4/18/24 1:10PM Rangers @ Tigers

50 minutes ago, casimir said:

Good for Lange to come through.  Give him credit for it.

I’ll also throw this in.  Lange throws hard and doesn’t know where it’s going, facing a rookie in a tight spot later in the game.  It’s a game of chicken.  Langford flinched.

Yeah - when Lange closed out the inning so well you figured that was certainly evidence of enough good Karma that the Tigers couldn't lose this one.

51 minutes ago, KL2 said:

You're the one posting how awful he is despite all evidence. How about you provide the info to back up your own claim?

Can't really do a fair comparison because most of his leadoff plate appearances were during his rookie season and most of his batting second plate appearances were last year. Of course, his career stats look better batting second right now. He's one of the three best hitters on the team so he should be batting 1, 2 or 3.

They are 10-9 to start...I'm not even worried about the 'competition' in the division. They won't go anywhere until the young hitters figure it out. There are no sweeping changes to make. 

52 minutes ago, kdog said:

They are 10-9 to start...I'm not even worried about the 'competition' in the division. They won't go anywhere until the young hitters figure it out. There are no sweeping changes to make. 

This is the bottom line on April 18th. Quite a bit can happen between now and the end of the year and hopefully most of it’s positive. Having said that they need to add first base to their planning at least on some level. Tork has played first probably since he was 10 years old. He’s a DH. Take his negative defense away and he might have some value. Playing first base he has to hit 25 homers to be replacement level. 

Just a random observation I made and that is that as of now Alex Faedo is on pace to throw 130 innings this year for the Tigers. I just bring that up cause we all get fixated on guys starting vs. relieving but with starters going fewer and fewer innings a start if you're a multi inning reliever like a Faedo you can end up contributing damn close to what your average starter does nowadays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just a random observation I made and that is that as of now Alex Faedo is on pace to throw 130 innings this year for the Tigers. I just bring that up cause we all get fixated on guys starting vs. relieving but with starters going fewer and fewer innings a start if you're a multi inning reliever like a Faedo you can end up contributing damn close to what your average starter does nowadays.

For years, there used to be five guys trying to pitch 200 innings and everybody else pitching 75 innings max.  That never made sense to me.  You would think there would be another group which maximized their utility somewhere in the middle.  Now that starters are pitching fewerinnings, we might find more more long relievers going 100-120 innings.    

3 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I guess they bring up SGL and Manning and do some bullpen days

Gipson-Long has a bum arm already, Manning could already be called up for someone else, and it’s time this organization grows up and out of bullpen days.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I like it.  I’m tired of the single inning relievers.  I think Faedo and Holton can eat up a few more innings out of the pen to alleviate the workload on the rotation.  I’d be comfortable with either going through a lineup once.  I think we might also see Chafin and Foley go for more than 3 outs with some frequency.  The Tigers seem to have a way with pitching.  It’ll bite them once in a while, but there’s no perfect method.

13 hours ago, casimir said:

They’re playing competitively in April.  Isn’t that a nice change?

Probably should’of kept Torkelson at 3B.

We may be playing competitively in the sense that we are hanging around in games, but we are 5-10 in our last 15, so, that definitely looks a lot like prior Aprils.

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

For years, there used to be five guys trying to pitch 200 innings and everybody else pitching 75 innings max.  That never made sense to me.  You would think there would be another group which maximized their utility somewhere in the middle.  Now that starters are pitching fewerinnings, we might find more more long relievers going 100-120 innings.    

I think it’s more likely we are going to see more pitchers coming up (i.e., Next Man Up) then current relievers pitching more.

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We may be playing competitively in the sense that we are hanging around in games, but we are 5-10 in our last 15, so, that definitely looks a lot like prior Aprils.

5-10 stinks, no doubt.  Competitive baseball games in April is an improvement.

Now, if they could just go back to catching and throwing the ball properly.....

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

5-10 stinks, no doubt.  Competitive baseball games in April is an improvement.

Now, if they could just go back to catching and throwing the ball properly.....

I’m sorry, there’s no way a10-9 team can be 5-10 in their last 15. 💀

So, 5-9 in their last 14, and 4-8 in their last 12.

50 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think it’s more likely we are going to see more pitchers coming up (i.e., Next Man Up) then current relievers pitching more.

Maybe, but I think it's eventually going to get to the point where there are not enough MLB quality pitchers to cover all the innings.  

53 minutes ago, chasfh said:

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Maybe, but I think it's eventually going to get to the point where there are not enough MLB quality pitchers to cover all the innings.  

Unfortunately this is what pitching as a whole has devolved to.  Max effort/velocity/torque on more throws per game than before, shorter outings, use more throwers over the course of a season.

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Maybe they will just push the quality down until we get used to it. 🤷‍♂️