3/30/24 2:10PM EDT Detroit Tigers @ Chicago

Looking at the box score and what stands out to me is that while the Tigers struck out twice in the 10th, in the first 9 innings they only struck out once in 43 plate appearances. In this day and age that is remarkable and borderline unheard of!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Did Lange have to face three if he started the inning?

A rule I take as ironclad for a manager is never give the reliever the opportunity to load the bases.

To start an inning, I would say yes, he has to face 3 hitters. But if a reliever comes in for the final hitter, he doesn't need to start the next inning, does he?

12 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

To start an inning, I would say yes, he has to face 3 hitters. But if a reliever comes in for the final hitter, he doesn't need to start the next inning, does he?

no - I'm pretty sure there is no inning roll over requirement. You can face less than three when you finish an inning.

45 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

BTW I was only following on gameday but did the announcers give any reason why Foley wasn't used in the 10th? Was he unavailable or something?

In the post game Hinch said that with the runner at second he thought the risk of a ground ball single with Foley was a greater  than Miller's likelihood of getting swing and miss/pop fly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

My question was actually misdirected anyway, Lange had already faced three batters before he gave up the third walk - he had K'd Moncada.

If this is true then I guess I’m ok with it. But for gods sake it’s not “great” pizza. I don’t think anybody even within the company would claim that. Tork needs to go on an adventure next off day in Detroit. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1