4/12/24 6:40PM Twins @ Tigers

Either the years of substandard coaching in the minors screwed up Parker Meadows, or he wasn’t all that good a hitter when we drafted him. Either way, it’s not as though he was a kickass hitter all through the minors, so it probably shouldn’t be a surprise when he has an execrable stretch in the majors. Fingers crossed we get him straightened up and hitting lasers somehow; otherwise, we may have to tamp down our hopes for him on that side of the ball.

33 minutes ago, casimir said:

Regarding Meadows, yes, he’s definitely in an offensive funk.  It’s extremely noticeable in the numbers because it’s still early in the season.  Is it as damning if he’d have had a reasonable April and May with this slump occurring in June?

And the defense isn’t going to slump.  There may be some merit to the fact that Greene can “relax” in a corner OF spot and maybe not tax his body so much if he ere in CF.

I think the plan might be to play Greene in whichever corner is the bigger, based on which stadium we play in.

• Like 1

I think Meadows' defense matters, but the hitting matters as well. There's an inflection point where the lack of hitting outweighs the defense and, small sample size caveat applies here, it's currently outweighing the defense.

He'll probably get more runway, but things are going to have to turn around because they just aren't going to tolerate the status quo forever. 

24 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I think Meadows' defense matters, but the hitting matters as well. There's an inflection point where the lack of hitting outweighs the defense and, small sample size caveat applies here, it's currently outweighing the defense.

He'll probably get more runway, but things are going to have to turn around because they just aren't going to tolerate the status quo forever. 

It's one thing if you're a defense-first outfielder on a team with a dynamic offense (see Milt Cuyler).  It's another thing if you're a defense-first outfielder on a team that struggles to score runs (see Kimera Bartee)

8 runs and they only struck out 15 times to do it. I guess it is what it is. I don’t know what to do about it. Maybe an Abe Vigoda look-alike should walk in and announce that “Javier Baez sleeps with the fishes” and see if that rights the ship. 

56 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

8 runs and they only struck out 15 times to do it. I guess it is what it is. 

Look on the bright side. That's 0.53 R/K. Last season they finished at 0.45 R/K. If they just keep up this pace, they'll score around 120 more runs this season than last!

image.png.15d39053d4403e6b77b368d668423b37.png

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:

9 hours ago, TJ Rollercoaster said:

It's one thing if you're a defense-first outfielder on a team with a dynamic offense (see Milt Cuyler).  It's another thing if you're a defense-first outfielder on a team that struggles to score runs (see Kimera Bartee)

There's part of the conundrum for me.  If the team offense is good, there's no worries about Baez and Meadows at the bottom of the order because 1-7 are getting it done.  That's not the case here.  Baez isn't going anywhere.  Meadows has options.

But do the Tigers have options?  Sure, they could swap Baddoo in for Meadows, they could cover CF with Greene/Vierling.  I suppose that's worth a try if this malaise continues.  That gives Baddoo a final shot at MLB with the Tigers and allows Meadows time to sort things out in AAA.

It is kind of interesting, I thought the majority pulse of this place was Meadows was the starting CF, no questions asked.  Two weeks into the season, and that changes (and I'm not calling either of you two or anyone else out specifically)?

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think the plan might be to play Greene in whichever corner is the bigger, based on which stadium we play in.

That makes sense given Carpenter/Canha as the 3rd OF.  Neither of that duo is entrenched as a specific corner OF above the other corner OF.

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

It is kind of interesting, I thought the majority pulse of this place was Meadows was the starting CF, no questions asked.  Two weeks into the season, and that changes (and I'm not calling either of you two or anyone else out specifically)?

I can't speak for the majority because I've always been a little bit concerned that this could happen with regard to Meadows.

It doesn't mean that it cannot be fixed or that he is doomed to failure, but Meadows struggling was always a possible outcome here. He'll get more runway, but it's not gonna last forever

23 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I can't speak for the majority because I've always been a little bit concerned that this could happen with regard to Meadows.

