3/31/24 2:10PM EDT Tigers @ White Sox

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

They have 3 night games scheduled in New York? In early April? And it's going to rain all 3 days. Some real thinking went into that schedule making. Real geniuses. 

Mets are going to be testy after Brewers and Hoskins swept them. Should at least get Monday's game in.

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Mets are going to be testy after Brewers and Hoskins swept them. Should at least get Monday's game in.

With this being an interleague series and with it being the beginning of the year, I'd be surprised if they didn't try to get at least two games in.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

When I hear the word “New York“ I think of the Yankees and reach for my revolver. My mistake. It’s a reflex. 

The Yankees (4-0) and the Tigers (3-0) are the only remaining undefeated teams in the American League. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

With this being an interleague series and with it being the beginning of the year, I'd be surprised if they didn't try to get at least two games in.

I hope they do. That would give our ace the home opener against the A's.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

It's one series, and the Jerk Sox aren't exactly prime cut in their current iteration, but there's a lot to like about this team on the pitching side. The league is sleeping on them, I'd go as far as to say. And despite their flaws, AJ has enough tools at his disposal to play matchups like he would like probably for the first time as manager, on both sides.

But they are going to have to score more runs this season than in years past in order to really compete for this division.... they probably will to an extent, but at least in this series, there's reason for concern. But it's still really early.

It's the million dollar question with this club... can they manage to be around, or at least within shouting distance, of league average offensively? Or be close enough to first place in the division to make deals to fix that flaw? It'll be interesting to see, but I like the overall direction they are going in a lot.

I think the new administration is doing everything they can to save some of the hitters they inherited, and they may succeed with some yet. But others will either have been so ruined coming in that they are unsalvageable, or never did have the required skills to become effective big league hitters in the first place. I think most of the latter category have probably been cut loose, although there might be some who they're hanging onto just to make extra sure that can't be saved before launching them.

Because hitting in general appears to be lagging behind pitching throughout the league, in terms of advances in proficiency due to the application of data science and the like, it might be a bit longer before this organization can have successes with our hitters that are on par with those of our pitchers that we have already seen. But I'm not ready to pull the plug on hoping we can do so. I'm willing to give this regime even a couple more years to get it right. But if we are still struggling with optimizing hitters going into 2026—particularly those that this front office acquired as prospects and through impact trades, as opposed to waiver wire pickups and low-level deck chair trades and MiLB contract signings—that's when I'll start to worry.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the new administration is doing everything they can to save some of the hitters they inherited, and they may succeed with some yet. But others will either have been so ruined coming in that they are unsalvageable, or never did have the required skills to become effective big league hitters in the first place. I think most of the latter category have probably been cut loose, although there might be some who they're hanging onto just to make extra sure that can't be saved before launching them.

Because hitting in general appears to be lagging behind pitching throughout the league, in terms of advances in proficiency due to the application of data science and the like, it might be a bit longer before this organization can have successes with our hitters that are on par with those of our pitchers that we have already seen. But I'm not ready to pull the plug on hoping we can do so. I'm willing to give this regime even a couple more years to get it right. But if we are still struggling with optimizing hitters going into 2026—particularly those that this front office acquired as prospects and through impact trades, as opposed to waiver wire pickups and low-level deck chair trades and MiLB contract signings—that's when I'll start to worry.

I have total confidence in the org and in what they are doing, it's a long road back to respectability and competence in that phase of the game

At least the situation is more interesting than what we are accustomed to. Because the best case scenario isn't being 79-83, it is a legit chance at the division, as weak as the AL Central is. Curious to see how it all plays out.

6 hours ago, casimir said:

I hate that BB/SO ratio and BB% and SO% on their own.

On the other hand, when bat does meet ball, at $20M for a few seasons with $2M buyouts if something does go awry?

multiple times he's taken a very lacadaisacal attitude toward fielding or running the bases.  he's been "hurt" multiple times when he's been spotted out late night in chicago.

that could be a function of the dystunctional white sox clubhouse and hanging out with the ultimate "i'm hurt and cant play but i'm going to go out and party" player yoan moncada.  the white sox have a clubhouse issue between their american players and their spanish speaking players.  if you take on robert, you have to figure out how to incorporate him in your positive culture.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

It's one series, and the Jerk Sox aren't exactly prime cut in their current iteration, but there's a lot to like about this team on the pitching side. The league is sleeping on them, I'd go as far as to say. And despite their flaws, AJ has enough tools at his disposal to play matchups like he would like probably for the first time as manager, on both sides.

But they are going to have to score more runs this season than in years past in order to really compete for this division.... they probably will to an extent, but at least in this series, there's reason for concern. But it's still really early.

