5/4/24 1:10PM Tigers @ Yankees

What does Tork have to do to get benched? Attack a teammate? Slash Hinch's tires? Seriously...Torkelbust should be sent to Erie...do not pass Toledo...do not collect $200 million. Just....go away. Addition by subtraction. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I get it.  His hot start proves that he is superstar!!!

Nobody has ever said that. What we're saying is if a player is on a hot streak, the manager should open his eyes and hit him in front of the better hitter. Score runs. But don't be afraid and say maybe he'll cool off tomorrow...next week or in a few weeks. Adjust your batting order to maximize run production. Somebody should write a book and maybe Hinch will follow it. 😆

Posted (edited)

Malloy deserves a shot, let Canha and Ibanez handle first.

There is real and meaningful baseball to be played here, and I dont know if they can wait out or work out whatever Tork is going through with him in the big leagues right now.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

What does Tork have to do to get benched? Attack a teammate? Slash Hinch's tires? Seriously...Torkelbust should be sent to Erie...do not pass Toledo...do not collect $200 million. Just....go away. Addition by subtraction. 

The ONLY reason he's here is because he's a 1OA pick...and that's also the reason he's not in Toledo; imo, Harris and AJ both know if he goes to Toledo he'll suck there as well and his 1OA/mlb career will be officially bricked.  I mean, what do they do with him if he goes to Toledo and has a negatibe WAR there?!  He'd be done-zo.

Edited by Dtrain72

36 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Perez does not have any kind of track record, so I am not building an order around him.  I am fine with Canha leading off and Greene batting second.  Over the course of a season, Greene would lose about 36 PA by batting 3rd instead of first. 

It's fun to talk about batting orders, but Having Geene bat third instead of first is probably worth maybe 5 runs over the course of a season and I am not sure it would go in the direction you think.  In the end, batting orders are not that important especially when you've got 4 or 5 .450 OPS guys playing regularly.

I just double checked his minor league numbers, and I kinda want to push back on this. He was young for his level almost the whole way up, and has put up some pretty good numbers in the minors the last two years, particularly on the OBP side. It was defensive problems that hampered his prospect stock, particularly a case of the yips last year.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Nobody has ever said that. What we're saying is if a player is on a hot streak, the manager should open his eyes and hit him in front of the better hitter. Score runs. But don't be afraid and say maybe he'll cool off tomorrow...next week or in a few weeks. Adjust your batting order to maximize run production. Somebody should write a book and maybe Hinch will follow it. 😆

Fire AJ Hinch!

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Malloy deserves a shot, let Canha and Ibanez handle first

I don't think Ibanez has played 1st this year. Not saying he can't, just I don't think he has. Urshela has...I think. But a correction needs to be made, Tork is good for only one thing, hitting home runs. And that dog don't hunt.

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

I just double checked his minor league numbers, and I kinda want to push back on this. He was young for his level almost the whole way up, and has put up some pretty good numbers in the minors the last two years, particularly on the OBP side. It was defensive problems that hampered his prospect stock, particularly a case of the yips last year.

I meant he has no MLB track record.  His minor league on base track record is good.  I hope he sustains it in the majors.  

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Today his approach was actually better. He swung at some 1st pitch strikes, and the final DP ball was smoked. What will probably happen is that he will start figuring it out just as patience runs out and he is sent to Toledo - where he will hit a ton and be called back and everyone will say Toledo straightened him out when it will have had nothing to do with it. 

I don't think Ibanez has played 1st this year. Not saying he can't, just I don't think he has. Urshela has...I think. But a correction needs to be made, Tork is good for only one thing, hitting home runs. And that dog don't hunt.

It's fair...

I so think that if Tork goes down, Malloy ought to be the one coming up. Huira is the popular choice because he's a primary first baseman, but we need to see what Malloy has and, ****ty of a situation as it is, it presents an opportunity for him IMO

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Fire AJ Hinch!

If that's the only way to change the lineup, I agree. No manager should ever be so stubborn to not making the necessary changes to get the most out of a lineup. The problem is, the Tigers will score 6 or 7 runs once a week or so and Hinch thinks he's justified. But he's not, just very stubborn. And then I hear people say it doesn't matter if we win or not, we're just evaluating young players. But it's hard to evaluate players unless you put them in the best position to succeed.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's fair...

I so think that if Tork goes down, Malloy ought to be the one coming up. Huira is the popular choice because he's a primary first baseman, but we need to see what Malloy has and, ****ty of a situation as it is, it presents an opportunity for him IMO

Hiura also has a 6/1 upward mobility clause. Worth keeping in the ol' noggin as the month progresses.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If that's the only way to change the lineup, I agree. No manager should ever be so stubborn to not making the necessary changes to get the most out of a lineup. The problem is, the Tigers will score 6 or 7 runs once a week or so and Hinch thinks he's justified. But he's not, just very stubborn. And then I hear people say it doesn't matter if we win or not, we're just evaluating young players. But it's hard to evaluate players unless you put them in the best position to succeed.

I don't think batting Perez in front of Greene is going to make any difference in the ability to score runs.  I would wager that Hinch agrees.  

Edited by Tiger337

Perhaps AJ's arguably not doing enough to maximize the lineup, but any givem game he's got at least 3-4 blackhole batters that he has to strategize for...only so much a chef can cook with when 1/3 of his ingedients are poop.

• Thanks 1