4/18/24 1:10PM Rangers @ Tigers

1 hour ago, oblong said:

that's the first row in the upper deck today.

Those pillars seem more annoying now than back then.  But, damn, those orange seats right behind the dish had to have been awesome to sit in.  Everything laid out right in front of you, close proximity to the field, a little leverage above the field.  If you could hear Ernie, too?  Those seats had to have been good living.

Edited by casimir

I remember almost catching my first foul ball sitting in the front row on the first base side looking down the third base line. I could have spit on the home plate umpire from there. RHB hit a beeline right to me. Just as I was about to get my hands on it, a buddy of mine, who I treated to the game with tickets I got from my dad's work, reached over and snagged the ball from in front of me, then had the gall to giggle and laugh and say look dude I caught a ball! I mean, technically, it was fair game, I guess. But we didn't hang out much after that.

• Haha 2

The upper deck box seats (the orange ones) between 1B and 3B were the best seats in baseball according to George Will.  You were close to the field, almost hovering over.  You could hear the voices of the players.  They were superior to the lower level because you could see the whole field, in the lower level, as it is today at most fields, the closer you get the less visibility you have on balls hit to the OF.  I don't prefer that.

I actually would get anxiety when going to games at Tiger Stadium because if it looked too crowded then I would anticipate behind behind a post.  And it wasn't just about being directly behind a post.  If you were more than a few rows behind the posts, anywhere in the row, then your view was obstructed. A post could block the left fielder.  And of course you had the overhang in both lower and upper. In the lower deck it was worse.  You'd lose sight of a ball hit in the air.

What we miss about Tiger Stadium is the "romance" side of it.  But otherwise beyond the sight lines there was always a cold and damp feeling there.  60 degree temperature games meant it was 45 inside the stadium.   

Back in 2001-2005 I had access to seats in the lower portion of the Upper Deck that had great views into the visitor's dugout. Loved those seats. Most of the time I had practically the whole section to myself

Edited by CMRivdogs

47 minutes ago, oblong said:

The upper deck box seats (the orange ones) between 1B and 3B were the best seats in baseball according to George Will. 

and he was right. Problem was there weren't enough of them (good seats that is)

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

One of my prized possesions are these tigers seats. My kids were little and we did not have much disposable income back then and my wife almost killed me but the rest is history!

IMG_2742.jpeg

I'll never forgive myself for not getting some.  My kids were also young and I had just had to pay for some things, including two tuxedo rentals for a wedding and at that very moment I couldn't justify the few hundred.

I don't make that mistake anymore.  I always tell myself "In 5 years I won't miss this money"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'll never forgive myself for not getting some.  My kids were also young and I had just had to pay for some things, including two tuxedo rentals for a wedding and at that very moment I couldn't justify the few hundred.

I don't make that mistake anymore.  I always tell myself "In 5 years I won't miss this money"

I see them pop up every now and then on FB marketplace.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

One of my prized possesions are these tigers seats. My kids were little and we did not have much disposable income back then and my wife almost killed me but the rest is history!

IMG_2742.jpeg

I have a pair also and the shipping $ to California had me sleeping in the garage for a awhile as well..😀

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

So Meadows hits a homer and walks and then sits the next day against a right-hander ? Isn't that lost momentuem ? 

You would think so. But then again, I never attended Stanford so I sit in the bleacher seats.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

So Meadows hits a homer and walks and then sits the next day against a right-hander ? Isn't that lost momentuem ? 

True, but there is also a method to Hinch's madness. If you want players to believe that they don't have to worry about the outcome of their individual ABs, that they just need to stay with their plans, then for them to believe you, you have to commit to not sitting them every time their outcomes are bad, but the necessary flipside of that is you don't change your line-up plans just because someone has a good outcome day either. Now one can certainly say the whole idea is wrong and that riding hot hands is a better management strategy overall. But that's a broader discussion. I think Hinch is being consistent within the system he is implementing. 

IIRC, Sparky was big on giving guys off when they were on hot streaks. I was never really on board with that, but then again, I always thought Sparky was over rated as a manager. Not saying he was bad or anything, and he a huge personality, but a lot of guys could have won with the talent he had.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1