4/18/24 1:10PM Rangers @ Tigers

2 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Amazingly enough, the biggest positive take away from this game is if Javy can continue to layof that outside slider, he'll actually start to hit and contribute offensively.

and the worst take away is having to consider what to do with what is looking like like a $24M bad signing. Dirks noted that Kenta always starts poorly, but that's no comfort when your division is winnable and you are losing games in which you score 7.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, michiganbob2 said:

Not to downplay the bad defense / Urshela's stumble earlier.  He did stumble.  But it sure looked like Taveras tripped him. Quote possibly intentionally.  Anyone notice that?  

He may well have, but even if he did,  it was after Gio had already missed making the tag and over run the play.

Time for some changes somewhere.   Even if it's making Tork the DH.   I'd be much more comfortable with Canha there and KC has gotten better in the field (and far fewer chances to screw up the game in RF than 1b).     The flat-out booted the last two games.     Maybe if Tork is DH he can focus on hitting alone.   I don't know.   I wasn't giving up on him until this week - this has been brutal to watch.  

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and the worst take away is having to consider what to do with what is looking like like a $24M bad signing. Dirks noted that Kenta always starts poorly, but that's no comfort when your division is winnable and you are losing games in which you score 7.

He's tradable. Teams are always looking for pitching.

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

But it's not.   Too many self-inflicted injuries and that's not okay;

It's a flawed team with limited offense(by design). They need to win on the margins with pitching and defense until some of the offense shows itself. The margins stuff was bad today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Amazingly enough, the biggest positive take away from this game is if Javy can continue to layof that outside slider, he'll actually start to hit and contribute offensively.

And Lange coming in with bases loaded, one out. Striking out both hitters....I thought for sure he was going to give up a few hits and/or walks 

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He's tradable. Teams are always looking for pitching.

At 36 years old I don’t know how realistic it is, with his start, to find anyone willing to deal. 

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He never made sense for me on this team......this team seems full of rah-rah guys who are trying to do everything to get better  before the season and Kenta coming into said he hadnt touched a ball in the offseason... he just seems like old vet who's gonna do what he always does which doesnt really fit with this pitching lab team

1 minute ago, kdog said:

It's a flawed team with limited offense(by design). They need to win on the margins with pitching and defense until some of the offense shows itself. The margins stuff was bad today.

There are no moral victories in this sport, but if offensive performance is where the rubber meets the road for this team, we saw some decent signs in this game that hopefully carry forward.

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not saying that Kenta is pitching well or isn't of concern, because he is, but this isn't that uncommon of an outcome even for winning teams in this sport. The Cubs (likely an above .500 baseball team) lost a game 12-11 this week; the Yankees lost to the Guardians on Sunday 10-7, etc. And the Texas Rangers, even with their injuries, are still a really good offensive baseball team.... they are hard to keep down for an entire four game series.

But with Kenta, I just think there's a level of production that he's going to have to hit in order to maintain his position, even with his salary and other considerations. Especially if they hang around in this division for any length of time. Manning is too good of a pitcher and the options behind him (ie. Jobe) are lurking as well

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

He never made sense for me on this team......this team seems full of rah-rah guys who are trying to do everything to get better  before the season and Kenta coming into said he hadnt touched a ball in the offseason... he just seems like old vet who's gonna do what he always does which doesnt really fit with this pitching lab team

Pretty sure I heard he hardly ever touches a baseball in the off-season, so this wouldn’t be new or unknown among baseball insiders.

He makes sense for them because he can throw 150 innings and, outside of Skubal, who do they have that can reasonably be expected to do so this season?

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Time for some changes somewhere.   Even if it's making Tork the DH.   I'd be much more comfortable with Canha there and KC has gotten better in the field (and far fewer chances to screw up the game in RF than 1b).     The flat-out booted the last two games.     Maybe if Tork is DH he can focus on hitting alone.   I don't know.   I wasn't giving up on him until this week - this has been brutal to watch.  

They’re playing competitively in April.  Isn’t that a nice change?

Probably should’of kept Torkelson at 3B.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lange with the bases loaded? Hinch determined to shake it all out early.

Good for Lange to come through.  Give him credit for it.

I’ll also throw this in.  Lange throws hard and doesn’t know where it’s going, facing a rookie in a tight spot later in the game.  It’s a game of chicken.  Langford flinched.

9 minutes ago, casimir said:

Pretty sure I heard he hardly ever touches a baseball in the off-season, so this wouldn’t be new or unknown among baseball insiders.

He makes sense for them because he can throw 150 innings and, outside of Skubal, who do they have that can reasonably be expected to do so this season?

thats August and Septembers problem

4 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

What's his splits as leadoff compared to hitting in the 2-3 hole?

You're the one posting how awful he is despite all evidence. How about you provide the info to back up your own claim?