12/26 @ 7PM Brooklyn Nets Vs Detroit Pistons

Tigeraholic1

And the thing is, where is the way out? They have no excess trade-able assets, and no accumulated draft capital. They really only have one conceivable path and that is a new coach who can completely break down the few young athletic players like Thompson, Duren and Ivey and teach them to how play the game they need to play in the NBA - which would probably also include the most intense shooting clinic in the history of the NBA. That coach is not Williams and the man to hire him is not Weaver.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

And the thing is, where is the way out? They have no excess trade-able assets, and no accumulated draft capital. They really only have one conceivable path and that is a new coach who can completely break down the few young athletic players like Thompson, Duren and Ivey and teach them to how play the game they need to play in the NBA - which would probably also include the most intense shooting clinic in the history of the NBA. That coach is not Williams and the man to hire him is not Weaver.

that's the big problem(s).

the obvious solution is to fire the coach.  he's been terrible and he isnt getting anything out of his players.  in any normal instance, he would be fired.  but gores isnt going to eat $80 million and monty isnt going to walk away from that (yet).  so were stuck.

the other problem is that they have no assets.  none.  not only do they not have any extra first round picks, they OWE a first round pick to the knicks for the isaiah stewart trade.  

weaver's tenure has been a disaster.  the only thing he's done right is take cade #1.  thats it.

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still contend the worst thing to happen to this franchise was trading Billups. It seems like that was when Dumars completely lost his marbles and the franchise was never the same. 

That was pretty bad but their championship window was closed anyway and it was time to move on. That doesn't hold a candle to a clueless dimwitted owner buying the team and sewering which was once a proud franchise.

A new GM could get a little creative  - like hire a set of assistants to do what needs to be done and tell Monty he can either get with the program or sit and watch. There is always a way if there is a will, few smarts and little strategic ego massaging. But the Piston aren't close on 1 and 2 yet.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There are none outside of trading core players. The 1st is on freeze for the sake of getting the pick to trade Isiah Stewart. Out of all the bad moves Weaver made, this one is the most damaging. The entire 2020 draft really.

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

A new GM could get a little creative  - like hire a set of assistants to do what needs to be done and tell Monty he can either get with the program or sit and watch. There is always a way if there is a will, few smarts and little strategic ego massaging. But the Piston aren't close on 1 and 2 yet.

It’s Gores so chances are any “new GM” would just end up being Eric Tellem getting promoted.  

21 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still contend the worst thing to happen to this franchise was trading Billups. It seems like that was when Dumars completely lost his marbles and the franchise was never the same. 

I'd say it was when he hired Flip. A regular season, jump-shooting coach for a defensive minded, playoff team. Square peg in a round hole. Ben left a year later and we all knew that team was going to put up some regular season numbers but would never make it back to the top of the mountain.

2 hours ago, Hart said:

I have grown skeptical of his overall talent/upside but you got to love everything else about him.  Hopefully he sticks around and doesn't bail on the franchise.  

He is one more made 3 per roughly 15 attempts  away from being a great player. Doesn't seem like much when you put it that way, but it's a mountain he's having trouble climbing. (OK maybe he needs a better handle as well.)

Edited by gehringer_2

14 hours ago, Hart said:

I have grown skeptical of his overall talent/upside but you got to love everything else about him.  Hopefully he sticks around and doesn't bail on the franchise.  

I think after peeling back the stench of the losing streak, you can see his game has been developing this season.  This game in particular was a significant data point.

13 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I read that Burks called his own number and the call was actually for Cade.

Burks was a train wreck in many, many ways this game.

Not that Monty doesn't have plenty of things to answer for as well.

Its been mentioned several times about Burks having a poor season.  The shooting numbers don't lie, career worst shooting percentages away from the stripe.

image.thumb.png.1e7a91f82f8d8868fbec0434e4bd9daa.png

Edit:  I don't expect much more than 18-20 minutes of decent shooting out of him, particularly at the arc, but it ain't happening.  Not even close.  I'm not sure he's tradable. 

Edited by casimir