4/16/24 1:10 PM Rangers @ Tigers

41 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

A great color guy should pick their spots to say something insightful and not be afraid to stay quiet if the situation warrants it.    Jim Price did this really well.   While Dan Petry and CMO are some of the worst offenders.  

It's like they have their back turned and not even watching the game. Endless talk of 40 and 20 years ago gets real old, real quick.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

McKinstry taketh away much more than he giveth 

Him busting it down the line prevented a Texas DP in the 8th. It ended up leading us to the winning rally. I have no problem with him, it's Canha that has destroyed multiple rallies so far this season.

37 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Him busting it down the line prevented a Texas DP in the 8th. It ended up leading us to the winning rally. I have no problem with him, it's Canha that has destroyed multiple rallies so far this season.

Canha has been one of their best offensive players so far.  McKinstry has contributed nothing.  Not hitting into a double play?  Is the bar that low now?

Edited by Tiger337

38 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Canha has been one of their best offensive players so far.  McKinstry has contributed nothing.  Not hitting into a double play?  Is the bar that low now?

Canha hitting into double plays with players in scoring position has directly cost us 2 victories. In another, he only didn't hit into one because of a misplay by an infielder. I guess Canha is usable, but not as a #2 hitter. He doesn't have very good plate discipline either.

I think Canha is one of their best hitters.  Grounding into double plays does not make someone a bad hitter.  Cabrera used to hit into a bunch of double plays every year.  Canha's weakness is that he contributes nothing defensively.  

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think Canha is one of their best hitters.  Grounding into double plays does not make someone a bad hitter.  Cabrera used to hit into a bunch of double plays every year.  Canha's weakness is that he contributes nothing defensively.  

When Canha wins a triple crown, I'll get off his case. I'm just not impressed with the guy at all, I think he's a phony.

12 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

When Canha wins a triple crown, I'll get off his case. I'm just not impressed with the guy at all, I think he's a phony.

Sure, Cabrera was an elite hitter for most of his career and Canha is just average, but it has nothing to do with double plays.  If one of Canha's double play balls went a couple feet to the right or left, then he would be clutch! 

Also, Canha is a better player now than Cabrera was the last 7 years.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I pulled up the all-time leaders in GIDP last night and the list was astoundingly amazing.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Canha hitting into double plays with players in scoring position has directly cost us 2 victories. In another, he only didn't hit into one because of a misplay by an infielder. I guess Canha is usable, but not as a #2 hitter. He doesn't have very good plate discipline either.

Each team gets 27 outs in a game. Laying all the blame on Canha is quite a stretch.

He has the best plate discipline on the team. Cherry picking a couple instances doesn't seem fair.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

McStinkey did hit into a double play but Simien bobbled the transfer otherwise its two. 

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

Each team gets 27 outs in a game. Laying all the blame on Canha is quite a stretch.

He has the best plate discipline on the team. Cherry picking a couple instances doesn't seem fair.

He doesn't belong in the 2 hole. 

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Canha hitting into double plays with players in scoring position has directly cost us ...

The solution is simple:

Lead him off instead.

I'm guessing Hinch is NOT doing that because he's slow on the base paths? 

Sometimes that's just gotta be ignored and putting a hitter where he best performs (Canha leading off, Greene batting 2nd) has to take precedence.

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The solution is simple:

Lead him off instead.

Sometimes that's just gotta be ignored and putting a hitter where he best performs (Canha leading off, Greene batting 2nd) has to take precedence.

Just my 2 cents...

For all the constant talk about it with Hinch for three years, the Tigers are not anything you would describe as a running team. As long as a guy can go 1st to 3rd he can hit anywhere in the Tigers lineup and his speed isn't going to matter.

14 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Numerical proof, please.

8 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The solution is simple:

Lead him off instead.

Just my 2 cents...

I think that might be the thing to do right now.  Add Carpenter in at 3rd, and then just figure it out from there.  I guess Torkelson 4th because he did kick into last year and hopefully he finds that groove again.  5th through 9th, go ahead and play the matchups or least cold bats or however.

16 hours ago, chasfh said:

What the ****, Javy Baez!

Carlos Peña: "Call the doctor, because that was SICK!"

That was a thing of beauty.  And then he followed that up with a walk after falling down into an 0-2 count.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Numerical proof, please.

Stats...no, he hit into a DP 4 games in a row, 2 in his last game. Minnesota misplayed his GB DP into a 2 run double that scored the trying run. The one that got me mad was the extra inning game, Tie game, 2 men on and nobody out. A 2-0 count, he had the pitcher on the ropes. He tried to pull a sinker, rolled it over and hit into one of his DPs. Horrible piece of hitting. And an extremely bad approach by your team's #2 hitter. They say they brought him in so the young hitters can learn by his approach. No wonder the team is struggling offensively. Yesterday, he had the day off? We won...

I think it's probably more like we simply don't have good hitters, than we do have really really good hitters learning bad habits from the new guy.

FWIW, Mark Canha has a grand total of three GIDPs, and he is the best qualified hitter on the team by wOBA (.366) and wRC+ (141).

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think it's probably more like we simply don't have good hitters, than we do have really really good hitters learning bad habits from the new guy.

Exactly. Mark Canha is performing about one would expect from him based on his career thus far (small sample size), the issue is that there are a lot of other guys on this club that aren't meeting expectations at the moment.

Canha has also been a pretty big factor in some of their wins as well... they don't win on Opening Day at Comerica without Mark Canha's homer for instance.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Stats...no, he hit into a DP 4 games in a row, 2 in his last game. Minnesota misplayed his GB DP into a 2 run double that scored the trying run. The one that got me mad was the extra inning game, Tie game, 2 men on and nobody out. A 2-0 count, he had the pitcher on the ropes. He tried to pull a sinker, rolled it over and hit into one of his DPs. Horrible piece of hitting. And an extremely bad approach by your team's #2 hitter. They say they brought him in so the young hitters can learn by his approach. No wonder the team is struggling offensively. Yesterday, he had the day off? We won...

That's interesting.  When I look at % of base runners to score on a batter's plate appearance, I see that Canha has scored 13.2% of his inherited base runners.  Its below the league average of 14.4%, but better than the Tigers' 11.9% as a whole.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2024-batting.shtml

image.thumb.png.e1a607c5e15fbd69941f36c77fe516a7.png

But we can go with your 4 game sample if you prefer to pick nits.