5/5/24 1:35PM Tigers @ Yankees

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm not worried about any kind of spending yet...

There's still some more "Sifting" to do before we get to external spending decisions...

IMO.

And I do NOT have a timeline for that...

It goes more along the lines of: If we don't have it MLB, or in the minors, or Harris can work a trade for it (it being a "black hole position... let's call it "Shortstop", which is what we have at the moment...): And we are playoff-competitive...

Then go and spend the money.

Whenever (whatever timeline) that may be...

But many teams have a much shorter timeline in their rebuilds. We have Riley Greene right now, we can't take so long that we waste his career. And I really hate to hear we're waiting on some Toledo players, that means at least 2 more years of evaluating. And if they don't make an impact at the ML level, the Tigers will either need to spend or try rebuilding thru the draft. And that would be another 5 years or so.

34 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm not worried about any kind of spending yet...

There's still some more "Sifting" to do before we get to external spending decisions...

IMO.

And I do NOT have a timeline for that...

It goes more along the lines of: If we don't have it MLB, or in the minors, or Harris can work a trade for it (it being a "black hole position... let's call it "Shortstop", which is what we have at the moment...): And we are playoff-competitive...

Then go and spend the money.

Whenever (whatever timeline) that may be...

There are a number of MudHens who are worth looking at but I don't think there is anybody there that is worth holding up the re-build over.  Jung is promising, but he may be as ready as Keith.  I think it's time for them to start looking at trades this off-season.  They could possibly make free agent signings too, although that's not usually the best way build.  With their pitching depth, I think they are getting close to where they can contend for a playoff spot with some clever moves.    

5 hours ago, casimir said:

Is it getting shorter?  How long of a leash did Avila have?

If shorter means a decrease from 12 years to 10, yeah sure.  Does anyone actually think that Harris will be under any sort of job pressure in the foreseeable future?  

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

If shorter means a decrease from 12 years to 10, yeah sure.  Does anyone actually think that Harris will be under any sort of job pressure in the foreseeable future?  

Seems highly doubtful that Harris is in jeopardy.

I had not seen this quote from Hinch after Saturday night’s game regarding Tork and his offensive struggles.

You see him steadily moving down in the order,” Hinch said, “and the next stop is next to me. We’re trying to keep supporting him because he’s a good player. But he’s not in a good spot.”

10 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Swept on the road by one of thee best teams in baseball and the sky is falling. Jeez.

and a decent chance to win all 3.

Why can't fans be happy that this org and team is no longer an embarassment?  We are watching a toddler learn to walk and run and instead of marvelling at the progress we're yelling at it for falling down and crying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

and a decent chance to win all 3.

Why can't fans be happy that this org and team is no longer an embarassment?  We are watching a toddler learn to walk and run and instead of marvelling at the progress we're yelling at it for falling down and crying. 

And like that toddler, there will be moments of sheer amazement, punctuated by uncontrollable laughter.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I had not seen this quote from Hinch after Saturday night’s game regarding Tork and his offensive struggles.

You see him steadily moving down in the order,” Hinch said, “and the next stop is next to me. We’re trying to keep supporting him because he’s a good player. But he’s not in a good spot.”

In a dozen games prior to the trip to Tampa, Tork's OPS was 750, low Ks, good walk rate. Since the Tampa trip his OPS is 406, one walk, high Ks. Almost like a someone flipped a switch. Something got in his head -- or he's nursing an injury he won't admit to.

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Prudent? Didn't Chris OK the Javy signing? Huge mistake. I think our payroll is under $100 million. One of the first decisions Harris had to make was Candelario. We got Nick Maton instead. Saved some money but made us a worse team. Luckily, Avila left Harris some good pitching.

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but didn't they get Matt Vierling as well in that deal?

People love to bitch about Nick Maton not working out, but FFS, there's a pretty good argument that despite 2 of the 3 players being gone, they clearly won that trade anyway.

Edited by mtutiger

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but didn't they get Matt Vierling as well in that deal?

IIRC - we didn't deal Candelario, we cut him to avoid the arb payout.

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IIRC - we didn't deal Candelario, we cut him to avoid the arb payout.

In all seriousness, I'm aware, and Maton didn't end up a viable replacement. 

But the commentary around that particular deal tends to lack context.... one reason being that Gregory Soto isn't that valuable of a commodity and has demonstrated that in a Phillies uniforim for the most part, the second being that despite Maton and Donnie Sands leaving the organization, the one remaining player from the deal has been a more valuable piece than Gregory Soto would have been to this team. Especially early on in this season.

I know it's not necessarily the point that SF was trying to make, but it really irks me that that deal sort of gets treated like a Scott Harris failure... in terms of results, it just clearly not. Even if Nick Maton didn't work out.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2