NFC Divisional Round: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10-8) @ Detroit Lions (13-5)

19 minutes ago, buddha said:

baker and the bucs are playing a lot better than they did the last time they played the lions.  they whoopes the eagles and the lions scraped by the rams in a game they could have easily lost.  otoh, the eagles are hot garbage and the rams were on a roll...but still.

they also posses the lions' kryptonite: a deep threat at receiver.  a good one too.  i'm very afraid of mike evans against cam sutton and anyone against kindle vildor. 

just like with the rams game, i think the lions should win because they're playing at home.  the offense can control the game and keep mike evans off the field.  

but he's still very scary.  🙂

The Lions also didn't have their running backs against Tampa and no Gardner-Johnson.

Evans is going to torch the Lions secondary though, I think that's a given, but it's also Baker throwing to these receivers not Stafford so I have less of a fear factor for this game. 

My one concern about the Lions offense is that Tampa gets in on QBs very fast with their blitz so Goff might need to eat a sack or two instead of forcing it like he tends to do at times. Johnson is going to have to devise a gameplan to get the ball out of Goff's hands quickly, more screen plays, misdirections etc.

Edited by NYLion

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

The Lions also didn't have their running backs against Tampa and no Gardner-Johnson.

Evans is going to torch the Lions secondary though, I think that's a given, but it's also Baker throwing to these receivers not Stafford so I have less of a fear factor for this game. 

My one concern about the Lions offense is that Tampa gets in on QBs very fast with their blitz so Goff might need to eat a sack or two instead of forcing it like he tends to do at times. Johnson is going to have to devise a gameplan to get the ball out of Goff's hands quickly, more screen plays, misdirections etc.

The Lions also didn't have Brian Branch and Jonah Jackson in that game. It was also a road game. One good thing about this matchup is that Tampa is the worst at running the ball. The Lions can play more 3 safety looks and keep safeties over the top. They also don't motion a lot which the Lions struggle with. Tampa reminds me more of Denver. Minnesota ran a similar offense to the Rams since Kevin O'Connell was the OC with the Rams. I think Tampa's lack of motion and run game benefits the Lions. Tampa is also terrible in the red zone and the Lions looked pretty stout in the red zone. Goff did fine against Tampa's blitz just like he did against Minnesota and Denver who blitz a lot. 

I'll admit I am concerned with one other aspect of this game besides Mike Evans and the deep ball threat. The other concern I have is Tampa Bay's really good run defense. They have a run DVOA of -13.7% which ranks 8th in the NFL. They give up less than 100 yards per game on the ground as well which ranks 4th. I do worry they have the tools to slow down our running game and make Jared Goff one dimensional. Combine that with the fact that Todd Bowles likes to blitz a lot, although they don't rank high in total pressures or hurries, and I am concerned there. YaYa Diaby, Vita Vea, and Antione Winfeld Jr. are names to focus on for their defense.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'll admit I am concerned with one other aspect of this game besides Mike Evans and the deep ball threat. The other concern I have is Tampa Bay's really good run defense. They have a run DVOA of -13.7% which ranks 8th in the NFL. They give up less than 100 yards per game on the ground as well which ranks 4th. I do worry they have the tools to slow down our running game and make Jared Goff one dimensional. Combine that with the fact that Todd Bowles likes to blitz a lot, although they don't rank high in total pressures or hurries, and I am concerned there. YaYa Diaby, Vita Vea, and Antione Winfeld Jr. are names to focus on for their defense.

The Vikings also were good against the run and blitzed a lot and the Lions hung 30 on them in back to back games. The Rams defense also isn't far behind Tampa in run defense. Tampa actually gives up more passing yards per game than the Lions. We already saw Goff carve up this defense. He's good against the blitz. The blitz needs to get home. 

21 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Here is the Rams defender going at Laporta's knees. They already know he has a bad knee. The defender also has the sideline. He doesn't need to take Laporta to the ground. This isn't an open field tackle attempt. He just needs to bump him out of bounds. Instead, he dives for the knee. 

It is the same attempt, but Kerby needs to stop it.    Just because the other guys did it doesn't mean it's cool. 

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’m curious to see what Houston brings to the table. It’s probably not fair to expect him to come out and be in mid-2022 season form. I’d still expect him out there on some 3rd and longs and special teams, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his snap count is in the single digits.

I was wondering that myself. I almost think they waited so long as they were putting him through a ton of "game" type work to get him ready. I expect to see him get double digit reps if nothing more than to pull double teams of of Hutch.

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It is the same attempt, but Kerby needs to stop it.    Just because the other guys did it doesn't mean it's cool. 

No, it's how defensive backs are taught to tackle much larger opponents, tackle them higher and they shed you or carry you for ten yards.

Yep you even go waist level on a guy that weighs 50lb more than you like the TE did theres a good chance he runs you over or drags you for 5 to 10 extra yards. Then everybody bitches about your tackling ability.

If you go high to try to lodge the ball loose or "knock him silly" youre likely looking at a penalty there. Your best option is to go low at his knees cause no matter how big you are that will always trip you up. 

Unfortunately you run the risk of the opponents leg being extended like Higbees was but its a bang bang play you can't try to time for something like that it just is an unfortunate circumstance when it happens.

Edited by RandyMarsh

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep you even go waist level on a guy that weighs 50lb more than you like the TE did theres a good chance he runs you over or drags you for 5 to 10 extra yards. Then everybody bitches about your tackling ability.

If you go high to try to lodge the ball loose or "knock him silly" youre likely looking at a penalty there. Your best option is to go low at his knees cause no matter how big you are that will always trip you up. 

Unfortunately you run the risk of the opponents leg being extended like Higbees was but its a bang bang play you can't try to time for something like that it just is an unfortunate circumstance when it happens.

Another factor is the sticky nature of artificial turf.