It doesn't mean that it cannot be fixed or that he is doomed to failure, but Meadows struggling was always a possible outcome here. He'll get more runway, but it's not gonna last forever

Of course the slump now has always been a possibility.  I'm fine with allowing more time in Detroit.  How long that lasts is up for debate.  And the flip side of the transaction is something that I have not seen much suggestion for.

If you have to demote Meadows, you can always cover CF with some combination of Greene, Vierling and Wenceel.  That would allow for Malloy to play LF and DH. 

Maybe Meadows gets another week or so, but he looks so lost that he probably has a very short leash.

If there is one thing that I think maybe the Tigers over do, it's preaching about looking for pitches to drive. My take has always been that too many Tigers take too many 1st pitch strikes because they aren't perfect pitches to drive, but then get themselves behind in the count and become easy outs. Sometimes you have to give the pitcher a little credit. If he is painting the corners maybe you aren't going to get a pitch you love and so you can't take him deep but that doesn't mean you can't shorten up and put a ball that's going to be a called strike in play instead of taking the eventual K.

I would stick with meadows and maybe platoon him a little bit for awhile but he needs o play most days. We lead the league in defense because of our outfield of Greene-Meadows-Verling left to right and I would have them there 90 % of the games.  But that won't happen because Hinch loves moving players around. 

3 hours ago, casimir said:

... I thought the majority pulse of this place was Meadows was the starting CF, no questions asked...

I thought prior to Spring Training it was "his job to lose" because, while Baddoo was mostly dismissed, there was at least the thought that Meadows still had to prove he could hit in MLB, IIRC. And Baddoo, or Greene in CF, were the fallback options.

Whereas by the end of ST it was more like "OK, he's got this."

But my memory sucks so...

Aside from that... I mean... things change...

Here's an odd idea: The Org put Wenceel in the OF quite a bit last year in Toledo. Is Baddoo the fallback if Meadows needs some time in Toledo? Or Wenceel Perez?

Just a thought/ question.

26 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I thought prior to Spring Training it was "his job to lose" because, while Baddoo was mostly dismissed, there was at least the thought that Meadows still had to prove he could hit in MLB, IIRC. And Baddoo, or Greene in CF, were the fallback options.

Whereas by the end of ST it was more like "OK, he's got this."

But my memory sucks so...

Aside from that... I mean... things change...

Here's an odd idea: The Org put Wenceel in the OF quite a bit last year in Toledo. Is Baddoo the fallback if Meadows needs some time in Toledo? Or Wenceel Perez?

Just a thought/ question.

Maybe neither ?

38 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I would stick with meadows and maybe platoon him a little bit for awhile but he needs o play most days. We lead the league in defense because of our outfield of Greene-Meadows-Verling left to right and I would have them there 90 % of the games.  But that won't happen because Hinch loves moving players around. 

The other issue with that alignment is that one of Carpenter/Canha is on the bench.  Unfortunately the team offense isn’t in position to do that.

I mean Verling is a great centerfielder and if Meadows is out then he will play there. As for replacement it could be Mallory on the roster playing DH rather than Perez or Badoo. It's a weaker outfield defensively but maybe Mallory cn help the hitting ?

5 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I mean Verling is a great centerfielder and if Meadows is out then he will play there. As for replacement it could be Mallory on the roster playing DH rather than Perez or Badoo. It's a weaker outfield defensively but maybe Mallory cn help the hitting ?

Who do you drop from the 40 for Malloy?

15 hours ago, casimir said:

Who do you drop from the 40 for Malloy?

Buddy Kennedy maybe or you do something with Badoo..... at some point you have see what you have with Malloy 

Edited by Toddwert

4 hours ago, Toddwert said:

Buddy Kennedy maybe or you do something with Badoo..... at some point you have see what you have with Malloy 

Yeah, Kennedy probably isn’t anyone to worry about losing on waivers.  The problem right now are the health of Kreidler and Leonard.  Sure, they’re only at AAA, but it affects the MLB roster if something happens to one of the IF.

The other thing is it’s only mid April.  Of course these games count just as at any other point in the season, but it’s early.  My guess is they wait another week or two and then go from there.  But given the past few seasons, they can’t let the hitting malaise last too long.