents of illegal immigrants here, people from third world countries who arrive in New York and make their way to the border, walking across from Vermont to Quebec.  We have to accomodate them humanely and let the legal system adjudicate their refugee claims.  

That's one of the few good things Obama did.  You can't roll out the red carpet like the current administration has done or there will be over 2 million legal invaders coming in like we have this year.

2 hours ago, Archie said:

If the other countries were so concerned they could have shipped these people from Mexico to their country.  In the US we have laws that include how non-citzens are to enter the country. These laws are in place for a reason and should be followed. I and other American citizen pay taxes. Although I don't have a say in it  I don't want my money going to other countries or their citizens for aid until every American is taken care of first.  I also don't care what any other country thinks of us. We are the greatest country in the world with the greatest fighting forces. These other countries only want our money and our services.  

Did other countries have issue with Canada when they closed the border to the US? How inhumane it was to let us die of covid in the US!

Trump unconstitutionally funded his wall when Congress has the power of the purse and refused to do so.   Your selective application of "laws should be followed" is quite telling.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This is about as close to accurate as is possible.

The only thing I would change is that if both BBB and Infrastructure had passed at least a month before the election then VA would not have been lost. It's as much about the bickering and non-passage of legislation as it is about a want list.

I am assuming your want list is Infrastructure and not necessarily BBB?

Infrastructure is a must, in fact, it's not big enough IMO.  I don't even care about 'paying for it'.  It's an investment in the country.  The BBB, I'm much more lax on spending than I have been in the past.  There are some things, that by themselves, I can understand why they are being called infrastructure.  But as a whole, just looks like a giant wish list.  Add in the fact that i'm not hearing much about how to pay for it and how some of the programs might only be set for a certain amount of years, with congress needing to take action in the future on those.... that's dangerous territory to me.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't Democrats give Trump billions for the wall and then he reneged because Ann Coulter threatened his manhood? 

They gave him $25 Billion (PS: that was a BI-PARTISAN $25B because Republicans were all for it, and Dems agreed) and Trump turned it down because Steven Miller told him to. Oh yeah, it helped out 250,000 "Dreamers" so fuck them, right Coulter & Miller and your ilk? But... oh wait, that means no $25 Billion for "The Wall" because 250K Dreamers...

Makes perfect white trash bigoted sense, doesn't it?

Edited by 1984Echoes

25 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Infrastructure is a must, in fact, it's not big enough IMO.  I don't even care about 'paying for it'.  It's an investment in the country.  The BBB, I'm much more lax on spending than I have been in the past.  There are some things, that by themselves, I can understand why they are being called infrastructure.  But as a whole, just looks like a giant wish list.  Add in the fact that i'm not hearing much about how to pay for it and how some of the programs might only be set for a certain amount of years, with congress needing to take action in the future on those.... that's dangerous territory to me.

Biden said not to worry about the cost. In his whispering voice he said it didn't cost anything.  It will be free. 

21 minutes ago, Archie said:

Obama admin built the cages. It was continued under Trump admin. 

OK.  So, it seems like what we are saying is that Obama controlled the border and in fact carried out more deportations than Trump did, but did so without the brutal, barbaric tactics that Trump used, that attracted international outrage.  That being the case, shouldn't we amend your original statement so that it would read that the current administration should admit that the border was managed better under Obama?

36 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

OK.  So, it seems like what we are saying is that Obama controlled the border and in fact carried out more deportations than Trump did, but did so without the brutal, barbaric tactics that Trump used, that attracted international outrage.  That being the case, shouldn't we amend your original statement so that it would read that the current administration should admit that the border was managed better under Obama?

Obama did better on the border than Biden and Trump did better than both of them.  So far Biden has been a failure in everything.  I take no pride in that because if he fails then we fail as a country.  We are failing.  As I mentioned in another post, I hope the elections this week will be a wake up call.  Spending trillion plus dollars on "human" infrastructure is a joke.  What the heck is human infrastructure anyway?  Its just another deception of the American people.  Then there is a faction of them that want to end the filibuster and change election laws so they can rig the system.  Hopefully someone in that group can right the ship and come to their senses.

If you live in Canada why would care about our border?  You don't have to deal with these people or have them dumped in your area in the middle of the night.  Are you an American Citizen?

5 hours ago, Archie said:

In the US we have laws that include how non-citzens are to enter the country. These laws are in place for a reason and should be followed.

What "laws?" There are no "laws." To my knowledge there is exactly one law. You are welcome to look it up.

Trump had both houses of Congress during the first two years of his presidency and could have easily changed the law. He chose not to do so.