It's the million dollar question with this club... can they manage to be around, or at least within shouting distance, of league average offensively? Or be close enough to first place in the division to make deals to fix that flaw? It'll be interesting to see, but I like the overall direction they are going in a lot.

This was a fun series to see Hinch playing matchups and using the bench.  All position players besides Kelly played two of the three games.  He was quick enough to pull Lange out from a complete disaster, and has deployed the bullpen very well.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it’s only 3 games against the Jerk Sox.  But it was a sweep.  Can’t do much better than that.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

hinch is a really good manager.

There’s also an element of good fortune at play as well, and that’s fine.  The bullpen not named Lange was been lights out save for a solo home run.  12 2/3 IP and only 4 hits and 4 walks (3 from Lange) vs 14 strikeouts?  That won’t last, but at the same time, Hinch has not been afraid to paint outside the lines and with different numbers a bit.  Multiple innings, there isn’t an obvious traditional closer right now.

A 3-0 start on now on to the New York Mess.  I’m pretty sure the Pistons just won their 3rd game of the season not that long ago and they are a mess.  This paragraph is full circle onto itself.  You’re welcome.

Huzzah, Morans!  Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wire to wire, Baby!

Sure, the pitching was pretty good this weekend, but if Skubal or Flaherty had gone into Chicago and no-hit the White Sox the opening week of the season then I would have become a true believer.

5 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

They have 3 night games scheduled in New York? In early April? And it's going to rain all 3 days. Some real thinking went into that schedule making. Real geniuses. 

Our weather has been wacky here for the last three months

Says it's gonna rain and it's sunny, says sprinkle and it 9 inches. Says sunny and it's out of nowhere wind.

eloy jimenez waited until game 3 to get hurt "running" to first base.

moncada fouled a ball of his shin and will probably be out for a month now.

give it 3 more days until robert gets a cold that keeps him out for two weeks.

gotta love the sox falling apart 3 games into the season.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

eloy jimenez waited until game 3 to get hurt "running" to first base.

moncada fouled a ball of his shin and will probably be out for a month now.

give it 3 more days until robert gets a cold that keeps him out for two weeks.

gotta love the sox falling apart 3 games into the season.

If those guys could stay healthy, the first five in the lineup are respectable enough.... but man, 6-9 looks like tough sledding there. Shewmake had a nice series, I guess, but not exactly world beaters.

Benetti and CMo in the first game talking about Kevin Pillar when he showed up in the dish (sounding like they didn't realize he was still in the league) gave me some serious "Major League" vibes.

54 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

If those guys could stay healthy, the first five in the lineup are respectable enough.... but man, 6-9 looks like tough sledding there. Shewmake had a nice series, I guess, but not exactly world beaters.

Benetti and CMo in the first game talking about Kevin Pillar when he showed up in the dish (sounding like they didn't realize he was still in the league) gave me some serious "Major League" vibes.

the white sox are currently focused on extorting a few billion from the city/state to build them a new ballpark.  they dont expect much from the on-field product right now.

they got a haul for adam eaton, chris sale, and jose quintana: giolito, moncada, cease, kopech, and jimenez all came over in those deals.  add that to tim anderson and luis robert and they thought they were set.  but covid ruined their best season and they decided to hire tony larussa instead of aj hinch and they ended up with no playoff victories to show for it.

now anderson is a shell of himself, cease was traded, giolito regressed mightily, kopech cant start, and moncada, robert, and jimenez cant play full seasons.  moreover, the clubhouse is toxic and split because of guys who try hard during the game, and guys who try hard at the clubs after the game despite being on the iniured list.

they wrecked their window.

man, you just hate to see it.  🙂

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

the white sox are currently focused on extorting a few billion from the city/state to build them a new ballpark.  they dont expect much from the on-field product right now.

they got a haul for adam eaton, chris sale, and jose quintana: giolito, moncada, cease, kopech, and jimenez all came over in those deals.  add that to tim anderson and luis robert and they thought they were set.  but covid ruined their best season and they decided to hire tony larussa instead of aj hinch and they ended up with no playoff victories to show for it.

now anderson is a shell of himself, cease was traded, giolito regressed mightily, kopech cant start, and moncada, robert, and jimenez cant play full seasons.  moreover, the clubhouse is toxic and split because of guys who try hard during the game, and guys who try hard at the clubs after the game despite being on the iniured list.

they wrecked their window.

man, you just hate to see it.  🙂

I caught a little of ESPN 1000 this morning and, boy oh boy, I can understand why you enjoy it when they suck lol

• Like 1